Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 18th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Default Poll: Cruise Pet Peeve- Rudeness in the buffet line!

My cruise pet peeve is people in the buffet lines that are rude:

I have had one too many trays jammed up over the top of mine and way too many people running to cut in front of me just so that they can get to a strategic location for grabbing handfuls of the greasy soggy bacon. Little do they know I don't even like greasy soggy bacon.

Also I hate it when people dart out in front of you when you are walking with a tray, and they don't even attempt to look where they are going, meanwhile after impact, beverages spill, etc. Often they are outraged that you were in their way, rather than simply saying excuse me.

Then there was the lady on the Celebrity Zenith that every day would use about 20 pieces of lemon to make her own glass of lemonade at the ice tea "fixings" station. This lady had long skanky fingernails and then put all of her used lemons back in the metal container for others to unknowingly re-use, after she had squeezed out all the juice with her claws. Yuck!

End of rant!

Do any of you have issues like these that bug you?
Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Poll: Cruise Pet Peeve- Rudeness in the buffet line!

Totally!! Millions of them! that's why we have the Cruise Gripes message board here:
http://cruise-forums.com/forums/list.php?f=41

I won't say anything about my gripe for people posting to the wrong topic!! (just kidding).

Old August 18th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Dean Renner

Chuck,

Have to agree with you on the buffet issue. I think the more crowded the buffet is, the more crabby people become, and want to jump in and out of line. It's an issue of manners (or the lack of......!)

The new Windjammer layout is one thing I really liked about the Radiance of the Seas.

I guess my pet peeve is when parents let their youngsters run wild around the pool area when you're trying to relax. Of course to alleviate that, I could always take longer cruises!

Dean
Old August 18th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Sorry, wasn't thinking about cruise gripes section...

Oh damn, I goofed again!

That nun was right, there is no hope for me! ;-)
Old August 18th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Chuck, if you had posted in cruise gripes, I would never have read this and wouldn't have had this little chuckle. So thanks and forget about the nun what did she know?

Carnival Glory
Old August 18th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think you will always see those minor problems with the buffet. I will sometimes simply go around some people if I don't want anything in that section.

I did really enjoy the way the Windjammer Cafe is on Radiance, mutiple stations that have 2 sides of the same thing, so you can just more around to the area where you want that type of food, never any lines and they use both sides so each different station actually has 2 of the same, just opposite sides, great idea.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 18th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Chuck you relly hit the nail on the head on this one! I know that it isn;t all old folks but a disproportinate number are so very rude in these lines! They cut in front of everyone with the remark, "oh, I just wanted to get a little of this". Well hello lady, so do the rest of us which is why we are in line! I was getting a couple glasses of iced tea for my wife and I and set one of them down while I poured the second glass, an old lady reached over and grabbed my glass and took off with it! Didn't even say thank you! <> The long filthy fingernail is another thing and the poking of food to see what it is also gets all over me. Are they checking to see if it's still alive or what? I know I am very particuliar about my food and utensils but really people, lets be a little more hygenic and polite when in the buffet lines.
Jim

PS Oh, lets not forget about the guy with the sleeveless shirt and hairy armpits that has to reach waaayyy across the entire tray to get the piece he wants.

Old August 18th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

OK...yuck, feh, and gimme a break, its true, the buffet line can get you cranky, this I know from experience....one time after we had been through the line we sat with a nice bunch of people...we thought...till one lady sprayed crumbs, every time she spoke after taking a bite oh lordy....pass the windshield......Trip / Monday Chat Host
Old August 18th, 2003, 06:04 PM
First Mate

Buffet line? What's a buffet line? If the dining room isn't open, it's not time to eat yet!

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old August 18th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Marion Paris

Chuck:

You really make me laugh!

Don't you know those nuns were never right!!!!!!!!!

They said the same thing about me.
Old August 18th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Myles

Inconvenience is always going to be a problem with the buffet. Sometimes someone is in line who finds it an effort to walk, much less try to put food on a plate. It's like getting behind someone on the freeway going 20 mph, but it's just one of those things that good manners requires our indulgence. Sometimes someone wants a second serving of just one item or a roll and it seems a shame to have to go through the entire line for that. And my main problem is that I usually have to go through 2 lines because I like a salad with my meal and salads are in a separate line from the meals. Of course I go through both lines in my turn, as it wouldn't be fair to jump ahead of others. I just make sure I get the salad first and the meal second so it doesn't get cold before I have a chance to eat it. I wouldn't even get into the problem of having to go through 3 lines, when you see something you want in the international cuisine line, the American cuisine line and the salad line, not to mention the oriental food line. It really gets quite complicated if everything you want is in different lines and that has happened many times. But it still beats eating my own cooking, so I'll just grin and bear it. So you can see that the occasional rudeness that I have to endure is the least of my problems with the buffet, although it is a problem that needs to be addressed.
Old August 19th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Admiral

I agree that rudeness and bad hygiene are rampant at buffets.

However, I don't see anything wrong with cutting in line just to get one thing, like a piece of bread. If I just want to get a piece of bread I don't see any point in waiting in the entire line.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 19th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Admiral

whatever happened to " excuse me, but could i just cut in here and get some sugar for my tea? i forgot it on my first trip, thank-you so much, have a great day"
Old August 19th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

Princess (which has the worst buffet setup, in my opinion) is famous for this -- especially people walking right in front of you as you exit and not saying, "excuse me."

Harry
Old August 19th, 2003, 03:04 PM
First Mate

We just got off the Carnival Pride last Wednesday that went to Bermuda. They have short lines at the buffet at different stations, but it was the same no matter where you were waiting. People cut in front of us all the time, saying oh, I just wanted this or that. But really, my biggest pet peeve of all of them, no it isn't saving lounge chairs with towels and then never coming back to your chair (they did this a lot of this last cruise ) my biggest complaint is the smokers, smoking in the non-smoking areas. It always has been my biggest concern because I have allergies and asthma, but the crew did absolutely nothing about people smoking in the non-smoking areas. This was my 30th cruise and I keep on cruising and just keep moving away from the smokers as much as I can. I haven't tried the Carnival Paradise yet (which is a non-smoking ship) but I think it will be in my future plans......
Happy Cruising......Anita
Old August 19th, 2003, 03:49 PM
MichelleM

People grabbing food with their bare hands is my big gross out. Usually it is little kids and I get more irriated with the non-existant parents then the kids because they are too young to know better. But there is no excuse for adults. But the best part is after they grab the food with their hands they sort of look around sheepishly to see if anyone else noticed. Thankfully the few times I have seen people do this so did the buffet attendants who promptly pulled the whole serving tray out and replaced it with a new one. Shame to waste all that food but I'm not going to chance the rest of my cruise on the hope they just washed their hands.
Old August 20th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Poll: Cruise Pet Peeve- Rudeness in the buffet line!

That's true, and after all that Norwalk virus fuss the cruiselines can't afford to take a chance. So gross!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 22nd, 2003, 01:49 AM
Admiral

"Those" nails are a subject for an entirely different rant. As are the hairy-pitted guys who have to wear wife-beater T-shirts in areas where food is served.

I always walk the buffet line backwards, peering politely around, no tray in hand, to see what I might WANT to eat. (Lunch-time buffet casseroles are the best weight-loss trick I know.)

Some people (elderly, handicappped) ARE very slow. I usually ask if I can help and if the answer is no, I ask if the person would mind if I passed him/her.

Politeness is NEVER out of fashion.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Poll: Cruise Pet Peeve- Rudeness in the buffet line!

You are so right Pamda!