Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Default berlitz 2003 cruising book

Hi Folks. This is Rollerdonna's husband saying hello to you.. I recently purchased the Berlitz book titled Ocean Cruising and Cruise Ships 2003. This is a virtual encyclopedia of cruising and even covers the soon to be launched Queen Mary 2. By and large it.s a very interesting book but it contains one very big mistake particulary if you are about to take your first cruise. On page 7 under the headline "why are cruises so popular",2nd paragraph down it reads "because you pay in advance you know what you will spend on your vacation without any hidden surprises". This to me is absolute nonsense.
Can anyone out there truthfully say that standing in line at embarkation they know they will not be spending an additional dime on their 3,4 or 7 day cruise? The money they paid their travel agent is all they will have to spend? Of course not . I don't think any of us come wthin 50 dollars of the final "sail and sign" bill. Once on board you will have a better idea of how much you will likely spend but not before you leave home as this book implies.
I feel Mr. Douglas Ward who wrote this book for Berlitz should be advised of this incorrect statement. What do you all think?
James.

Old September 4th, 2003, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Re: berlitz 2003 cruising book

James,

I believe Mr. Ward meant that you will not have to pay any additional monies for the cruise. Any extra expense is, to me, not part of the fare you pay for the cruise. Those items i.e. Tips, tours, bar, bingo etc. I understand all of it part of the vacation but the writer, to me, was referring to the cost of the fare for the cruise.

I have a copy of the book you refer to and use it almost every day.

Ray
Old September 4th, 2003, 09:09 PM
susancruzs

Default Re: berlitz 2003 cruising book

I agree with Ray, and feel that statement is basically correct. I'm a little biased as I am somewhat of a fan as he took time to help me when I was first cruising and annoyed about single pricing. I was writing, complaining to anyone who would listen!!! :-)

Cruises are inclusive, however, in recent years they have gotten very blatant about their extra revenues, and I suppose to newer cruisers that are hit with this it seems to be not that inclusive. Looking at land based vacations though (not inclusive resorts), you never know what added taxes will be on your hotel bill, meals + tips will cost, buses, taxis, sightseeing, rental cars, or gas for your own car etc. you just to have a chunk of money to take with you everywhere, or charge everything for a week and pay later! :-) Traveling for 7 days or longer, staying at nice hotels, eating like you would on a cruise, no way you could figure out how much money you would need. I think that is what he means by inclusive!

Susie