Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL.. Besides ANYTIME, do U have a FAVORITE time to cruise

Most of us are ready to cruise at the drop of a deposit, but I'm wondering if people have a favorite time of year/or particular month when they prefer to cruise?

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:31 AM
MichelleM

Default Re: POLL.. Besides ANYTIME, do U have a FAVORITE time to cru

Anytime is great for us, but we do enjoy cruising in the winter. Getting out of frigid Wisconsin to somewhere warm and sunny always has a great appeal come Jan and Feb.
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Admiral

If all else is equal, Winter wins. Anything to get out of the cold. But most of the time all else is not equal and other things come into play. So I guess anytime the opportunity presents itself is my choice.

Carnival Glory
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Over the Holidays. Our Anniversary is in between Christmas and New Year's. We like to celebrate all three at once on a cruise.

marc
Old October 13th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Interesting question, Kuki. I just reviewed our "cruising history" calendar, and was a bit surprised about our consistency cruising in certain months. Out of 13 cruises to date, we've sailed 3 times each in Jan., Feb. and Apr. (but never in March). And never in the summer, except in Europe. Hmmm.

I guess our reasons will never be known to mankind, because I certainly cannot remember! I know that we never cruise during the hurricane season (June-Oct.), and we try to avoid spring-break (March?). Otherwise, I can only surmise that we prefer wintertime and early spring as our favorite times to cruise. I think that's rather odd in that we live in Central Florida, so we're not trying to escape the freezing weather. Go figure!

Jack

Norwegian Dream
Baltic Sea, Aug.'04

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old October 13th, 2003, 12:03 PM
linda g

We like to cruise in the fall, when the children are back in school from summer vacation. Not only are the prices of cruises a bargain at that time of year but the ships tend to have an older crowd. We went on a cruise the week before Christmas several years ago and found kids knocking on cabin doors at all times of the day and night. Some parents do monitor the activities of their children but other's do not! I know that all the cruise lines are making a great effort to keep children entertained with a myriad of activities aboard the ship but some children find it more exciting to run rampant aboard the ship. I would love to hear anybody's thoughts on this matter.
Old October 13th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Admiral

Being a Canadian from the frozen North, definately Winter is the time to go cruising, just to get away from the cold for awhile. Although, I have to say that cruising this past August, it was real nice to come back to still nice weather and not have to put away the shorts and sandals right away!

donna

Old October 13th, 2003, 12:33 PM
First Mate

We always cruise in the last week of September, the prices are great and not a lot of kids on board. And 3 out of the 4 cruises have been over our anniversary, 9/27, and that makes it a bit special for us. The only cruise we took that was not late September was a Thanksgiving cruise, and that was wonderufl as well! Accept for the airport the Sunday after the Holiday.......................talk about be brought back to reality!

We are already planning our fall cruise for next year, with our kids!

Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - 9/27/2003
Old October 13th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Starfighter

I prefer the spring, with the exception of March due to spring break, and the autumn, with the exception of the major national holidays. I avoid the major national holidays and the summer because of the uncontolled number of kids and I usually don't cruise in the winter because central Texas is very nice that time of year and the airlines have too many delays and cancellations due to weather related problems around the country.
Old October 13th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: POLL.. Besides ANYTIME, do U have a FAVORITE time to

Our favorite time to cruise would be over the holidays..but it is too expensive for us

The year before last we cruised right before christmas and this was fine too...Living in Florida I don't care what time of year we go...but due to school schedule we have to go when they are out on break...

Old October 13th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Given my druthers...i would prefer to sail in the fall...I'm not the best flyer, so adding the SNOW factor for a winter cruisemakes me worry.......... Although I have sailed then..
trip ?Monday Chat Host
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

For us here in the Midwest, late winter from Feb-March is ideal. We still have winter at home, but enjoy the Caribbean's warmth and sun, best time for us.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:05 PM
First Mate

Definitely winter. We live in the midwest and my husbands' brithday is in January, so we like to get away that week. Christmas and New Years are over and you need a little something to keep you going until Spring arrives. My 2nd choice is New Years Eve. My wedding anniversary is right before Christmas, so I combine the two sometimes for a New Years Eve cruise. My third choice is either in the Spring or Summer, when I can afford to take my granddaughters along. They make up for it not being in the winter time. The winter is the very best though, to escape our very cold winters.........BUT, as everyone else would agree......if I could go ANYTIME, I most certainly would have my bags packed in record time.
Happy Cruising......Anita
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:18 PM
First Mate

Well, after only being on one cruise, we definately learned not to go during Spring break.

Linda g, don't get me started on the kid thing! ;-)

Robin

Costa Atlantica 3/2004
Brilliance 2/2005
Brilliance 2/2006
Brilliance 2/2007
Explorer 2/2008
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Admiral

We like to cruise in the early winter and late spring. Cruises are CHEAPER then and not as many little kids running around.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 13th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to snowball

We like to cruise in early May for a number of reasons. It is not during a peak season, so the prices are pretty good. It is after spring break and before summer vacation, so there are not too many kids onboard. And my husband and daughter both have their birthday in early May, plus our anniversary is May 17th.
Old October 13th, 2003, 04:47 PM
First Mate

Like many, when it's cold here! But, we've pretty much settled into Jan/Feb and Sept/Oct, just because the prices are right and the family is settled in those months!

RCL x5: Majesty of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas

Celebrity x1: Century

Princess x3: Caribbean Princess x3, Dawn Princess

NCL x1: NCL Spirit
Old October 13th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Suzie

Never in September or holidays. Hurricanes and Family....a no-no.

Anytime from Feb. to May.

Suzie
Old October 13th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jan. & Feb. work well for us - no hurricanes, no spring break. It's a good time to get away from the cold midwest winters and there are not thousands of kids on board.
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: POLL.. Besides ANYTIME, do U have a FAVORITE time to

January and September are the only times we can get away.

Old October 14th, 2003, 12:13 AM
audrey

we found that cruiseing the eariy part of Dec is a good time most everyone is getting ready for the holidays and not thinking about cruise. I am sure this is not a good time for the cruise lines but we enjoyed it.
Old October 14th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks

I prefer to travel when Germany enters the "dark season." Where I live the dark season starts right about now and goes until the end of March. The worst time is right before Christmas when it gets light about 9:00am and gets dark at 3:00pm. November and March are good times to travel. November is the rainiest month so we can escape the rain and the dark. By March Iīm climbing the walls after all of those months of darkness.

Dh also canīt get vacation during school vacations. We donīt have children so those with children get those times.

karen
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Captain

I would have to say my favorite time of year depends on the location. We like to whale watch so most of our cruise plans tend to go where there are whales to see. When we cruised Hawaii last time it had to be end of Feb for peak whale season. Of course we always love to cruise Alaska where there are whales so obviously we are limited on when we cruise there.

All the other cruises we have taken we haven't cared what time of year they were.
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Admiral

Definitely January for us. It's the slowest month of the year for our business and allows us the best time to leave. Plus we have the benefit of cheaper ticket prices and less kids.

We have cruised in June and September before but they weren't as appealing.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Admiral

late January or February for us! get away from cold New England snow & ice
Old October 14th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Admiral

I have taken several cruises during hurricane season. Prices are very attractive then. Never been inconvenienced by a hurricane on a cruise.

Old October 14th, 2003, 09:28 PM
aebalc

I usually end up going in mid Sept. At work those with families take all the available summer vac weeks (I need more seniority) and after summer I'm burnt out and need a vacation. Just curious about the ages on all the kid haters out there (or kid avoiders if you prefer) I'm 32 and love the sound of kids having fun. Yes, even if it is loud and obnoxious, if a kid can't have fun and be loud on vacation when can they?
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Since I live in Miami and am retired, I have the entire year open, but I have my restrictions.

I always cruise the end of April and first week in May (we celebrate my birthday and anniversay, both on May 6) and we always book the first or second week in December because of the great prices. I've also cruised in November as well.

I must admit, I have always had great weather during these times of year.

I do not plan any cruises for June, July, August, September or October. The kiddies are out of school and it's hurricane season not only in the Atlantic but also in the Pacific. I would rather not have to worry if a hurricane was going to hinder my cruise. I want to be stress free when I climb the gangplank to my cruise vacation.

Now if it was up to me, I would be on a cruise ship every two months. But twice a year is fine with me.