Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old September 4th, 2003, 09:30 PM
First Mate

Default Kilt for formal night?

Have any of you seen someone wear a kilt on formal night? What do you think of the idea, my son (who is not scottish) wants for some reason to wear a kilt, I think its a bet with the other guys who are going on the cruise.

One of his friends is wearing a Zoot Suit! Have you all seen any strange outfits on your cruises?

Mary Margaret
Old September 4th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Kilt for formal night?

I haven't seen anyone else dreesed as bizarre as I look in formal attire. I'm one of those guys who can make an Armani look like it would look better on a scarecrow!

But the kilt would be a great idea! I'd wear it if I had one. But I do have some Scottish heritage and there is a family Tartan.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Old September 4th, 2003, 09:48 PM
susancruzs

I've seen the full outfit, kilt, etc., and the gentleman wearing it looked terrific. Other than that I've seen some dress uniforms, I'm not sure the standard on wearing military uniforms but have seen it done.

Susie
Old September 4th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Mary, I'm with you that it is a bet. If your son goes through with it though, I would make sure that he wears it properly. {{grin}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old September 4th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Admiral

I don't see why not, it's a "dress-up" outfit isn't it? My step-son-in-law (does that make sense? he married my step-daughter) got married in a kilt, and he's not Scottish either, but does come from the island of Guernsey between England and France. Best part was, the minister wore a kilt too!

donna

Old September 4th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Admiral

You should see a few people on almost any cruise wearing a Kilt for formal night. I'll remind you that it isn't a 'costume' and it is the formal dress for a Scotsman and they take it quite seriously. As I have less than a eighth Scot in me I will not wear one as I will in no way disrespect the Scottish culture. Wearing one for a lark just isn't proper anymore than wearing the traditional wear of another culture. Most will not notice if he is or isn't really Scottish but a real Scotsman will know and they may well be insulted! Much about the entire outfit tells the story of the wearers' family and status and reflects their pride in their ancestory. They are quite classy and quite expensive with a proper outfit running well over a thousand dollars.
Jim

Old September 5th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Admiral

Ah, Lassie. Now you're reminding me of that wonderful movie "Four Weddings and a Funeral" in which kilts were prominently displayed. I, being primarily of Irish & Welsh heritage, would not be caught dead in one. But I agree with Robocop's assessment of the garment's treasured status in Scotland and the need not to wear it frivolously.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old September 5th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Admiral

I believe every cruise we have been on, there have been gentlemen in kilts on formal night. Tell him to go for it.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old September 5th, 2003, 07:16 AM
First Mate

Thanks for all the encouragement of the Kilt. (except for Jim and Kimjack)
As far as the kilt, we hosted a girl from Scotland for a school year at our house. Her family is sending over the Kilt and accessories to us as a gift. Somewhat of a thank you for keeping their daughter in America for the year. The Scots people think it is wonderful that my son is going to wear the Kilt. So I must go by what this true scottish family thinks about it. At no time did they feel any disrespect for what he was doing, actually they felt proud that he would wear it, and encouraged us to send some formal pics of him in the Kilt.

There is no way I would let him wear a Kilt and not be in proper attire, when I do things its either all the way or no way..ahahah if you know what I mean.
My son Adam is blonde and looks very scotish so I know he can pull it off , he actually has about 1/8th scottish in him. We have spent 3 weeks in Scotland and found the people there to be unbelievable friendly and actually put a kilt on my husband at one time!! It was great! So no way could I believe that Scottish people would feel he was disrespecting them due to wearing a kilt.

Hey Jim and Kimjack, I appreciate your honest opinion of your views on the issue, and don't mind it at all.

Mary Margaret
Old September 5th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Mary Margaret, I think you misunderstood what I said in my post. I merely opined that a kilt should not be worn frivolously, with emphasis on frivolously. From your account of the circumstances by which your son came to possess the garment, I don't see anything at all frivolous about his desire to wear it on formal night. I also don't believe that any reasonable Scot would take offense knowing the facts of the case. Again, that's only one man's opinion.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old September 5th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Kilt for formal night?

I have to also emphsis what KimJack said. We are talking about wearing it frivoulously as a 'costume', or impersonating a Scotsman, not properly and with respect. Your post wasn't clear to me that he wasn't doing it just for a lark. I have a number of mates that are true Scots and my mothers family's tartan is the Anderson clan.
Jim

Post Edited (09-05-03 14:47)
Old September 5th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Admiral

I won't describe my Tartan. All I'll say is: "Gang forward!"

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Old September 5th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Wear the kilt with respect and dignity. As for other Scotish customs, remember this:

The definition of a true gentleman is one who knows HOW to play the bagpipes, but doesn't.
Old September 8th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Kilt for formal night?

Robo, my mother's family tartan is Anderson! Maybe we are very, very distantly related?

Cheers,
Michelle B.