Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2003, 04:50 PM
First Mate

Default Binoculars/Digital Camera

Hi:
I was just wondering if anyone had a binocular/digital camera combination? I found one for $200; it's a Meade Capture View and I was going to do some research on it before I paid that much money out......(thinking ahead to my Alaska Cruise next year). This one says " capture what you see in the 8 power, 8 x 42 view of the binocular with a 42mm lense. Stores up to 20 pictures (on built in memory) with resolution of 1600 x 1200".

I know a lot of you know more about this kind of thing than I do, so I would appreciate any comments or opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Happy Cruising.....Anita
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2003, 09:59 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Binoculars/Digital Camera

Unless you have a particular application in mind, I'm not sure I see the advantage of having a camera on a pair of binoculars. The 7-10x magnification on most binocs isn't any better than a zoom or telephoto lens. They're heavier than a camera and harder to keep steady and, unless you're planning to do stereo-photography, I'm not sure what it gains you.

p.s. I found a good user review for this product at epinions. Given the limitations of the camera, it sounds like the quoted online price of $59 is more reasonable.

Post Edited (09-27-03 12:53)

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old September 27th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Me, I think it's a waste of money.

And it would like kind of funny to take a camera with binocs to your next family wedding.
Old September 29th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Bill K

Why do you want an intergrated Binocular/Camera? If it is for the Zoom there are Digital Camera that have optical zooms of 10X. We are actually looking to buy one shortly. I use one at work and the zoom works just fine. With the current resolutions you can get pictures that are superior to those taken with a 14X zoom at XGA(1024x768).
Just be sure you are looking at Optical zoom numbers when comparing zooms not digtial zoom or combined most cameras only have 3X optical zoom. Just keep researching what you want and if you don't want it yet don't buy too far in advance.

-Bill