Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Default Oh boy I will be a grandmother

A few hours ago our oldest unmarried 20 year old daughter called...asking me if I was in a good mood. She told me she was pregnant <she has been with the same guy for 2 years> I was very quiet..I don't think they have a good relationship<they fight all the time> plus we don't like the guy....What can I say.....Called my husband and told him from now on I can call him grandpa......

Old October 20th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Oh boy I will be a grandmother

It sounds like you got a pleasant surprise and a disturbing shock at the same time. My advice is to enjoy the surprise now and file the shock away for another day, Susanne. You have to think of your daughter's happiness first, of course, as well as your own joy in the prospect of becoming grandparents. Then, you have to think of what's good for the new baby.

Take it all in stride, and pray that things work out for the expectant mom and dad. Try your best to take a liking to him, because all of you may be stuck with each other for some time to come. Love can do wonders and move mountains, and let's not forget that God has been known to work in strange ways. Love, faith, & hope...you'll get the opportunity to practice all of these virtues right away. Charity might follow at a later time.<S>

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old October 20th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Rustyfan2

These are just blessings. We were in a simular situation with our daughter, then 17. We now have a wonderful 8 yr old grandson who we would not trade for the world. Yes, the first few years were somewhat rough, they lived with us and we bore the expense. But we would never change the past. She married several years ago and her husband has since adopted her son.

We do not know each other but my heart goes out to you, hopefully things will look brighter soon. The news is still a shock to you. Good luck to you & yours.

Kris
Old October 20th, 2003, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Been there, done that too Sue. Last year my stepson announced his "room-mate" was pregnant. He was 29 and unemployed, she 19 and worked at Burger King. They decided to have the baby. We did our best to support them (not financially) but when the baby was 5 months old, things disintegrated and the mother abandoned both of them.
We then tried to help out "dad" as best we could, visits, food, baby supplies, etc. but he had his own emotional and psychological issues to deal with, and eventually shut us out of both his and the baby's life. i have not seen my step-grand-daughter for almost 7 months and I miss her terribly. She is almost 14 months now and I think about her every day. The point is, do your best Sue to be supportive and involved for your daughter when she needs you most. This will be a difficult time, but also a happy time for all of you. Good Luck!

donna

Old October 21st, 2003, 05:42 AM
Admiral

Sue: Congrats! I know that may not be what you want to hear, but I am sure your little grandchild will bring you much joy. Our kids don't always (well, never) do what we think is best for them, but it always seems to work out for the best.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old October 21st, 2003, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Sue, knowing your convictions, I really don't know what to say except that He has a plan.
May He bless you and yours!

Steve

Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Enchantment 9/03
Old October 21st, 2003, 07:32 AM
Admiral

Sue, I second what Steve said. I know the circumstances may not be ideal, but I pray that this grandchild will be a blessing to you and to his parents. I'll keep your daughter and her boyfriend in my prayers. It'll all work out for the best.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 21st, 2003, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Oh boy I will be a grandmother

Thank you all for the kind words and advice....last night I was brought back to the time when I told my dad i was going to have a baby..I was the same age as our daughter now. They too did not think we would last but here we are 21 years later and counting! So I will take this as a blessing and will pray this will work out. I know God always has a plan ..

But........I am too young to be a grandmother!! I am only 41!!! The thought of having a grandchild is kind of strange..nice strange................

Old October 21st, 2003, 07:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Oh boy I will be a grandmother

Well, keep in mind Grandmas don't have to have blue hair and sit around knitting doilies all day. You can be the young, hip Grandma who takes your grandkid to Sea World and is able to keep up!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 21st, 2003, 08:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Wow ! If this thread doesn't sound familiar.

My husband and I went through the same thing with our son. They are now married and have 2 children. I love my grandchildren dearly and even though HOW my granddaughter (1st grandchild) came about wasn't in the way I would have chosen, like the others before me have said - "It's God's Plan - not ours".

My son is now working full time as a mechanic and going to college in the evening, he was accepted in the engineering school. He was somewhat of a rebel in high school, not interested in college, blah, blah, blah..... Then Hailey and Reed were born - and it's turned him around (marriage/children). Even though it's not the route I would have chosen for him or the person for him to marry, God truly does work in mysterious ways.

Trust in Him and things will work out. My blessing to your family and new addition.

Jan
Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:14 AM
Yeoman

Sue...
Heres a few lines that I take comfort in and I pray that they may help you and yours. When I've got a problem, I take it to the Lord
And when I leave it there, theres no problem anymore
He takes my burdens and gives me peace of mind
Every things is gonna be fine.
SSaFWs..ED
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Wow, a grandmother at 41! Yes you're too young for that. Hurry and have another child yourself so your grandbaby's older than it's uncle or aunt and your daughter has a brother or sister younger than their child. The you won't feel so bad.

Regards,
Thomas (j/k)
Old October 22nd, 2003, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Thomas go to your room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <VBG>

Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:23 PM
tigercat

Boy I have been in your shoes except my daughter was only 16. The father was really someone we didn't want in our daughters life never mind our granddaughters. We didn't say anything except talk to the two of them about the responsibilities of having a child. My daughter and granddaughter lived with us for 3 years while she finished school. My daughter then met a really nice man (the father disappeared but his family didn't which was okay) who loved my granddaughter as his own. The are married and now I have a second granddaughter. My daughter has changed her life a 180 degrees for the better. She is a good mother and loves her children very much. I look after them while she works and just adore them. It took a lot of love and understanding and biting my tongue but the two of us are good friends. Oh and I was 38 when I became a grandmother.
tigercat
Old October 24th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Passenger

Hi
I dont know many of you , but I did read your post sue, and I just wanted to say you are a very luckey lady. A new baby is such a wonderful gift! I know your daughter will be a great mommy and that you will love being a grandma. The little one is what is the most important thing from now on! I hope being a Grandma brings you all the joy in the world!
Old October 24th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Oh boy I will be a grandmother

annemarie Thank you..Yes I know it was just a shock to hear the news. A friend of mine told me this will bring daughter /mother closer together...we will see<but she did call me first> I will keep you updated ... Tigercat thanks for the onfo also..it helps to know there are others out there who went through the same thing and it was a good event...