Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2003, 11:12 AM
David Starkey

Default Ships with bad food

Anyone really had poor quality food(I mean really bad taste)on a cruise? I remember many years ago sailing the Chandris Amerikanis in the Caribbean and the food was so bad I ate every meal I could on shore.(they couldn't even fix jello right) The help was so bad I left a nickel for a tip to the waiter. The cakes and pastry tasted like shave cream. I could see the kitchen floor from our table and the kitchen staff was wearing rubber boots because of the "stuff" on the floor.
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ships with bad food

Luckily haven't had that problem yet. I've had one or two meals that were not superb, but nothing as bad as you describe.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 20th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Never had anything that I had to send back or couldn't eat. Sometimes the buffet food turns me off, but then I know it's buffet food!

I went on a galley tour once and was very impressed at how spotless everything was in the kitchen. Being a restaurant owner, I know where to look to find the crevices and corners where food particles and grease collect, but have to say on the Fantasy I couldn't find any debris anywhere. And boy did I look! I was the last one on the tour.

A number sticks in my mind too. Eight hundred meals in 20 minutes. That's what they put out. Amazing!

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 20th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Yeoman

Nope, never had really bad food, but have definately had "boring" food.
Old October 20th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Captain

Unfortunately yes we have had bad meals on a cruise ship. It was not every meal but the majority of the dinner meals were bad. This was on the Mercury. The chicken was delivered to the table still bloody, the fish would come almost gelletin because of lack of preperation and the steaks would have to be returned to be cooked to our liking. It was the only cruise ship I have been on that I had to return the meals. Many at our table returned meals on that cruise. Spent many an evening eating ham and cheese sandwiches from the room service menu so that I would get enough to eat on that sailing also. At least the sandwiches were good .
Old October 20th, 2003, 01:35 PM
HannaS77

We were on the alleged 5 star Holland American "Prinsendam" for 14 days in August 2003, and at least 7 of the dinners in the main dining rooms came with vegetable under cooked or cold. We also noted that progressively there were fewer passengers in the dining room for the evening meals and more passengers eating in the Lido restaurant since the food there, the same menu as in the main dining room ,was better cooked. On this cruise we enjoyed our lunch and breakfast in the Lido simply because when we eat in the open seating dining room, service was slow and erratic.

Commencing October 1, 2003 we cruised on the Mexican Riviera for ten days on the HAL, "Statendam" This was probable our poorest cruise since sailing with HAL. . We had a wheelchair accessible stateroom that was under galley. Normally we avoid being under the galley but had been told by HAL that our stateroom was not under galley. The deck plan in the HAL brochure was not accurate and it did not take us long to discover this.The room was noisy 24 hours a day. But then we are concerned here with food.

The menu was no diffrent from what we experienced on the "Prinsendam". Many of the meals in the main dining room were discouraging because the vegetables were either not cooked properly or served cold. This was not a cruise to write home about.
Old October 20th, 2003, 07:10 PM
SaraHaynes

We had bad food on the Millennium. Not only was it wrong most of the time, it was cold and flavorless. Had better luck on Century. I actually lost weight on the Millennium.
Old October 20th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Starfighter

I've never really had bad food on any of the cruiselines I've traveled with and that amounts to 22 cruises on 6 different cruiselines. However, I have noticed one thing that misses the mark on almost every cruiseline I've been on. On some of the dinners in the dining room, one of the vegetables is green beans( string beans). It seems that I have never been served any that were cooked to the point that you could chew them without strangling on them. That seems so odd to me. Now I just leave them alone.
Old October 21st, 2003, 11:32 PM
Thoth

Bad food on a cruiseship? Come on you people are putting me on!!
I have been on 4 cruiseships, including one "budget" line. The food was great ALL the time.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:57 AM
Admiral

i have not had terrible food on my cruises like some are describing. I have been on cruises where the food was just ok and on cruises where the food was fantastic
Old October 25th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Italian dishes on the Brilliance of th the Seas had the strangest Italian seasonings I've every tasted....and I'm Italian, so I know.

This would never stop me from sailing on that ship again, it's a great ship.
Old October 26th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Ships with bad food

We were on the Presindam 37 days The waiter just couldn't do enough. On some 40 sailing the waiter's would do most anyting to see that we were happy. Did you ask the waiter to do anything about you cold or ---- Food????