Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:17 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to lexxity
Default law suit

i was just reading the cunard board and somebody is intending to bring a class action suit against cunard for (i assume) the poor service in the britannia restaurant! Now am i the only one who thinks this might be taking things a little too far? does this mean we will be able to sue for poor service anywhere? Now i know litigation is rife these days, but come on. It was a 4 dayer to nowhere, if you felt let down complain to the company, you don't waste more in lawyers fees suing than you spent on the cruise.

rant over,
sorry,
had to get it off my chest.

i'm off to dance now
byeeee
lexx

Queen Elizabeth 2 - Trans-Atlantic 2001
Queen Mary 2 - Caribbean - 2004
Queen Mary 2 - Mediterranean - 2004

QM2 Transatlantic
QE2 40th Anniversary Round Britain Cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:58 AM
Whiteknight

Default Re: law suit

It's probably just an idle threat. Suits against the cruiselines have to go thru the International Maritime Courts in Miami and it takes an act of God just to get it on their docket within 5 years if at all, much less think about winning something. It's not a total loss though. It'll give their legal department a good laugh. It's awfully hard to fool the guys who helped make the rules.
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:56 PM
AR

Suits are one thing. Yes, you can sue anybody you want for anything you want.

Winning them is something else entirely.

I'd guess it would be a serious uphill fight to win one like this. But some people have a lot of time on their hands, not to mention deep pockets.
Old July 21st, 2004, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I don't think they have any chance to win, what another stupid lawsuit.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 21st, 2004, 10:25 PM
First Mate

The passengers can file a suit if they want, but I bet that the lawyers for Cunard have the company pretty well protected. From reading the thread it looks like they want to file for both bad service and the missed fireworks show in New York.

1) Service is a very subjective matter. Seems like they would have to prove negligence on the part of Cunard which would be very hard to do.

2) No matter what was used as a selling point we all know that the cruise lines only guarantee you a cabin for the length of your cruise. They don't guarantee ports, excursions or the like so that seems to be a pretty weak case as well. Additionally, it looks like Cunard got them alternate arrangements to see a different show in Rhode Island. Seems like the best they could do in the circumstances.

What I find interesting is a what if scenario...What if Cunard had kept the ship in New York harbor and a terrorist incident would of happened. During the incident, passengers on the cruise ship were injured and killed. Then they (or survivors) would have sued Cunard for not taking adequate safety measures. Tough choice.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old July 21st, 2004, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Good answer Dale..and we all know that you can sue anyone at anytime for anything..winning is something else..I think someone already said that.

Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:53 AM
seabee

As is the case woith many suits, there is a good chance that Cunard will settle to avoid going to court. Therefore the idiot wins something...or rather his lawyer does...wait a minute, maybe the lawyer is the idiot! Anyway, we need to get a handle on this by requiring the loser to pay court cost...that way it will cost you to bring forth a frivilous lawsiut. course that will never happen since lawyers write all the laws!
Old July 23rd, 2004, 01:36 PM
Jane_Marlow

That fool is wasting the court's time. The line does not guarrantee a "good time".