Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Default More on Bermuda, etc.

On the the last news, there were the grumblers. Nobody told them about the change in itinerary.

Lots of people use their office number for emergencies. Not a lot of good it does on weekends.

ALWAYS include a weekend phone number when you travel or the phone number of the person who will be picking you up. etc.

Tip o' the day.

pamda
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: More on Bermuda, etc.

What cave would someone have to have been living in that they wouldn't know there was a problem with Bermuda ? Let's see , the island is devestated. 4 people at least are missing and presumed dead. Virtually no one on the island has electricity. Roads are impassable with fallen trees and powerlines. The causeway to the airport has a collapsed wall. All the golf courses have substantial damage and the beach errosion
is terrible. Not to mention that out at sea, in the path of any ship going or coming from the island, is both a hurricane and the remnants of a tropical storm.
Why would they divert the cruise?
Who plans a vacation to anywhere and doesn't pay attention to the weather in both the departing city, the arriving city and the route in between?
The best part of a cruise ship is how it can go someplace else. How might one feel if they got married Labor Day weekend and were spending their honeymoon in Bermuda last week at a land based resort?
Will we be reading posts next week from people who want to be compensated by Celebrity and Carnival and RCCl because their cruises didn't go well?
Old September 8th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Admiral

we all knew that is was only going to be a matter of time before the grumblers and the demanders started to surface. Is there a timetable yet when the island will re-open?
Do you think it might be a good idea to post a message to all Bermuda bound cruisers somewhere on the board???
Old September 8th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Admiral

I agree!

However, there is one cruiseline acknowledging that Canada is not Bermuda and offering both shipboard credit and future cruise credit while the rest of the cruise lines are invoking the act of god clause. I recognize that the cruiselines can't let people cancel at will. However, they should at least show some sympathy and "cost" sharing.

marc
Old September 8th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Yep, the complainers are coming out. Somebody is going to pay. Since it can't be God, guess the cruise lines will suffice.

Imagine that a cruise line said--" ok, you paid to go to Bermuda and by golly, we will take you there--you may be rolled around like you were inside a washing machine, but by golly, you paid for Bermuda and thats what you get ".
Would there be complainers? You bet.
So, common sense and safety is used, the cruise is rerouted to safer waters and what do you get? Complainers.

Attorneys yet ,anyone??
Old September 9th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Or better yet, they want to go to Bermuda - so the cruise line takes them there, and there is NOTHING for them to do. The beaches are eroded away and unusable, shops are closed because of wind and flood damage and no electricity. None of the shore excursions are available. Can't get around the island. Pubs and restaurants are closed because of no electricity again. Sea conditions are so bad that snorkeling and scuba are cancelled. Golf courses are in ruins so no golf.

How much complaining do you think we would hear then?

Old September 9th, 2003, 10:47 AM
First Mate

Oh goobledy gop, for goodness sakes if Im on a cruise ship and it has to change course Im still tickled!!! Of course there might be some disappointment for not seeing what I had planned on but oh darn, Im going to be going somewhere I most likely have never been anyways!! It's all about the life experiences!!!

Carnival Spirit

Old September 9th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Moon, agreed!

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old September 9th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Admiral

Me too.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 9th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Yeoman

I think a cruise ship of these grumblers should go over to Bermuda and help them pick up the pieces of their lives. There are many roofs that need to be put back on and they can sure use some help. Remember to bring your sunscreen, it's not fun working on a roof in 90 degree weather.

I think if everyone went through a hurricane at least once in their lifetime, their compassion would be different. As a survivor of Hurricane Andrew, I wouldn't wish a hurricane on anyone.

As I write this, my husband is up on the second story of our house fitting the hurricane shutters on just in case Hurricane Isabel wants to visit us. Not only do I hope it doesn't hit the States, my heart goes out to those wonderful Caribbean islands as well.

To everyone...have a safe cruise, no matter where it goes.
Old September 10th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Admiral

I don't care where Enchantment goes. Isabel probably won't affect our departure. However, I suspect we might have to sidestep her effects on the way back to port, possibly even the drive home after the cruise. I'm still keeping an uneasy eye toward her direction.

Steve

Until Enchantment.
Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03