CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Anyone build their own house? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/265066-anyone-build-their-own-house.html)

cathy August 30th, 2003 06:08 PM

Anyone build their own house?

My husband and I are building our own dream house. Anyone else out there ever build their own home?

Cruising is our second hobby.

rollerdonna August 30th, 2003 06:55 PM

Re: Anyone build their own house?

Talk to Sue!

Chuck Palm August 30th, 2003 07:44 PM

We've built three and we're still talking, imagine that!

Tweety August 30th, 2003 07:59 PM

Heck, we assembled (you know some assembly required) a shed and almost killed each other. I pass...Someone else can build my homes.

Thomas August 31st, 2003 12:27 AM

We built our own restaurant and she is still alive. Imagine that!

Regards,
Thomas

KimJack August 31st, 2003 07:57 AM

Cathy, do you mean "build their own house" as in "with their own hands"? Aaargh! If you did that, the more power to you. We stood idly by 6 years ago and watched our beautiful home rising from the slab. That's as close as we got to "building" it. But it all works out the same, I guess.

Best of luck to you both in your soon-to-be new home!

Jack

debv September 2nd, 2003 07:07 AM

Hi there. We built out own house.....lots of FUN! (Atleast for me, it was!)

cathy September 3rd, 2003 08:14 PM

Well I'm glad I'm not the only housebuilding nut out there. It's really my husband's hobby (and it's really a hobby, since I made him retire and I resigned from our jobs recently so we can finish this old house) He was ready to retire anyway, after 37 years in the same job.

I feel like we have been building so long, my house could be registed as an historical site. But it's a great sense of accomplishment. We are finishing some exterior work right now and will then start on the interior.

Some people go to the movies on Friday night, I go to Home Depot. It's pretty sad when they all know you there on a first-name basis. I wish they had a rebate program for every dollar I spent there.

We have an acre of property as well, and we love a lush tropical garden, so guess what we are landscapers, fence builders, and tree cutters as well. As a matter of fact, today we started cutting down two trees, chipped then and hauled the logs to the dump.

But while out there painting, cutting or planting, I'm always thinking about our next cruise.

Anyway, we love building and yes we are building it ourselves, although we do sub out some work, buy very little. Ya just can't find good quality workers, so you might as well do it yourself.

Chuck Palm, I'm impressed....three houses...yikes.

My next will home will be a condo near the closest cruise port.

I'm glad to see there are some other pioneers out there as well, and I'll keep those interested posted on the progress.