Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Default Computer Virus Warning!!! Important, Please Read.

There is a virus going around right now called the W32.Blaster.Worm or the W32/Lovsan.Worm. If you have this virus, when you attempt to connect to the internet, a warning message appears telling you you have a major error and that your system is about to be shut down. The system then reboots.

~ Make sure you have the latest updates to your virus scan software. If you are able to connect to the internet long enough, download the latest virus definition files and reboot. Then run a complete virus scan of your system.

~ Also search your hard drive for the file "MSBLAST.EXE" - if you find it, you have the virus! Follow the instructions in the following two bullets.

~ Microsoft has created a patch. It is downloadable here. If you have the virus, in many cases you must download the patch before you can remove the virus. If you are not infected, the patch will prevent the virus from infecting your system.

~ McAfee has posted information about the virus and what to do if you have their virus scan software here. Norton has done the same thing here.

At the very least, everyone needs to ensure their virus scan software is up-to-date and run regular scans. Also download the Microsoft patch.

Here is an article about the virus.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Post Edited (08-12-03 09:31)
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Computer Virus Warning!!! Important, Please Read.

Michelle, I can't believe you posted this today, I tried logging on to my laptop last night and was unsuccessful, I got this message you are talking about. I will try this procedure. Do you think there are any long term effects this might leave on my laptop?
Old August 12th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Computer Virus Warning!!! Important, Please Read.

Our systems administrator informs me that it doesn't appear to have any long-term effects. But it's still important to get rid of the virus ASAP. Download the patch and follow the instructions from your virus-scan software.

Since the virus impairs your internet ability, you might consider downloading the patch and virus-scan definition files on another computer, burning them to a floppy or CD, and installing them on your laptop from there.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 12th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Yup... I have the virus.. but when I try and download the patch, the machine shuts down before I get through the process! Dont have time between now and when I leave to figure this out.
Have to get my sons to deal with it.

Surprised because I thought my anti virus software was pretty current.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 12th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Admiral

I just downloaded the latest definition files from Norton to protect my laptop. An urgent message came over our company system. Called the wife at home and she said we have the virus on our machine there. It keeps shutting down windows.

Some idiots have nothing better to do.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 12th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Michelle, whenever I try to get the latest Window Update all I get is a blank screen. Do you think this might be because the web site is overwhelmed with users?

regards,
Thomas
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Yup, if you can't download the files you need because of the virus, the easiest thing is to download them on another computer, burn them to disk and transfer them to your affected computer.

Our systems admin guy said he downloaded new virus definition files two days ago and they didn't detect this virus. It is brand new.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 12th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Admiral

I'm getting the same thing Thomas. They're either overloaded or they're updating the system.

The worm is set to bombard Windows Update and overload it on August 16. I know Microsoft is working frantically to install techniques to prevent this. It could be that they are doing some sort of maintenance toward that end which is momentarily preventing the site from being accessible.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 12th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Admiral

I have the latest definition files on my laptop now. If I download them onto a disk and then try to put them on my machine at home, how can I do this when the computer won't power up Windows?

I remember when these things ran on MS-DOS platform you could slide a disk in the A: drive when powering up and that was the first thing the CPU read. Then you could manage files through DOS. But now since the platform is Windows does it still work the same way?

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 12th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Got the fix done on my office computer. Home desk top is creating more of a problem to fix.
And my home laptop, the only machine not infected with the virus, froze from a different cause while installing the windows update, and now it won't even boot up. UGGHH.

Weird...and hard to believe, but this is the first virus I've ever got, that made it through the anti virus software.

Old August 12th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Admiral

I've got the anti-virus definition files on my laptop to fix the virus on my home computer. However, the definition file is 4 meg and it won't fit on a floppy and my cd drive is read only. Yuk.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 12th, 2003, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Wow , this all sounds like Greek to me. If I get the virus, I will have to shut everything down til Jake gets home. For now I've checked Norton and updated everything. So far so good.

Thanks Michelle for the warning and the info to try and take care of it.

Phyll

Old August 12th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Unfortunately I'm no expert, so I'm not sure what to do if you can't access the internet.

Here's what Norton says about removing the virus (hope it's not against the rules to post this, as it may help someone, plus I've tweaked it a bit):

Manual Removal
As an alternative to using the removal tool, you can manually remove this threat.

Important Notes:

W32.Blaster.Worm exploits the DCOM RPC vulnerability. This is described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026, and a patch is available there. You must download and install the patch. In many cases, you will need to do this before you can continue with the removal instructions. If you are not able to remove the infection or prevent re-infection using the following instructions, first download and install the patch.
Because of the way the worm works, it may be difficult to connect to the Internet to obtain the patch, definitions, or removal tool before the worm shuts down the computer. It has been reported that, for users of Windows XP, activating the Windows XP firewall may allow you to download and install the patch, obtain virus definitions, and run the removal tool. This may also work with other firewalls, although this has not been confirmed.
Disable System Restore (Windows XP).
Update the virus definitions.
End the Trojan process.
Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as W32.Blaster.Worm.
Reverse the changes that the Trojan made to the registry.

For details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. Disabling System Restore (Windows XP)
If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:
"How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore"
"How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore"

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder," Article ID: Q263455.

2. Updating the virus definitions
Download the latest virus definition files from either Norton or McAfee. See if your virus scan software has an "auto-update" or "live update" feature that will do it automatically.

3. Ending the Worm process
To end the Trojan process:
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once.
Click Task Manager.
Click the Processes tab.
Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes.
Scroll through the list and look for msblast.exe.
If you find the file, click it, and then click End Process.
Exit the Task Manager.

4. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
Start your antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
Run a full system scan.
If any files are detected as infected with W32.Blaster.Worm, click Delete.

5. Reversing the changes made to the registry
CAUTION: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for instructions.

Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
Type regedit

Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)

Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

In the right pane, delete the value:

"windows auto update"="msblast.exe"

Exit the Registry Editor.

Hope this helps someone.
Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 12th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Darn, isn't there an easier way? I tried to click on the link above to get instructions to turn off windows System Restore and got a "page cannot be displayed" message. Apparently too many users again.

Regards,
Thomas (who can't understand why a program can't be written to just click on and it scans your machine and fixes the problem)
Old August 12th, 2003, 03:24 PM
First Mate

Thomas,
What windows are you using? It could be that you login as normal user without admin privilege and it won't let you change the system properties.

In a previous post you asked about booting to DOS, try this to see if it will work:
1. turn on PC
2. immediately press and hold down the F8 key until you see a menu offering you boot-up choices.
3. select the command prompt option

Another thing to try is to use the steps above and pick safe-mode from the boot up menu. Then see if you can update the virus signatures and run your scan.
Old August 12th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Thomas, I think I remember you saying you have Norton? If so, they do have a removal tool for this worm. Follow the instructions and it ought to work for you.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 12th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Yep, we were hit yesterday with this virus. Shut down our people in the field. Guess who got to spend ALL of today insalling the "fix" and the "patches"? Our computer guy was overwhelmed with all of the other sites that were hit...so I got to play "computer guru" today. It is really quite tiring. Not to mention, that I didn' t get any of my work done today. Seems this virus is only affecting Windows 2000, XP and possibly 2003?
I have ME at home and it didn't affect it ...and we have a couple of Windows 98 at work that were not affected. Our computerguy thinks there will be an even stronger virus within a week. Keep your antivirus up to date!

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old August 12th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

How is the virus coming through does it come via email?

Lauri

First Cruise Radiance - Alaska

Old August 12th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the info Michelle checked in at lunch, saw your warning, checked McAfee, everyothing is running fine. Thanks again!

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old August 12th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Admiral

This has been known for a month or so and if you happened to find out about it or receive a war4ning from Microsoft you could have gone to MSN.com and downloaded a patch that keeps this from attacking your computer. Fortunately we had done so and because of this and Norton it has not affected my home computer.
JIm

Old August 12th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Thanks Michelle for that info. My computer's been down off and on for 2 days, and it seems like I have the virus, despite all the anti-virus stuff we have. Will check out your recommendations. As if I don't have enough to do (PACKING!!)

donna

Old August 12th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Well I got my home computer fixed. I copied the blasterfix.exe file from work onto a floppy and powered up my home computer. As soon as I could access the floppy drive I ran the fix-it program before the worm had a chance to shut down windows. Once the program found the virus and deleted it I was able to run a Norton scan and download a patch.

Back in business again...............until the next worm/virus comes.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 13th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Liane

Michelle,
Yep, I pretty much sat here all day at work and did NOTHING but research for the cruise. Getting paid to find shore excursions is pretty cool. So, we're doing the dolphin swim in Cozumel and horesback riding/snorkeling/reef runner at Tres Rios in Playa del Carmen/Cancun.
Old August 13th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Jim,

Yep when hubby got home I asked him about it and he said he had downloaded the patch quite a while ago. So far so good! Patches are important!

First Cruise Radiance - Alaska

Old August 13th, 2003, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Excellent, Thomas, glad you're back in business. Just keep updating your definition files... and back up that hard drive!

Liane, hope they get your system up and running too.

Sounds like the worst of this one is behind us, folks... but I'm sure there will be more to come, so stay vigilant.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 13th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Lauri, I see no one has answered your question.

This virus is not spread by e-mail. Infected computers scan the internet looking for other machines running Windows that have an open security hole -- one that has not been "patched" or given a fix from Microsoft. The worm then sends itself to those computers.

You can get the virus by just being connected to the internet.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 13th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Admiral

OK.. this puter dummy needs help. My computer at work has been "repaired" and is virus free.
To copy the "fix" to a floppy to take home... what am I looking to copy, and where do I find it?

Old August 13th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Kuki, go to symantec.com and you should find it there. Download it to your laptop and then copy the file onto a floppy. Take it home and power up your computer with the disk ready to go in the drive. Click on run as soon as possible and then point it to the floppy.

That's what I did and it worked.

Regards.
Thomas
Old August 13th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Well, whatever I am doing it works for me. I don't have the virus despite the fact that I am connected to the Web practically 24 hours a day. I haven't had a virus in over 2 years.

I have a Linksys hub for my cable modem with a built-in firewall. And I use McAfee which I update from the web everytime it notifies me that an update is available. I also update my windows everytime I get a message from MicroSoft that Windows updates are available.

Oh, I also NEVER open an attachment unless it is a .doc ,jpg or .gif
and never any of those unless I know the persoon who sent it to me.

I also have active-x disabled for my email.

Old August 13th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Admiral

You're lucky Paul, some of those steps, especially updating McAfee regularly, are protecting you from the most common types of viruses.

Some nerds out there consider it a challenge to beat the anti-virus software, therefore write programs which infect your machine before the anti-virus software companies can recognize it and create a fix.

Regards,
Thomas