Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2003, 11:19 AM
karensuzanne

Default How far in advance....?

do you like to book your cruise? Do you like to book months or even a year in advance? Or do you like to like to get last minute deals? Or are you a "it depends" person?

A curious mind wants to know!

karen
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: How far in advance....?

It definitely depends.

Will book quite far in advance if there are people planning a special cruise or a Cruisemates cruise, but......

If there is a really good deal, I'll book last minute. Actually I have to get a really good deal on airfare first and then will look for a deal on a cruise. The good deals on last minute cruises seem to always be available but having to pay premium rates for airfare negates the cruise prices. So if the airline has a promotional sale on flights to Ft Lauderdale or Miami, I'll look for a cruise.

Carnival Glory
Old September 17th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Usually last minute. Within a month. But occasionally when there has been a group cruise it's 6 months or more.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 17th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Admiral

We like to plan about a year out. With my husband's job, it helps to have a lot of time to plan for him to take the days off. Once he retires, I think doing spontaneous cruises when the price is right would be lots of fun.

Phyll

Old September 17th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Admiral

It depends. Usually last minute, but for our honeymoon we booked six months in advance so we could be sure to get the exact cabin we wanted.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old September 17th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Guess I've done a few as far as 18 months in advance and as short as 10 days away.
Old September 17th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Admiral

we usually plan about a year in advance, get the exact cabin that we want and have plenty of time to save up the money.
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Passenger

We like to choose our own cabin and save the money in advance. So, we book at least 6 months in advance.

Glenn
Old September 17th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

We book when we feel that "cruising urge", like now we are waiting on 2 cruises. ;^ )))) Retirement is fun!

Jeanne&Ellis

Summit 3/15/04

Old September 17th, 2003, 03:31 PM
MichelleM

We generally book in advance, at least 6 months. DH's job needs as much notice as possible to get a replacement for the week. Our upcoming cruise has been booked for almost a year but we were using free "bump" airline tickets and had to book the flight that far out to get it so we booked the cruise at the same time. Actually the price has steadly been going up on our cruise (now about a week and a half away and still hasn't dropped in price) so we got a much better deal booking way out then waiting until the last minute.
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Admiral

We have done the gammit. Price tends to dictate when we book. When the price seems rediculously low, we book it even if it may not be our first choice for ship or itinerary. Dates are important because of my profession which has very inflexible vacation schedules.
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Both. Hubby just booked a cruise 14 months into the future, while we just recently returned from one that we only booked less than 2 months before. Personally, I like the 2 month wait best!

donna

Old September 18th, 2003, 01:40 AM
karensuzanne

Thanks for replying!

Yesterday while I was at the travel agency I couldn´t believe I was sitting there talking about cruises that were one year away. All I could think to myself was "is this normal?" and from your replies, I guess it is. The travel agent said "the more important ship, destination and cabin is, the earlier you should book." I guess she is right.

Tweety´s comment about airfare hit home here. There some wonderful cruises available last minute but the airfare was a disaster for both US based cruises and European. I forgot to ask about package last minute deals...will have to do that next time.

karen