Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2003, 07:16 AM
FLJOY

Default High Winds

We are leaving tomorrow on the Majesty of the Seas and the winds are really gusting down here in Florida, has anyone been out there in 20 to 30 mph winds with 12 to 13 ft seas?
Thanks FLJOY
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: High Winds

We have been out in those conditons, nothing to much to worry about. You are sailing on a large vessel not a tiny cabin cruiser. You will feel a bit of extra motion, a bit bumpier ride and you might get windblown up on deck but that's about it.
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

On the Sun Princess a few years ago, the conditions were exactly as you describe. It was wonderful fun to be in a safe and secure spot and witness the power of the seas.

As Lisa said, you will feel some added movement but you will be completely safe. Don't be one of those people who view a cruise ship as a hotel....go outside (watch the wind and the slamming of heavy doors) and enjoy the majesty (and the Majesty) of the seas firsthand!

Bon Voyage!
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:15 AM
FLJOY

Default Re: Re: High Winds

Thanks to both of you! I feel much better now, it will be a new and exciting experience and I will try to enjoy it! I will go on deck and watch the wind and seas! and keep a positive attitude and try to remember that I am on a large ship!
thanks again for the encouragement!
FLJOY
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:44 AM
MichelleM

We had winds like that returning on our Mexican Riviera cruise. Some of the very top decks were closed due to those high winds and wanting to keep people safe. But otherwise I didn't really feel any extra movement unless you sit and watch out the window. That was the only time I felt sick is when I watch out the dining room window at the back of the ship and saw how much the ship was really moving. So don't do that.
Old December 4th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Admiral

FLJOY,

If you're sailing Fri. evening, it looks like you're in luck (see below). We'll be sailing out of Jacksonville on Sunday, and Kim will be popping the dramamine like crazy. For you and all the weekend cruisers from the east coast of Fla., here are the latest Small Craft Advisories from the National Weather Service:

North Fla. (JAX)
€Sunday - N. winds 20 knots decreasing to
15 knots during the afternoon. Seas 6 to
8 feet. Inland waters choppy.

Central Fla. (PTC)
€Saturday - NW winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas
4 feet near shore, building rapidly to 9 feet offshore. Intracoastal waters rough.
€Sunday - N winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4
feet near shore and up to 7 feet offshore
...and higher in the Gulf Stream.

South Fla. (PEV & MIA)
€Friday night - NW winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 feet or less near shore...except
seas 2 to 4 feet in the Gulf Stream.
Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.
€Saturday - NW winds 20 to 25 knots. Seas
2 to 3 feet near shore...except 11 to 13
feet in the Gulf Stream. Intracoastal
waters rough.
€Sunday - NW winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 6
to 8 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy.

That's it, folks. It doesn't sound all that bad, except for those ships treading water in the Gulf Stream. But this is only Thursday, and forecasts can change rapidly. I hope this will be of some help. And keep the dramamine handy.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old December 4th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Admiral

I prefer Bonine... it doesn't make me sleepy like Dramamine. You might want to try it before you sail, though, on a day when you don't have anything scheduled, so you can see how it affects you.

Or you could try remedies with fewer side effects, like ginger. Ginger pills can be found in the herbal supplement section of the drugstore. And many people swear by seabands, which are accupressure wristbands that can also be found in the drugstore. There's also a thing called a Relief Band, which you wear like a watch; somehow it works with electricity to prevent motion sickness. Those are expensive but you can usually find them a little cheaper on Ebay.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old December 4th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Admiral

FLJOY,

Another Bonine fan here, hubby & I have been taking it for many cruises without seasickness or drowsiness, just take one in the morning and go enjoy yourself....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas