Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Default Countdown Clock Demise

Escati is getting out of countdown clock business. See here: http://www.escati.com/

Any chance we can get CM to maintain countdown clocks?

thanks,
marc
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2003, 07:42 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Countdown Clock Demise

That's a shame, but I guess it's understandable because of the bandwidth consumed. A lot of sites are moving to block hotlinks to graphics for the same reason. I'm not sure if it's possible to restrict access to countdown clock links from outside the server. Sites like Yahoo do it with html code that prevents access to image files. Perhaps similar scripting can be written to restrict clock references to the CM user forum server.

After seeing how many discussion topics have been started on "how do I add a countdown clock" to my signature, can you imagine how many people will be asking "why did my clock stop working"? They won't have a clue about what happened.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old November 27th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Very interesting link, Bernie. I actually recognized a couple of the technical terms, but I'm sure that the ones I didn't know won't be found in any dictionary in my possession! I'm curious, however, as to which of the "hotlinking" scenarios relate to our countdown clock arrangement with Escati? Are we presently taking unfair advantage of their website, or are we ethically kosher for now? It looks like "countdown shutdown" isn't far away. Thanks.

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old November 27th, 2003, 09:23 AM
First Mate

As I understand it, escati generates a GIF image on its server which is hotlinked to everyone's signature. So yes, we are all stealing bandwidth when we use a countdown clock here. Perhaps if escati included a reference to their site as part of the clock, they could recoup some of the cost in advertising. Maybe CM could offer them a free banner ad to provide continued service. As it stands now, there is little incentive for the hosting company to give free access. I hope CruiseMates is able to host a clock for this board's users. Some newsgroup software does include a built-in function to create one locally, but I don't know about ours.

Old November 27th, 2003, 11:49 AM
First Mate

I searched for a substitute countdown server without any luck. Most countdown servers require a javascript interface which won't work on cruise-forums.com. I did uncover one interesting fact, however. The escati server is actually located in Thailand! No wonder they don't want to pay for access by the world community.

Old November 28th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Admiral

I found this code for countdown clocks:

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://bgsgrafix.com/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2003>
<param name="month" value=12>
<param name="day" value=27>
<param name="hour" value=12>
</applet>

Unfortunately, it does not fit in Cruisemates signature block. Also, don't ask me why it will work in signature blocks but not in text of this message.

Post Edited (11-28-03 17:47)

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 1st, 2003, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Yes, this is a shame. I, too, have searched for a substitute with no luck. To bad javascript does not work in Cruisemates posts.

Cheers,
Michelle B.