Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default How many take 14+ day cruises?

Most of the cruises we take are in Europe , Asia or South pacific. When you are in a Airplane for 11 to 18 hours to get to ship. Taking a 7 day cruise is out for me.

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: How many take 14+ day cruises?

Take the longer cruises whenever possible. I agree after spending that much time in a plane 7 days just wouldn't cut it.

Carnival Glory
Old August 25th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Admiral

We will still take a seven day cruise as our "shorter" vacation, but usually extend even those by a day or two on either end. Most of our cruises lately are 10 and 11 day and we have done 14. Our next scheduled cruise is a 14 day with two days post and two days pre. That he;ps to make the travelling worthwhile.
I guess there are a whole lot of folks who can't take 18 days and frankly can't afford 18 days. Gram would tell you that that is the only reason she still works.
Old August 25th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Guess Helen and I will have to break the ice on this thread.

Our last was 45 days. One before was 70. Several have been 52, 62 and some others that were a tad shorter. Most have been in and around Asia, Across the Pacific, around Africa and into and around the Med and Europe.

So to answer your question BenO we do take 14+ cruises.

Ray
Old August 25th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

I love 14+cruises, no rush to do anything I went from Boston to Aruba and San Diego to Alaska and next Dec. will go to Hawaii for 15 days on the Infinity Looking for one to the Med. Happy Cruising Auguste
Old August 25th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Admiral

The longest one I have taken so far has been 7 days but I'd love to try a 14+ cruise. 7 days even seemed too short.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old August 25th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Admiral

We'll be taking our first 14-day in Dec. on the Zenith. Previously, our longest has been a 10-day W. Med. And we're already looking at a 16-day Baltic in 2004. We've always felt that the 7-day cruises were a bit too short, so I think we'll really like the longer ones.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:55 PM
First Mate

My last cruise (Africa and South America) was ~40 days. While I thoroughly enjoyed the trip, especially the many consecutive days at sea, I think two 20-day cruises might have been a better use of the time. Spending so many days on the same vessel, in the same cabin, eating the same food and seeing the same people dulls the experience. The first few days on board are usually the most interesting. There's the excitement of a new environment and discovery of things to do. After a really long voyage, it feels like you know just about everything there is to know about the ship and are glad to be getting off just for a change of scenery.

On the other hand, cruises less than 10 days are far too short. I need at least a week between the time I 'get my sea legs' and the time I have to start thinking about packing. I suppose a 2-week cruise is about the right length for me, but I'll consider a longer trip when the itinerary warrants it.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:32 PM
AR

Been a while since we took a 7-day. We now do almost exclusively 10-16 days. We enjoy crossings and other repos very much. And we also try to do pre/post land segments.

AR
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Admiral

The longest I have taken so far is 11 days. Our Panama Canal cruise next March will be 16 days. We live in Arizona and usually have to fly cross-country for a cruise, so we usually extend the trip by one or two days at both the beginning and the end of the cruise, which we really enjoy and make a 7-day cruise into more of a vacation. Even next March we plan to fly to Miami on Sunday and the cruise leaves on Wednesday, so a 16-night cruise becomes a19-night vacation. We'll probably fly right home the day we disembark since San Diego is only an hour's flight from here.

Old August 26th, 2003, 08:20 AM
susancruzs

I really like longer cruises! After I do my Glory cruise with Jennifer, I'm not going to do the 7 day variety for awhile, too many other places to see, and no more Caribbean!

I've been on 16 cruises 9 have been 10 days or longer, 7 were the 7 day variety and I vow never to let that number pass my longer cruises!!! :-) I was in my 30s when I started cruising and never, ever considered 3, 4 or 5 days and probably never will!!!

Next year, I'll be seeking advice from those of you who have sailed back-to-back, on a longer cruise! Going for the biggie, a ten day and then a 16 day transatlantic!!! :-)

Susie
Old August 26th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Captain

When we cruise it is always for 14 days or more. It may be back to backs or it may be a 14 day or longer cruise but 7 days is not enough for us.
Old August 26th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Never done a 14 day cruise. I've considered it but after 7 days I'm feeling ready to exit the ship. Right at 7 days I'm at that point of wanting to stay on board for a few more days and wanting to get back home.

Really looking closely at taking the Zenith in November for 14 days though, at $950 pp for an outside cabin, it is soooooo tempting.

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Passenger

I only get 10 vacation days a year, so I cannot take 14+ day cruises. Are all you people retired?

Glenn
Old August 26th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Many of us are retired, Glenn, but there are also those who are self-employed or who get liberal vacation perks. Federal employees, for instance, get 30 days a year. Many folks in private companies are allowed vacations of 5 weeks and more based on seniority. And then there are the doctors & lawyers & educators & seasonal workers. Add in legislators & other politicians, and civil servants in state and municipal governments and ....Well, you get the idea.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 26th, 2003, 05:58 PM
susancruzs

I took early retirement last year, Glenn. Alot of my longer cruises were before I retired but as Jack said, I worked for a German company and had 5 weeks vacation plus 15 paid holidays, more than enough for longer cruises or more than one a year!

Now I have the time, but reduced funds so planning isn't as easy as when I was working bringing in the coins!!! :-)

Susie
Old August 26th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: How many take 14+ day cruises?

Ray; you have the record! The Question I get, is how do I stand being on a ship for a month at a time. Now you must have been ask, how do you stand being on a ship for 2 months? The question I would have is: Are these longer cruise all on the same ship or cruise line?

Old August 26th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Admiral

We've been on one 14 night and one 12. Our other cruises have been shorte, usually 7-8 nights only.
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Shipbound

Since I am single I would never go on a 14 day cruise because I've all ways been told
the longer the cruise the older the crowd. Somebody asked how can you stay on a ship
for 70 days who cares that person has some big $$$$$$$$ to spend ,if you get a stock
tip let me know
Old August 27th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: How many take 14+ day cruises?

Glenn, I'm not retired but many on these boards are. I get 5 weeks vacation from my day job but I also have a business I run at night and on weekends. This prevents me from taking long cruises.

The shorter cruises work out best for us. For a longer cruise, we have to strategize carefully to find the right time of the year and get the right people to fill in for us. It's not easy to do but then that's why we have to go whenever we get the chance.<grin>

Regards,
Thomas