CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Have you been decorating for Christmas? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/266150-have-you-been-decorating-christmas.html)

rollerdonna November 23rd, 2003 08:13 PM

Have you been decorating for Christmas?

http://64.4.16.250/cgi-bin/getmsg/MaxineXmas7.jpg?

donna

sorry, it didn't work...

Post Edited (11-23-03 20:18)

Angela Z. November 23rd, 2003 08:21 PM

Re: Have you been decorating for Christmas?

Nope!
I refuse to even think about Christmas until Thanksgiving is over.....and frankly I still haven't decorated for turkey day yet (yes, I know it's breathing down my neck). We're still doing the longest move on record and finally got our holiday stuff out of the attic of the old house yesterday....so....we're getting there!
Angela Z.

SWACKMAN November 23rd, 2003 08:59 PM

Re: Re: Have you been decorating for Christmas?

We have a quandry.... will be sailing from the 20-27, and wife says no need for as tree.. kids are 17& 22, with only one at home... I think we're going for it, but who knows...

cruisingks November 23rd, 2003 10:22 PM

We started yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!

How´s that for starting early???

We hauled stuff down from the attic and sorted through what had to be tossed and kept. Then I got dh busy putting up whatever requires his 6´5" and electrical expertise. The real "christmas-y" type stuff we´ll put up later, probably around the 3rd advent.

Dh ran around with a piece of old wrapping paper stuck to his back that said "merry". How it got there, I don´t know but it sure deserved a chuckle!

karen

candymaker November 23rd, 2003 10:45 PM

Started today got up the outside decorations now in a week or so I will get around to doing the inside.
Grant

Lisa November 24th, 2003 12:30 AM

Havea new fiber optic christmas tree up in the bedroom - will put up another one this week - this really is the earliest I have ever been. The rest of the house will be done the first two weeks in December.

StevieSegel November 24th, 2003 01:19 AM

Always do the day AFTER Turkey Day :)

Honestly, I was driving home from shopping today, flipping around the radio dial...they are already playing X-Mas Carols!!!!! Sheesh!! You think they could wait until this coming Friday????? Too Soon !!!!

Gatormama November 24th, 2003 05:06 AM

Started yesterday,
put a fresh coat of paint on some lampposts, did the math calculations as to how many feet needed of ropelights and will hopefully get nails in and lights tried today.
Anne

sue November 24th, 2003 05:40 AM

No, but I can't believe it..I bought christmas paper saturday! I am too busy with Thanksgiving and the thought of christmas in Florida just does not sit well with me. I miss the cold air, snow and all the other stuff associated with christmas. The kids are totally excited, we are home for christmas this year ...they love it....

salem November 24th, 2003 06:15 AM

NO DECORATING HERE!
My opinion only: everyone starts too darn early!
I hate going into stores in beginning of November and seeing xmas decorations and sale items.....it makes me sick!

I like the old days when I was younger (I am 53) when everyone started decorating and preparing for xmas like two weeks before, to me it made it special... but now it just drives me crazy the way everyone has to start too darn early, it almost seems to be me be a contest to see who can have their house decorated first!

Lets get thru Thanksgiving first...then on to the next holiday.
There are countrys in Europe where you can not decorate any sooner then 2 weeks before xmas...wish it was same here.

I am glad I do not have little kids to deal with and try to settle down to the fact that xmas is a month away...they got to be driven crazy with anticipation with it all starting so early.

Hmmm I think I might get out my Valentine decorations to get a jump on things.

Mary Margaret

susancruzs November 24th, 2003 06:15 AM

Yesterday must have been the day! I got out 4 wreaths and put them on three doors, one really fancy one on the wall in the living room and the last goes on my car port when it stops raining!!! :-)

I pulled my fiber optic out, too and a few boxes! My niece will stay with me a few days during Dec. plus they'll be here so I have to go the full route. Last year I was away for Christmas so I did not put the tree up!!!

Susie

rollerdonna November 24th, 2003 07:29 AM

Wow, I wasn't expecting answers, the title was just an introduction to a comic I was trying to post that didn't work!! But nice to know I'm not the only one who got an early start on decorations, although mine are out because it's been warm enough to do the job, but they're not lit up yet!

donna

Jason November 24th, 2003 08:36 AM

Probably will not do much decorating this year. This Christmas, the whole Famn Damily is getting together at my Daughters in St. Petersburg, Fl. It sure takes the pressure off Carol and I this year.

LisaK November 24th, 2003 08:40 AM

the outside decorations are all done, we have so much that it takes us two full week-ends to get everything up and running! Will not turn the lights on until after Thanksgiving. Will start on the inside next weekend.

Carole and Johnny November 24th, 2003 09:29 AM

We decorated earlier than usual. My kids are not allowed to help decorate at their stepmoms house, so they have been bugging me to get moving. I let them do 90% of it. We always decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving, but this year we are early.
I don't like waiting till two weeks before Christmas. Seems like so much work just to look at it for about 4 weeks, then tear it all down. I prefer seeing it all through December. It comes down just after New Year. Usually the first weekend following.
Since we will be in New Hope Mississippi with Dad and Kathy, it will probably be up one week longer.

I see nothing wrong with decorating early if it helps get you in the spirit. Seeing it in the stores before Halloween? Now THAT bothers me. Everything I decorate with, it stuff that is in the attic from the previous year. It has been very difficult for the past few years.
Either people are falling off the face of the earth and disappearing, or they are moving, or dying. Our family is spreading apart farther and farther. Next year, Michael will not be with us because he will be in tech school for the military. With any luck, he might get home.

Decorating early was sort of a healing experience. Kind of depressing but it DID make the kids happy, so................

mbuckellew November 24th, 2003 09:49 AM

We put up our tiny artificial tree and strung lights around it... pretty soon I need to hang my three ornaments on it.

Also have brought out my nativity set, beautiful handmade Santa doll, and rustic carved reindeer.

In a week or two someone should start a decorations thread.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Jim Bragg November 24th, 2003 10:49 AM

I'm like Mike, Sylvia filled the garage with tons of outdoor stuff. Her reasoning is that because of the cats and dogs no way can we put up the regular tree inside as they would destroy it before we could even get it up sooooo.....the outside of the house also must light up the neighborhood. Over the weekend I put a lighted Santa and sleigh and reindeer on the roof with a runway of chasing rope lights. Draping lights all around the edge of the roof. Lanterns beside the doorway, the walkway is lined with multicoloured lights, A lighted tree in the front yard with lighted animated angels around it, four very large animated lighted reindeer grazing in the front yard, a lighted tree on the rear deck which is also wrapped in lights, a lighted American flag, (it ain't Christmas but I honor my country <G>), and candles in all the front facing windows. Today I am supposed to drape the trees and decorate the garage with lights etc. and closer to Christmas the entire neighborhood is supposed to place lighted candles in white bags all down the curbs. Florida Power and Electric is going to love me this year.
Jim

Harry Martin November 24th, 2003 11:34 AM

I've got the bulk of the shopping done (after 2 treks to the outlet mall earlier this year).

I updated the holiday card list yesterday.

Plan on writing cards this week.

Then day after Thannksgiving, it's time to haul everything out of the rafters.

Because I do so much decorating, I break it into stages -- first is outside, then onto the inside, then the tree about a week later.

Look for photos soon.

Harry

vacationqueen148 November 24th, 2003 08:58 PM

I am glad I am not the only Griswold in the bunch. I started this week decorating the inside and next weekend the outside will get done.

MaryLou November 25th, 2003 05:27 AM

I probably shouldn't admit this publicly...but here goes. Since we are "empty nesters" this year I had decided we didn't need to put a tree up. Boy, have I gotten grief from EVERYONE I know (except Gary, he is in total agreement). My daughter says she will boycott our house the entire month of December. So, now I'm learning towards a very small artificial tree. Peer pressure!

sassy November 25th, 2003 08:09 AM

we have our tree up...but not really excited about it yet....Christmas is not that happy of a time in our family since my brother (age 25) died in a snowmobile accident Dec 21/2000,but we still do some decorating for the kids....not alot of outside stuff just some garland on our porch ,with some bows,& a wreath on the door.

mbuckellew November 25th, 2003 08:11 AM

MaryLou, why not get a small Norfolk Pine? They usually sell small potted ones at Lowe's and Home Depot. Then you could plant it after Christmas. Although I'm not sure how well they do in your climate.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

sandytoesrose November 25th, 2003 10:39 AM

My outside decorations are minimal. I've put up a huge wreath out front for the benefit of the neighborhood. And inside of our courtyard I've put up a 2nd wreath for us to enjoy with views from most rooms of the house. I like putting the tree up early because it's so much work - we might as well get to enjoy it.

Carole and Johnny November 25th, 2003 11:36 AM

Sassy,
I understand your lack of enthusiasm.
My husband's mother died of cancer in March ten years ago, but her birthday is the day after Christmas. He gets very gloomy on that day. We try to keep him occupied but we also make sure that something on the tree or in the decorations is a tribute to his mom. He lost his dad two years later.

I lost a grandfather near fathers day.

Fourth of July is messed up for me now as is my birthday. It always seems that things happen around holidays or special days.

We have to go on. Our loved ones that have passed would never want us to stop celebrating special days just because they are gone. Celebrate them and pay a special tribute to your brother. Perhaps a special ornament on the tree that is for him.

sassy November 25th, 2003 02:17 PM

we have a globe that has his picture in it...it is a tree ornament.I know we all have lost & we must carry on.Christmas was my brother's fave time....although we had his wake on the 23rd & his funeral the 24th. But with 2 kiddies I still do Christmas every year.Thanks for listening & sorry for all those who have lost a loved one at any "special"time of year.

Carole and Johnny November 25th, 2003 02:41 PM

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) sassy

Harry Martin November 25th, 2003 09:27 PM

Sassy and Mary Lou, I am gonna slap you silly!

1st, Sassy, you said it was your brother's favorite time of the year -- why not embrace it?? Lord, I would be SICK if my family scaled back on the holidays when I love them so! Do some more this year, and realize the love that is the holidays keeps on. Anyone -- like me -- who WAITS for the holidays to come along would want to see you enjoy 'em. Here is my suggestion -- do one thing more that he would do, be it a bright yard decoration or just a special touch in the house.

And, Mary Lou, poo-poo on not putting a tree up. You just make it what you want -- small and full, big and bare. It's an empty nest -- do something different! This year I told Art I was thinking of taking all my old Christmas cards and making ornaments out of those when I have boxes of $15+ each ornaments. And if I hear, "too much trouble," I am gonna get crazy. It's time for you two to start creating new traditions!

Sorry, but the holidays are a time to welcome the new, and you both have the perfect opportunity!

With much love and hugs,
Harry

MaryLou November 26th, 2003 05:47 AM

Harry: You made me laugh! It has been decided...there will be a tree....although it will be a very small tree. We have not totally tossed out tradition. For years we have been taking the kids to a Christmas tree farm and they pick and cut down the tree. We've always taken our daughter's best friend with us. Well, this year she is married and now her husband and my daughter's fiance will be going with us. The two couples will pick and cut down their tree and we will do our annual breakfast out with them. I'm still looking forward to that part.
Thanks, Harry. You made me think.

sassy November 26th, 2003 07:43 AM

Ok Harry you made a great point & it is absolutely true....My brother would be upset so I am gonna do what ever I can to make this the holiday it should be .A time to remember those loved & lost. Thanks Again!!

Harry Martin November 26th, 2003 10:22 AM

Big smooches to both of ya!!

:-)

Harry