Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Default Funny, and embarassing Thanksgiving!

Reading the Thanksgiving plans on the other thread caused me to remember a funny story I had several years ago I thought I'd share.

Every Thanksgiving a group of us would take a 4 day ski trip to Colorado. On this one trip two buddies and myself drove from K.C. to the resort on Thanksgiving day and checked into our rented condo on the slope. We unpacked and went into town to get some dinner. We tried several restaurants but all were closed until we found an Italian restaurant that was open. When we entered we noticed a buffet set up with turkey, dressing, potatoes, salad, bread, etc. and all the trimmings. We helped ourselves and sat down and had a fine meal. Nobody ever waited on us. We found an employee who we asked where we went to pay our bill and he told us it was free. But if we wanted to make a small donation to put it in the jar at the end of the buffet table.

Turns out we were at the Mission dinner to feed the homeless.

Come to think of it I guess we should have noticed something was funny when nobody was in there but us. Can you imagine how many homeless people are in Breckenridge, Co.

Do you have any Thanksgiving stories?

Regards,
Thomas

Post Edited (11-19-03 11:25)
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Funny, and embarassing Thanksgiving!

That was too funny Thomas!!! No stories here, but sure liked yours!

Robin

Costa Atlantica 3/2004
Brilliance 2/2005
Brilliance 2/2006
Brilliance 2/2007
Explorer 2/2008
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Now that is a funny story. Talk about embarrassing! I hope you guys left them a sizeable tip. <S> That's the funniest 'turkey dinner at a homeless charity in an Italian restaurant' story I've ever heard.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old November 19th, 2003, 12:37 PM
First Mate

Thomas somehow this just seems like the kind of thing that would happen to you. Thanks for the chuckle

Carnival Spirit

Old November 19th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

Thomas that was too funny. <BG> thanks for lighting this dreary day for us in Florida.

Jeanne

Old November 19th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

This is for all those that have your Turkey Cruise documents. Now this is the way to dance.

Cruising on Royal Princess: April, 25 2015. Transatlantic: Port Everglades to Southampton
Old November 19th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Admiral

That is so funny Thomas! Thanks for sharing the laugh.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 19th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I do Thanksgiving for our family every year and we're usually between 10 and 16 people. I don't like turkey and my husband loves it and gets frustrated with me giviing away most of the leftovers.
He works for a food distributor and always threatened to bring home a bigger turkey.
One year he brought home a 27 lb. bird which was bigger than any I'd ever dealt with. I made sure it fit in my largest roasting pan....and it did....for awhile at least....until the wrapper was removed and the bird relaxed.
No problem thought I at 6 am Thanksgiving morning....it was just a snug fit but it fit....a half hour after it was in the oven I noticed it was getting smoky in the kitchen.....all the juice would run down the back and onto the oven floor.
Time to wake up hubby who insisted on such a big bird.....I made him go to Winn Dixie to get chicken broth....it finally ended up with him hacking off the legs and wings and me crying and him telling me to "just go away".....so I went and sat on the couch I was STILL waiting for him to move to make room for the table.
That amputee turkey actually turned out to be one of the best....I guess they roast quicker without those bothersome appendages!
The challenge this year is I now have double wall ovens which aren't as big as a regular oven....I'll keep y'all posted.
Angela Z.
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Great story Thomas, only you......
And Angela, if you don't want those leftovers, send 'em my way, all donations gratefully accepted, since I won't be having any turkey till NEXT Oct. at OUR Thanksgiving!

donna