CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Who Have You Met? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/264911-who-have-you-met.html)

Trip August 16th, 2003 09:39 AM

Who Have You Met?

Part of what I love about cruising is meeting people from around the world...Since a child, I have loved geography, love to people watch, and get to know the lay of the land on the islands I have sailed to...So, my question to all Cruisemates is: From what country,was the most interesting person /people, you have met on your cruise...On one cruise we sat at dinner with about 4 Dutch men, who regailed us with lively stories, on another ,we sat with a 3 generation family, Mother, Son and Grandson, and I had the ability to enjoy thier first time sail through 3 different sets of perspective..The Mum also went to Novel Quest with us....She pulled out her choppers for the team without a care, and I gave the teenage boy a big wet one...I'm sure all the tongues in London were wagging when he got home:):) From the airpot to the terminal to the muster onboard, we have such a wonderful opportunity to bond with other travelers from around the globe...Who have you met? Trip/ Monday Chat Host

belgique August 16th, 2003 10:48 AM

Re: Who Have You Met?

On a Baseball Cruise on the Norway a few years ago, I was one of the few female baseball "nuts" who attended every lecture, game, cocktail party, quiz and discussion. There were "The Legends"(retired players)and "The Players" (current players).

Imagine my delight one night sitting in an intimate cocktail lounge between Minnie Minoso and Maury Wills, with Herb Score, Buddy Biancalaga and Reggie Sanders sitting around the same table! Later that evening, met Paul Sorrento and Dave Parker and chatted.

I was truly the "Queen of Diamonds" for 7 days and nights!

dezertcruzer August 16th, 2003 11:15 AM

I have met so many interesting people on my cruises!

On my first cruise I met the man who is now my husband. He was my waiter and he is from Costa Rica. I gained a wonderful second family and a beautiful country when I married him.

On our RCI Voyager of the Seas cruise in 2000, we were seated at a table for six with two young couples in their 20's. One couple was on their honeymoon and had never been on a cruise before. They were delightful in their wonder, innocence and strong religious faith. Young and old at the same table. They saw some things through our eyes, and we through theirs.

On the Let's Get Lei'd Cruise we met a bunch of Cruise Mates from the board here, and what a delight that was! Lifetime friendships were formed, and I wouldn't have given up that cruise for anything!

As just an interesting aside, we have been to all-inclusive resorts 3 times, the most recent being last month at El Cozumeleņo Beach Resort in Cozumel, Mexico. The difference between the resorts and cruises is amazing in the friendship-forming aspect. Even though we met interesting people at all 3 resorts, the connection which fires the drive to remain in contact in the future just isn't forged the way it is among cruisers. We cruisers are a special breed, a breed apart, I guess! LOL!

Tweety August 16th, 2003 12:39 PM

Haven't met any celebrities, but have certainly me and formed many friendships with cruisers from all over this country and others.

Cruising on a Cruisemates cruise is in itself an experience. I got to meet so many people whose names were household words but had never had the pleasure of meeting. Trip, the Queen of Shopping and such a lovely lady, Helen & Ray, with so many stories to tell, Cher, who we don't see enough of, Marylou, sweetness itself, Donna, wise and funny, Robo, such a great guy, Steve, so interesting and very kind, Anne, so worldly and wise, Paul, who's so quiet you have to look to find him and then there's Kuki. I've cruised with him so many times I think we must be related or something. There's Ron & Ferne from Las Vegas who are just too much like me and Mama and Dave and Simi who are part of my cruising family, Ernie, funny, interesting and among the missing at this time, others like Phyl, never cruised with her but love her just the same, Susan, who told me she was a loner, NOT. And of course CruiseAholic, who could forget CA who never ceases to amaze and surprise. I'm sure I have forgotten more than I've remembered, but suffice it to say I wouldn't trade knowing these people for anything. So glad we met.

I could go on for such a long time, but these people have become long time friends and for me that's what cruising is all about.

Donna August 16th, 2003 07:08 PM

My list isn't as long as Tweety's, but hopefully some day it will. I've met quite a few of the bunch from Cruisemates and I have to agree, it is an expierence!! Have another one coming up next year which should be even more of an expirence, getting to meet more of the gang we just chat with nightly, its like we really do know on another, but just not face/face.

One of the great things about cruising and having access to this wonderful forum, Cruisemates!!

DanaB August 16th, 2003 09:30 PM

Probably our Turkish waiter, whom we had the pleasure of having gotten to know on both Sovereign cruises, and I have stayed in touch with since that first cruise back in December. We will have lots to talk about this next time now that I have a Turkish boyfriend, ha ha. He is just back from his 8 week holiday, I can't wait to hear all about it when we are back on the ship in a few weeks! I just wish my b/f could go, waaah.

Dana

Lee and Kelli August 16th, 2003 11:21 PM

Years ago we went on a cruise on the Sea Breeze.... now resting on the bottom of the
atlantic ocean. We sat among three tables of people "on holiday" from England. We
had a wonderful time chatting with them and sharing questions and concerns about
our two countries. We met one gentleman who was at least 75 and he was going on
back to back cruises on the Sea Breeze before his flight back to London. All these
people we met were very much fun and we enjoyed our time with them. I still have the
address of that older gentleman, maybe I should send him a note and see how he
liked his cruises and if he went on any others????? You meet the nicest people on
a cruise.. People tend to relax and enjoy being on the ship! Lee and Kelli

James Hubbard August 17th, 2003 08:24 PM

Re: Re: Who Have You Met?

We met a couple from England too. Very nice people....I like thier accent.Also met a couple from Md. She looked just like Maryln Monroe..........all lovely people. Jim

nushnakka August 18th, 2003 08:12 AM

We met celebrities Tom Parks and then a father and son acrobat team (can't remember their names). That was pretty cool.

Of course you always meet interesting people from all over but on one cruise our table mates I found out live a few miles from where I grew up. Small world indeed.

pamda August 19th, 2003 01:47 AM

I don't count ... I just enjoy !!!

Ginnie August 19th, 2003 08:57 PM

Re: Re: Who Have You Met?

The most interesting people we have ever met were on our 2 Australia/New Zealand cruises. The people from these 2 countries are wonderful and have a wicked sense of humor. We made lifetime friends on the 2 cruises, and we have visited one couple in Melbourne, Australia, that we had befriended on our first cruise down under.
Ginnie