Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2003, 06:03 AM
First Mate

Default Am I the only Grinch?

I answered the decorating question on another topic, and I see I am the only one that hates all the decorating, and work at christmas.
The topic is have you been decoration for christmas?

I love the holiday, being with my family and friends parties and such, but I hate all the hassel that is associated with the decorating, shopping...etc.

The past 2 years my kids, husband and I have cut down drasticaly on gift giving and deceided to save our money for our cruises we plan for March.

My husband and I have not exchanged gifts for years, its just if I want something or he does we just go out and buy it and get the right size..etc.

I like the church going etc...just hate the hassel stuff, seems to me lately with all the people decorating the outside of their houses like they think they will win a prize for the most lights its just makes christmas too commercial, especially with stores cramming the stuff down our throats the end of October.

Just one persons opinion.

Mary Margaret
Navigator 3/20/03
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2003, 06:18 AM
susancruzs

Default Re: Am I the only Grinch?

Hey, you are entitled to your opinion and I feel that way about the stores! Halloween stuff wasn't even put away yet, and Christmas stuff was moving in!!! :-)

My one sister is the Queen of Christmas, has many trees in her house, but does not get into over decorating the outside. She does entertain during the holidays, open house, etc. and really enjoys doing it. My brother-in-laws family has been doing an ornament exchange for years so they have tons of ornaments.

I rather enjoy the decorating and I actually have things I put around my house and change for each season!

I don't go overboard outside but my sister gave me a nativity set that I put out then the wreaths, some garland and that is it, no lights. I do have those various window deals with the lights in every window!!!!! :-)

We're going light on the gift giving this year, too! Too hard for us getting together at one time so we're doing just one or two small gifts.

Susie
Old November 25th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Admiral

Grinch Mary Margaret, no you are not the only one. I too enjoy Christmas, but all the preparations have become a hassle, and I too have cut down considerably in past years, including presents in order to save for a cruise! Years ago when my kids were little I had to put a Dec. 1st mimimum on when we could start decorating or they'd have the tree up the day after Halloween! At 15, my son has already asked if we can put the tree up on Sun, since Dec. 1st is a Monday this year! As for outdoors, well in this climate, it only makes sense to put that stuff out in late Oct. before the big freeze, but it won't be plugged in before Dec. 1st!

BTW, that "decoration " thread I started was only an intro to a comic I was trying to post that didn't work. I never expected so many passionate answers about Xmas decorations!

donna
Old November 25th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Am I the only Grinch?

I think as long as we don't forget what the real meaning of Christmas stands for...Jesus Christ was born and this is why we celebrate Christmas. He stands for certain things that are written in the bible and if we believe it we can "celebrate" Christmas.

Old November 25th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Lori Walston

Amen to that, Sue! :o)
Old November 25th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Why does this thread remind me of "A Charlie Brown Christmas"?

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 25th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Michelle, strangely enough "A Charlie Brown Christmas" has my favourite all time Christmas music. But my favourite all time Christmas tv show is "The Grinch"!!

donna
Old November 25th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Captain

No you are not the only Grinch at Christmas. Unlike others here who just dislike the hassle of Christmas but enjoy the meaning and the get togethers with family there are some of us where Christmas is not a special occasion at all.

I'm glad others enjoy the holiday but it is not necessarily a good holiday for all. I do participate in the holiday because of the family but it is not a good time for me.
Old November 25th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Am I the only Grinch?

Bah Humbug!!!! I can't wait to have grandkids so I can tell them there is no such thing as Santa!!!! ; D

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old November 25th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm with you MM. I never felt comfortable with all the obligatory gift giving at work. Who has time for decorations? Christmas is just too commercial. My husbands family does a grab bag where you choose one family members name to buy a gift for. It keeps us out of debt and we still have the fun of opening a special gift. We have now been using the one name/one gift method of gift exchange also on my side of the family for a number of years now. I exchange gifts also with my husband and my children. The retailers won't want our "one gift" grab bag idea to catch on, but we all feel better about not going into debt. We look forward to out large family holiday dinners and cocktail parties with friends. After all, t'is the season to be jolly!
Old November 25th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Admiral

We Love to Decorate our House!! outside and inside, lots of lights! We are cutting back on our gift-giving this year - gotta save for the cruise. I do a lot of baking and give breads and cookies as gifts.
Old November 25th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Yeoman

The Christmas Tree went up...on Sunday. Used to hate the holiday because of some sad memories that happened on one Christmas Eve. ...but now with Grand Kids...the fun is back...and...NO...I have not forgoten the true meaning of the holiday.

Bob
Old November 25th, 2003, 02:14 PM
First Mate

well I have put up the tree but none of the outside decorations.The kids are not even excited yet.We usually put up garland & bows onthe porch & wreaths on the doors. Christmas has lost its sparkle in our family....my brother(25yrs) was killed in a snowmobile accident Dec21/2000. But we still do our best for all of the kids in the family. So I am knd of a grinch too ,,,I guess.Merry Christmas to all!!!
Old November 25th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

It saddens me to see people stress over the holidays. I, for one, go all out. But I tell you, I think the best thing to do is do what makes *you* and *someone else* happy. If you fulfill those two ideals, then the rest is optional.

Harry
Old November 26th, 2003, 05:06 AM
Yeoman

To all of you,
I think there is alittle Grinch in all of us. I do decorate the outside of the house and here in Fl it is easy to do as there is no cold weather. However, we do keep the " reason for the season" Christmas Eve after Mass we come home and I throw a birthday party for Jesus. One of my friends started us doing this and we have kept the tradition going. It is an open house to all our friends but they know that the kids sing happy birthday around the nativity sets ( Yes, sets) and we have a white birthday cake. I do hate the hassle etc esp. after working reatil for 20 years. Next year we are planning on doing a cruise for Christmas
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old November 26th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Admiral

I use to get really excited about Christmas and decorate the outside of the house with 1000's of lights. But after years of doing it and getting no help I got tired of taking them down. Being on the roof in January removing the lights and trying not to slip to my death was aggravating. So I stopped.

Now we put up the tree on the inside, a nativity scene, a couple of stockings over the mantle and go to the dog track on Christmas for dinner.

Regards,
Thomas