Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Captain

Default Atlantis Submarine

I would like to hear from people who have taken the Atlantis Subramine tour that Royal Carribean offers. We are sailing on The Explorer of the Sea Oct. 11-18, and we are wondering what excursions we should book. I have back problems, so am especially concerned what I can do.
Would appreciate hearing from someone (or better lots of cruisers).
Lou
Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Atlantis Submarine

We thoroughly enjoyed the Atlantis in Cozumel. It gave my wife a first hand look at the underwater world I've been enjoying all these years. To some, it may be just an expensive glass-bottom boat, but we loved it.

As to back problems, you have to go up and down a steep ladder with about 10 steps to get into and out of the submarine. There are railings and people there to assist you. Hope this helps.

JimM
Old September 28th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Atlantis Submarine

We did the Atlantis Submarine in Grand Cayman, and it was fascinating seeing the underwater world. However, 2 points; one already mentioned was the ladder into and out of, and two, if you are the least bit claustrophobic, don't do it, because you are crammed in like sardines and I found it very hot and stuffy. I had a mini panic attack and an asthma attack when I got off that thing!

donna

Old September 29th, 2003, 05:57 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Atlantis Submarine

My husband and I did the Atlantis Submarine tour, on a cruise we took to Hawaii one year.
I have claustrophobia and asthma, but I really wanted to do this tour and when we got there, there were a group of kindergarten kids going on the submarine. I looked at my husband and said, well if they can do it, I'm going to give it a try. I did and didn't have any problems and really enjoyed it;, but having done it once, I probably won't do it again. I wasn't worried about my asthma (as I always carry an inhaler) but the claustrophobia was the thing that was worrying me....but like I said, I didn't have a problem. I've gotten stuck in an elevator before, so if I can help it, I don't do elevators at all. This helps me on the cruise ships, as I always take the stairs and feel that maybe I'm working off some of the food that I'm eating.
Happy Cruising.....Anita
Old October 2nd, 2003, 09:29 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Atlantis Submarine

Does anyone have any suggestions for tours that don't require a lot of walking or standing? I would like to see the Islands, but a bad back doesn't permit me to do either for very long.
Thanks, Lou