Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Default Anyone deal with real estate?

The house next door was on the market for about $38,000 more than I got an appraisal for this past spring. Well this morning a sold sign went up. Does anyone know where I might search onlne to find out how much it sold for? I am very curious because that house and my house are very similar, built one after another by two brothers. As you can see that may mean that I have just gained the above amount in (instant) equity. {{BFG}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.
Default Re: Anyone deal with real estate?

Mark,
Does your county tax appraiser have a website? It may take awhile for the info to show up but it should be there.

Angela Z., who checks her county's tax site often hoping to find out what the house on the corner sold for
Old September 13th, 2003, 01:58 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Anyone deal with real estate?

this is public record info in Louisiana and your can get it at the Tax Assessor's office. However, you will not get until the deal goes through and they update their records. It would help if you knew the lot # etc.
Old September 13th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Admiral

There is a much easier way. Just call up the listing office, make nice, and say you are a "nosy neighbor."

Grease it a little with, "We have been thinking about selling a very similar home and were impressed with how quickly that one sold." They will tell you in an instant. They are equally willing to tell you an asking price if a sign goes up. YOU might be their next customer !!!

Another way is if you KNOW a Realtor (R) ... he or she can just look through the "flash" and it will be right there.

We own a house (other than the one we live in) in a fairly large development. Every time something sells, we get a postcard with street address and price. The message is, "We get you Top Dollar for your hovel."
Old September 13th, 2003, 04:02 PM
anita kennedy

Default Re: Re: Anyone deal with real estate?

That is one way, but I doubt the listing agent will tell you the SOLD price, They will tell you what it was on the market for. You won't know the REAL price until you check.
Any other agent will not have the SOLD price they will only have the LISTED price. There is a difference...
Old September 13th, 2003, 07:27 PM
AR

I've never heard of anyplace where this is NOT public record. Most places have it online, as has been said; otherwise you have to go to the courthouse (or wherever they keep the records) and look it up.

I wouldn't mess with an agent just to find this out, if for no other reason than they'll wind up pestering you. They learn that in agent school.

There is no way that this information will be available publicly before the property closes, and in many places it can take a while (usually less than a month) for it to hit the books.

Where I live all I have to do is go online and type in the address to get the current appraisal, the sales history going back 40 or 50 years, plus the lot size and the basics about the house.

In many places houses are routinely selling for more than the assessments, and often for more than appraisals. Around here the published asking price is just a starting point. People often bid them up from there.

AR
Old September 13th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to formulachk

They usually print it in the local paper also. The only thing is that it may take a couple of months before it's in the newspaper.

Rachel

Carnival Legend 6/2005
Sovereign of the Seas 8/2004
Carnival Inspiration 1/2004
Old September 13th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Pea

In my county, it is also a public record. But, sometimes it takes a while for the figures to show up in the County Records. Closing has to take place first, as the sale could fall through.

Pea
Old September 13th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Admiral

Pamda probably has the best advice. This is a matter of public record and a real estate agent will be able to give you the sale price as soon as it is closed and becomes official. A call to a real estate agent inquiring about the selling price and a teaser suggesting you might want to sell your home with them if you can get the same price will encourage them to reveal the sale price. Afterall, they know you can go online and check for yourself as soon as the county tax appraiser's site is updated.

You can also try realestate.com to hunt down this information. I've used this site in the past to find out what the selling price has been throughout history on a specific piece of property to evaluate what a good offer might be. Although I haven't been on this site lately so I can't verify if it's still useful.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 13th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Anyone deal with real estate?

At least in this state (and I worked as a Realtor for a few years and still have friends in the business) the SELLING price comes out on a daily "flash." Every agent in every office will know if there's a multi-list system in place.

May be different in other places. Of course, it ain't sold until it goes to closing.

Sometimes the contract is written ($1 and other good and valuable) which will be the recorded price. A house worth a ton on my street was sold for a buck, but it was within the family. Private sales are a whole different litter of kittens. So are exchanges.

Pamda, upscale slumlord
Old September 14th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

... being one of the pesky real estate agents (RE/MAX) I can back up all the above information, but usually the best way to find out fast is to call the listing agent and just say you are being nosey. We're not supposed to say what it sold for until it closes escrow, but I often invoke the "off the record" comment when folks call me for the information.

Second is after it closes it becomes public record. There is usually about a 2-4 week delay before it is finally posted. Normally you can find it by street address but easiest way is by parcel number.

But being the impatient person I am, I would call the agent direct. The only difference I would say is that you are being nosey and need the info for your refi appraisal.

Hope that helps,
Harry :-)
www.harrymartin.com
Old September 14th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Thanks for all the great info people, I'll wait a few days before I decide to call or go online. In the meantime I'm just going to be dancing because my au natural neighbors are moving.
From one who hopes his new neighbors will take better care of their yard than the old ones. {{grin}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)