Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Cruise hoax nets woman 2 years

Just to follow up on that news story from months back ...

Harry

Woman Gets Two Years for Ship Threat

HONOLULU (Sept. 23) - A woman who pleaded guilty to planting notes threatening to kill Americans aboard a cruise ship was sentenced Monday to two years in federal prison.

Kelley Marie Ferguson, of Laguna Hills, Calif., could have faced up to 20 years and a fine of up to $250,000 for planting the notes aboard the Royal Caribbean's Legend of the Seas.

Ferguson, 20, who hid that she was pregnant during the April cruise, told authorities she wanted to cut short a family vacation to return home to her boyfriend. The ship was diverted to Honolulu after the notes were found.

"It was done without malice or intended to hurt anyone," her attorney, Loretta Faymonville, told the judge. "She was pregnant. She was scared. She wanted to go home."

Ferguson had a baby girl June 25.

She'll begin serving her sentence Nov. 4.

U.S. District Court Judge Helen Gillmor also ordered Ferguson to serve three years of supervised release, and to undergo a psychiatric evaluation and counseling, if needed.

09/23/03 00:01 EDT
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruise hoax nets woman 2 years

Thanks for the update Harry.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 12:38 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

yes thank you, most of the time we never hear about things like that again
Auguste
Old September 23rd, 2003, 01:19 PM
Admiral

In my opinion, she should also have to repay the costs that were involved with this !
Old September 23rd, 2003, 02:20 PM
Admiral

<<It was done without malice or intended (sic) to hurt anyone.>>

So, she just wanted to have an oceangoing ship with thousands of passengers diverted for her own personal gratification...right?!
Certainly no malice there...right?! She just wanted to go home!

I might be growing old and somewhat cynical, but I hope that I'm not the only one who sees this as but one more example of our society's refusal to "suck up" and take responsibility for individual actions.

So the new mommy gets 2 years (which will no doubt be reduced for good behavior) in a Fed country club! Nice going, liberal society & sympathetic judge. After all, the lady just wanted to go home and to hell with the rest of the people!

Sadly, she's going to have to explain her felony conviction and jail time someday to her child and maybe to a husband. Thanks for the update, Harry, but how about some happy news next time? <BG>

Jack (don't try that on my cruise)

Norwegian Dream
Baltic Sea, Aug.'04

Post Edited (09-23-03 15:22)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:41 PM
Dean Renner

Default Re: Re: Cruise hoax nets woman 2 years

CA,

And how about having her refund a portion of every passenger's fare due to the altered itinerary?

If I were a passenger on that cruise, remuneration of some sort would better serve justice than her sitting in a jail cell making no contribution to the passengers.

Dean
Old September 24th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Admiral

I would think each passenger has a case against her for their loss.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Admiral

she now has a federal criminal record that will follow her the rest of her life, really dumb thing that she did. I think she should have to pay some $$$ back to the cruise line.
Old September 24th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Yeoman

"You can't get blood out of a stone" In other words. all you litigation happy folks may I point out that a 20 year old problay has no money let alone enough to help defray any of the search costs!!
I agree she was crimminal, but sueing her just wastes tax payers money and court time.
To pay off all the costs she would have to be an indentured ( slave) servant for the rest of her life. And while that's not a bad idea, it's not likely to happen!!. IMHO
Old September 24th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Admiral

No it's not likely to happen, her being indebted for the rest of her life. But she should be, or at least until she rights the wrongs she's done.

It's time for people to be held accountable.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 24th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Her parents probably raised her with that, "It's OK if you say you're sorry" attitude.
Old September 24th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Admiral

Ugh, my nephews have that attitude. One of them (age 3) broke something at my house recently (in addition to many other cases of misbehavior I won't get into) and his parents made him apologize to me, but that was the only consequence. I love my nephews, but I really don't want them at my house until they learn to be more respectful of others' belongings, which they won't until they learn that their actions have consequences other than a halfhearted "sorry." In the meantime I'm happy to visit them at their house.

Sorry for roaming off-topic.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old September 25th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Cruise hoax nets woman 2 years

Sounds like you need to child-proof your house, Michelle. Before they come over you move everything up to the top shelves and out of reach. Put some of those locking devices on the cabinet doors, and move the household cleaning chemicals to the garage.

I totally agree with the attitude though. It's one of life's lessons to be held accountable for one's actions and resolution to everyone's satisfaction upon one's mistake.

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 25th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Cruise hoax nets woman 2 years

Even childproofing my house didn't keep the kid from sticking pepperoni to my wall. His parents, of course, thought that was adorable. *rolling eyes*

Like I said, I'm not planning to have them over anytime soon.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Post Edited (09-25-03 08:30)
Old September 25th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

We were raised in a non-child proofed home ... we just knew that "don't touch" meant don't touch. I have done the same when my nieces and nephews, too. How can they learn to be around nice things if they aren't raised that way?

Harry
Old September 25th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the update, Harry. I have to agree that she should have been subject to litigation for the destruction of other pax cruise expectations. However, Constituitonal Double Jeopardy, precludes litigation after a criminal conviction, as I understand it. True justice is only possible with such provisions.

She should consider herself lucky, since a lawsuit could have placed her and her parents in a state of virtual wage slavery for a time far longer than her criminal sentence. It will be far easier for her to explain the conviction in terms of her youth than it would be to live with the enforced poverty a lawsuit could bring. Let the law be satisfied more than the lawyers enriched.

Steve

Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Enchantment 9/03
Old September 25th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Admiral

It took my kids years to figure out the second half of, "Sorry doesn't walk the dog."

Of course I child-proofed my house when my kids were small, much more for life danger than for breakables. I ought not have to do so for child guests accompanied by adults. I still turn the key on the under-sink cabinet and close the above-child-level latches to basement, pantry and the closet that holds the china and crystal. The little buggers can be fast.

Fortunately, I only have two "junior" guests these days and they KNOW "Anti Pam's Rules". ("James, remember if you touch something you're not supposed to, Anti Pam has these REALLY BIG cable ties.")

Pepperoni on the walls? Adorable.

Why do I think Michelle's kids WILL BE well behaved? Or else.
Old September 25th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the update Harry.