Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Default OT: It's Soccer not Football...

Just need to vent here a little bit gang. RJ had a soccer game the other night, he plays high school varsity soccer, omg this had to be the ugliest game i have ever been to. The team we were playing has a rep as playing "dirty" well they certainly lived up to that reputation. Physical play is one thing but dirty play just gets me fried! !! One of our players got an elbow to the back of his head, right behind his ear, he ended up with a very mild concussion!(no foul was called), my son was going for a goal and the goalie grabbed him by the ankles and pulled him to the ground- we saw this from the grandstands(agin no foul was called) urrrgh, it was becoming obvious that the referees were favoring the "home" team,wait it gets better, after the game, my friend and i overheard the referee's talking saying things like this game should have gone to the"home" team, because they are the better team. sounds a bit one-sided doesn't it. In the end, our boys played very hard, very agressive, and they won. Its a team of the walking wounded, but they still have their pride in tact. Thanks for letting me vent! Love, LisaK
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: OT: It's Soccer not Football...

Sounds to me like a copy of this message should find it's way into the hands of the athletic department for both schools and school districts involved and maybe to the sports editor of the local newspaper that covers school sports. There is nothing worse than a home town referee. It's one thing to improperly score goals and penalties, it's another,especially at the school level , when injuries and injurious behavior is allowed and encouraged by the officials.
Old September 26th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Admiral

thanks for letting me vent. The boys have put this game behind them, they know that they played hard and played clean and that's all that matters, the coach re-inforces this positive behavior, focus on the next game and the league championship. They are on a hot streak , undefeated!!!!! BTW the coach is making a formal complaint to the league.
Old September 27th, 2003, 08:18 PM
seabee

I always wondered what a "soccer mom" was. I now understand.
Old September 28th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Beginner

Funny to have this subject come up here. Have to put in me "2-cents". I coached youth soccer for 25 years and refereed hundreds of games. I am sure you did have a bad game here, but as with all youth sports, the parents are more trouble than the kids. One of the biggest problems with parents is that many never learned the rules of the game and therefore often see 'bad calls" that are not realy wrong calls. Things like un-intentional hand ball. Balls being in or out of play (the whole ball has to be over all of the line) and of course the "off-side" rule. Learn all the rules and you will enjoy the game more. Enjoy this time you spend with your son and good luck with the rest of his season!

Old September 29th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: OT: It's Soccer not Football...

" I always wondered what a "soccer mom" was, now i understand" Sorry but you are making a huge judement call here and you are way off base. I am not one of those half-crazed, screaming parents that sit on the sidelines yelling at the refs & coaches ( i do not condone that behavior, btw) i am a concerned, well-informed on the rules of the game parent who saw kids getting injured and was voicing my feelings and concerns.
Thanks again to those who just listened to my venting.
Old September 29th, 2003, 07:45 PM
First Mate

I always think of "Soccer Moms " as the ones who drive the carpools like I did for years and years. I feel your pain about that game. Been there, seen that as coach and just a parent in the stands. I know there are good refs out there, but sometimes hard to find. I also know parents can be a pain in the **** and so do my sons, who reffed youth soccer as teenagers. Not to mention a neighbor who has been known to get tossed from high school games.
My kids played from '73 -90 in elem. and HS and later the boys played outdoor club and indoor. My daughter joined her 4 brothers on the indoor team comprised of my kids, some of their cousins/spouses, daughter's boyfriend (now husband) son's fiance and a few friends as fillers. They had a good time, but eventually time and distance (2 bros moving an hour away) caused them to quit. BUT I can promise you there IS life after soccer--regular mealtimes, no road rallys trying to find fields with defective directions, no sitting through pouring rain and snow and blistering heat, no palpitations as your team is about to score or be scored upon as time runs out. And no more car pools!
I followed some nephews' HS soccer careers after my kids were finished and now just keep track of the scores in the paper. It's very calming and good for the heart. lol
Every now and then I remember when my daughter was in 4th ('83) grade and we played a team that hadn't lost a game in 5 years, due to the coaches large, agressive daughters. This was the younger one's last year in that age group. We scored in the 1st quarter and hung on to win. My sis, the cardiac nurse, came over to me and asked if she was going to have to do CPR on me. I was hyperventillating all over the place. The ref actually called a good game and the other coach was was having fits.
Ahh, those were the days. I was higher than a kite for a week.