Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 30th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Car Woes

Well I think I did it now, I've never owned a used car in my life, but two months ago I bought one. It's a 97 Town and County LXI Van. I must say it very, very nice. Since I've gotten hooked on cruising I knew that I could'nt afford a new car with a $600/$700 price tag. But I still wanted the leather seats, CD player etc., etc., my last car I bought in 1993 and never had a problem with it. This car came with an two year extended warranty which was their selling point. Well my window/door motor went out last week and it cost me $370.18, seems my warranty does not cover "electrical" this is bogus, 90% of the car is electrical, furthermore I've only had the car for two months. Now my window wipers are not working. Any suggestions? I've written the dealership and Tom Martino (The troubleshooter), but no one is responding.

I can't keep putting money in my car, I've got a cruise coming up next month.
Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Set4cruzz

Default Re: Car Woes

Sorry to hear that PA. We have used vehicles and problems will crop up every now and again. We charge the repairs to our credit card to get miles so we don't have to pay airfares and generally live the American way, which is in debt. As a matter of fact, after our cruise in March of 2003, my car needed the works in brakes when we got back, that cost a big chunk of cash, then Mark's car needed his brakes done, which cost another big chunk of cash. Ya just gotta take a deep breath, charge it and pay the monthly bill.
Oh, and praying and playing your state lottery might help. ;-)
Old September 30th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Call up the local newspaper's OUCH! people and see if they can help.
Old September 30th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Admiral

I solved my car problems. I sold it to somebody and I take the train!

donna

Old September 30th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Party Animal: Bad as it seems, just consider how much you'd be paying every month on payments on a new car. My 97 Taurus is needing some work and I dread it, but one chunk of money sure beats a lot of chunks! Those payments seem never-ending!

Hang in there - someone will fix you up. I think the only logical solution is to live on a cruise ship!
Old September 30th, 2003, 11:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Another idea - call the "Car Talk" guys on NPR - they might not have an answer, but they'll sure give you some laughs. Actually, they very often DO solve the problem over the phone. Up here it's on either Sat. or Sunday - check your public radio listings for "Car Talk" - it's great fun and very informative.

Good luck!
Old October 1st, 2003, 02:15 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks

Living in Germany means cars are a BIG topic. An ever bigger topic if you get a bunch of men together who have been forbidden to talk about work. Talking about car repairs leaves them all with high blood pressure and this <> close to a heart attack.

Id go over that warrenty with a fine tooth comb and have it checked out. Here we can have a car checked out by ADAC (similar to AAA.) If hidden problems crop up, then back to the dealer Id go.

Dh loves fast and unusual cars. Weve had quite a few and each one has meant money being thrown out the window. Having to pay a mortgage and having the luxury of a house finally broke that!

If Im asked here what my favorite car is, then I always say a company car! Dh will be having one with his new position. How nice that will be only to have to take care of one car.

Sue, my FILs girlfriend has a Mini. We all love it. She doesnt drive it much and lets us borrow it everyonce in awhile. Its a fun car and shes had absolutely no problems with it.

karen
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:01 AM
Admiral

PA,

Those repair bills sure beat the $600/$700 car payment every month. There's no guarantee you wouldn't have the same problems with a new car. From one who spent 8 years in automotive assembly plants I can tell you you can get a lemon coming off any assembly line.

My philosophy on cars is they are a tool. A means to get you from point A to point B. They have to start and they have to stop. Everything else is just creature comfort. And I haven't had a car payment since 1985. Almost 20 years now.

Regards,
Thomas (driving a 1993 Olds '88......225,000 miles and bad paint)
Old October 1st, 2003, 09:58 AM
susancruzs

Definitely get the electrical system checked and of course, the fuses. Sometimes there are bigger relays that plug in near the fuse boxes for the heavier use items.

Motors and window regulators have been problematic and recall issues for VW models for some time now but not the wiper motors. VW changed suppliers on the motors/regulators in hopes of eliminating issues. They get written up about in the consumer reports magazines. Only mention it because VW uses US suppliers for those items, probably with most companies..

You can check in consumers to see if there are particular issues with the model of car that you have. When it comes to cars, Consumers is thorough, if not a little too picky about some things.

Susie
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Haynes is also a good manual if you want to try to fix it yourself.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 1st, 2003, 11:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for all the advice, I never even considered the fuses........this is better than car talk (one of my favorite programs) I will keep you posted.
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Warning!!!!! If you have problems with fuses, you have other problems. The fuse is to protect the downstream devices from overloads. Replacing the fuse doesn't solve the problem. You MUST find what it is which is blowing the fuse.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 1st, 2003, 01:14 PM
Admiral

If you had another motor recently worked on, I wonder if it might be ground problem.
I think Chrysler at that model date was clustering high current accessories and motors in such a way that a single motor could go out without affecting the other motors in the cluster. It could be that while repairing the window/door, they bumped the ground lug of the wiper branch. You might want to watch for problems in the AC blower as well.

Steve

Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Enchantment 9/03

Post Edited (10-01-03 12:16)
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:05 PM
goodml

Default Re: Re: Car Woes

We also owned a Town & Country (99 model year). Fabulous vehicle. We had a couple of electrical type problems with ours. Our Chrysler dealer was very helpful even after the original warranty was up. There are known service issues with any vehicle and if the dealer has a technical service bulletin that describes your problem they will fix it. This was the case with ours. In the event that we haven't been happy with the service from our dealer there is an 800 number for the Chrysler Customer Service Dept that we have had great success with however, the # that I have is Chrysler Canada only so it won't help you if you are in the States. I recommend going to www.daimlerchrysler.com and see if there is a way to contact the customer service dept from there to see if there are any service issues with your vehicle.