Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Default I don't understand this!

After reading another thread about bringing a steamer in place of an iron for getting wrinkles out I had to ask why people advocate this?

Both have the same heating elements in them and if left on create a fire hazard, right? A steamer boils the water but if the water is completely gone then the heating elements are still energized and create the same hazard.

Does anybody else think this?

Regards,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default Re: I don't understand this!

Agree, Thomas. I still think the shower steam will take out most wrinkles in even the finest gowns and jackets. Used to carry the steamer but found I never used it...there all always ironing boards onboard.

Fire is my greatest fear on a ship and anything that can lessen that danger is fine with me.
Old December 8th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

I asgree Thomas, we had bought one years ago and never used it on board a ship and never will. I try to pack so our wrinkles fall out, if not they match our wrinkles!!!!

Jeanne

Old December 8th, 2003, 05:46 PM
susancruzs

I agree wholeheartedly! Took an iron on NCL in 1982, 1st cruise, got a severe scolding and haven't done it since!

Susie
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Admiral

I try to choose ships with laundry facilities. Then all you do is walk down the hall, use their iron and ironing board. It's far easier.

Of course the best was the one time we had a suite and they did the ironing for us. Oh those were the days...
Old December 8th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Susan..who scolded you?...I take a mini travel iron, and have also hung things in a steamy bathroom.... Whatever works, I refuse to walk around wrinkled..Now, it scares me when I have read posts from people who want to bring candles on a cruise for a romantic evening...PULEEEEEZE..
Trip/Monday Chat Host
Old December 9th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Irons or steamers on board? Yikes!!! Of course, not one *intends* to start a fire, but it happens. Please leave your irons at home and opt for the laundry facility, the ships pressing service or the steam of your shower.

dorothy
Old December 9th, 2003, 12:47 PM
First Mate

Those wrinkle-removing sprays do a good job, too, even on "finer" fabrics. We normally wear clothes that are care-free. We also don't mind a wrinkle here and there on informal clothes, such as shorts, and T-shirts. I seldom iron anything at home, so I'm not going to worry about doing it on vacation.