Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Passenger

Default Please compare

If you have done a caribbean and Nova Scotia (or Canada) cruise, could you please compare and give me your opinions? Would I be disappointed that there would not be tropical weather and beaches (where we could swim)? What type of excusions are offered in Canada/Nova Scotia? Is the atmospher the same or different?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Please compare

Well we did a Nova Scotia cruise this past September, and I for one would never do it again!
I have done two Caribbean cruises and love them, I really missed the Caribbean atmosphere on the boat when we went to Nova Scotia, and to me the excursions were extremely boreing in Canada....no offense to Canadians, I just like the Islands!

To me there is no comparison to the wonderful atmosphere of a Caribbean cruise!

Email me if you want any other details.

Mary Margaret
Navigator 3/20/04
Western Caribbean
Old November 18th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Admiral

No comparison on itineraries. It seems that most people do a few Caribs first, then get a little more adventurous.
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Please compare

I'm a Canadain, and I would prefer the tropics to either Nova Scotia or Alaska. It really depends on what a person wants on a cruise, I want sun,clear blue water, warm air, palm trees, white sand, and icy cold drinks with little umbrella on them ().
Those other routes are more, hot chocalates, warm sweaters, beautiful and (in Alaska) dramatic scenery, antiqueing in Nova Scotia.
It comes down to what do YOU want. There is no right or wrong.
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:32 AM
susancruzs

Absolutely no comparison whatsoever, apples and oranges!

I really enjoyed the New England itinerary and will definitely do it again. I was on the longer cruise and all the ports, excursions were really great. I found all the cities to be diverse and very interesting!

I've been on lots of cruises and will not go to the Caribbean or Hawaii again for awhile. I hate to keep seeing the same islands, same beaches, unless I can get to some totally new islands, I'm not going! I could do one from San Jusan but they always include St. Thomas and I don't need to go there again!

Susie
Old November 19th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Please compare

There are some nice aspects to the Canadian cruises. First is the experience of sailing in and out of NY. There is an exhileration to being 10 or 12 decks up sailing down the river with NY skyline, Ellis Island, Staue of Liberty etc. Then under the Verrezano Bridge and out to sea. On a 4 day you spend the majority of the cruise at sea with only a 7 or 8 hour port stop in Halifax. A lot of folks are not going to find this to be their kind of port, not if they are looking for St Thomas or StMartin. Weather of course can be a bit brisk even in the summer. I find it makes for a nice convenient short break with no planes and no hotels and for someone from the NY area, very convenient . The big ships enter the channels coming into NY harbor at dawn. You get fabulous sunrise photos over Brooklyn and the tip of Manhattan and the lighting when you pass the Statue of Liberty coming into the harbor is great. I find this type of cruise to be very relaxing as it is not port intensive and on shore activity intensive.