CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   POLL- What's MORE important. Great Food or Great Service? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/265670-poll-whats-more-important-great-food-great-service.html)

Kuki October 15th, 2003 11:54 AM

POLL- What's MORE important. Great Food or Great Service?

We all, of course, want great food and great service on a cruise... but which do you think enhances your cruise experience more... GREAT food or GREAT service?

Thomas October 15th, 2003 12:09 PM

Re: POLL- What's MORE important. Great Food or Great Service

Great service. I can get by with mediocre food if the service is outstanding but even the best food can't make up for poor service, especially if you can't get the great food served to you.

Regards,
Thomas

cap'nkruzer October 15th, 2003 12:29 PM

Service..I say ...Service !!! Even if the food is less than expected, good service can take the edge off. I can get mediocre food at home but ms.kruzer smiles when she throws it at my plate. Makes ALL the diff. ;-))
SSaFWs..ED

sue October 15th, 2003 12:42 PM

Re: Re: POLL- What's MORE important. Great Food or Great Ser

Service is more important

David Starkey October 15th, 2003 01:06 PM

Food, even excellent service cannot make a bad meal taste good.

LisaK October 15th, 2003 02:40 PM

Eventhough both are just as important. I would have to choose service. Great service can make up for less than stellar food quality.

Donna October 15th, 2003 02:49 PM

Good food first, will help take away from having bad service, which I've been fortunate enough not to have expierenced while cruising.

JeanS October 15th, 2003 03:36 PM

The food definately! We had poor service once on a cruise...a quick word to the matre de fixed that problem, food would be another issue...

Starfighter October 15th, 2003 03:42 PM

If the food is good enough to make me think I died and went to heaven, that means the chef is one step from God. If that's so, I'll serve myself and even bus the table after I'm done eating. It's a lot easier to replace waiters and busboys than it is to replace the chef. In other words,in my opinion, the chef is the nucleus of the dining atom. No nucleus, no atom!

ArkJudy October 15th, 2003 04:57 PM

Bad food!

I love great service, but I agree that great service can't compensate for bad food.

Jeanne&Ellis October 15th, 2003 05:02 PM

Great Serivce!! Then food.

Marc October 15th, 2003 06:25 PM

Thomas:

Did you say you served bad food? What was the name of your restaurant again?

marc

pamda October 15th, 2003 07:36 PM

Shhh, Marc. Thomas does not know that I have been offered the most important assignment of shadow restaurant critic for Jacksonville.

So far as food/service, it's not a tough pick as an admitted foodie. The best service in the world can't compensate for mediocre or just plain awful food. I can count on the fingers of both hands the meals I've had on cruise ships that I would consider anywhere near "great."

Some people do LOVE the service aspect. And great service is a treat. But talented and attentive servers should not be required to present lousy food.

Me, I'd rather "dish up" for myself if the food is exquisite or, even, darned good.

For a long time, I warned folks off Celebrity's "first night veal." After a lot of people said, "What are you talking about? It was wonderful!" I ordered it again, TWICE, both on Connie and Mercury when we did back-to-backs. It was just as bad (if not worse) than I remembered. And I sent it back, both times.

So, I just don't expect great food on cruise ships. And, while the waitstaff is usually more than competent, I don't expect what I would call great service, either.

Trip October 15th, 2003 08:06 PM

I'd rather have a bad waiter serve me great food, than have a white gloved waiter put down an unappealing meal in front of me....Trip/ Monday Chat Host

Andee October 15th, 2003 09:16 PM

I agree with Trip. I can overlook bad service, but the meal is why I'm at the table.

susancruzs October 15th, 2003 09:35 PM

Nope, the service! I had good meals on the Summit but the whole service aspect on Celebrity would make me never chose them again! So I had food a little better prepared than other cruises, big deal, no matter where I went on that ship, I rarely got a single smile or even a nod, didn't matter if it was a bar, buffet or dining, all the same service.

Robotic and boring, give me less great food and a little more service with a smile.

Susie

rollerdonna October 15th, 2003 09:59 PM

Our last cruise, the food was disappointing and the dining room service mediocre, but we didn't let it spoil our cruise. service everywhere else on the ship was fantastic, and as long as I don't have to shop, cook, or wash the dishes, I don't complain too much about the food!

donna

Bunny October 16th, 2003 02:06 AM

Service for me, because even if one or two things are bad, you can always find something to eat that will please you. Also a good waiter will alert you to which items on the menu are the best choices.

cruisingks October 16th, 2003 03:30 AM

I posed this question to dh this morning. Hes definitely a service oriented person. As long as he doesnt have to starve, hes happy. If promised service isnt up to par, then hes unhappy. Its as simple as that.

I claimed that I thought service was more important and dh promptly told me that that was the best joke I had told in ages. He claims that I am one of the most food oriented people he knows.

Hes right. Of all the vacations weve taken I can only remember three service oriented highlights. On the other hand I can rattle a list off of culinary highlights that leaves me wanting to raid the fridge.

karen

mbuckellew October 16th, 2003 08:40 AM

I would have to say FOOD. I would buy soup from the Soup Nazi if it was delicious.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

zeno October 16th, 2003 01:39 PM

Food - especially since I do not like overly obsequious service.

CathyM October 16th, 2003 05:37 PM

Food is first....I'm used to bad service living in Miami. And being an ex-New Yorker, I can make a joke out of any bad situation.

Live...Love....Laugh...and cruise!

LuvShips October 16th, 2003 06:10 PM

I'd have to take great food. I can handle average service.
Sharon