Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2003, 06:41 AM
First Mate

Default Help! How do I pack for a Canada cruise in early Oct??

We leave Sept 29 for a 5 night cruise on the Serenade from New York, we go to St. John and Halifax. I have only been on 2 other cruises to Caribbean, and know how what clothes to pack for those trips. I need help with what the weather will be like there when I am going. Thanks.

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2003, 06:53 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Help! How do I pack for a Canada cruise in early Oct??

We had gone right after the Sept.11th attack and had worn and packed shorts. Upon arrival someone at the dock said, "did you bring shorts also". It was worm in Boston. She said, "Honey, you are going to Canada". We went out and bought sme pants and a wind breaker. I am sure glad we did. It was a little nippy there. I would suggest pants and light tops. I wouldn't take sweaters or heavy shirts. I think a light jacket would work. Have a great cruise. I sure loved Halifax. They have a lot to do with Tittanic buffs.
Old August 21st, 2003, 07:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

The high temperature for Halifax, Nova Scotia is about 58-64F for early October. This data was posted on a Nova Scotia tourist board.
Old August 21st, 2003, 08:25 AM
Admiral

being a New Englander i think i can help you. I would bring a couple pairs of shorts in case you hit some "Indian Summer" weather.(bring your bathing suit too) Pants are a must,( twills, khakis, cargos) a medium-weight sweater, sweatshirt, light rain jacket, good walking sneakers, you might even want to pack a cotton or linen blazer(for day or evening wear)
Old August 21st, 2003, 09:36 AM
susancruzs

Hi, Salem!

Lisa gives you great advice! I went on the longer 10 day sailing in 2001, Sept. 10th actually, and we had exceptional weather. I wish I would have brought my walking shorts with me but living in the midwest, I figured middle of Sept. won't need them!!!

I rarely wore my windbreaker but you need to think layers because it could be either really nice, high 60's, low 70s or a lot chillier, as in 40s or 50s. Pants, with a tank top or short sleeve shell/tee shirt and then a blouse to go over works great. I like wind breakers because you can fold them easier than a sweater or blazer.

Halifax is wonderful, a place I would enjoy going to again and again. I did a half morning city/harbor tour that gave an overview, then saw the museum, cemetary and display at the pier in the afternoon. There was a nice place near the pier that had shops/restaurants etc., built right over the water. We had a great lunch at one of the places of course, I don't remember the name!

Enjoy your cruise!

Susie
Old August 24th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Yeoman

Early October east coast is similar to early October west coast....so the answer is sweaters, windbreakers, slacks and........ shorts just in case you hit some lucky Indian/summer weather. I'd take a swim suit regardless for the hot tub!!
A small umbrella is nice to have(so you don't get "hat head") and good walking shoes(forget about any summery sandals it won't ever be 'hot" ) I like the idea that someone suggested about a light windbreaker that you can fold up and pack around. Coastal weather is nothing if not totally unpredictable. Also there are those great jackets that are water resistant windbreakers that have a removeable fleece liner for warmth. Go prepared for anything and you'll probaly guarantee yourself awesome weather!
Old August 25th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Lisa has it right, take it from someone who lives "up here" (Montreal), you could use anything from a bathing suit for our beautiful Indian Summer weather, to warm sweaters, long pants and a light jacket, especially for evenings. Shorts and T-shirts might even be OK for the daytime. Have a great cruise, and wave to me as you pass by Montreal in the St. Lawrence River! (P.S. you are sailing on my anniversary!)

donna