Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Passenger

Default Aqua Socks-water shoes

Everyone tells me to bring Aqua Socks for the kids in Cozumel (were also going Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman). Problem is that we leave Jan. 11th on Paradise, we live in Wisconsin, where do we find water shoes in Jan. in Wisconsin????? Does the islands sell them at a reasonable price or am I better off paying the dive store prices here? I tried Walmart, Walgreens, good wills, consignments, etc, All say that it is a summer item. Kohls have Nike sandals that would work, but were are talking $22.00 each pair- times that by 3 kids that grow too fast. A lot of money to pay for 1 week. I will if I have to but wouldn't mind paying less on the islands if they have them. ANy help appreciated. THanks,
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Aqua Socks-water shoes

We just did the tubing in Belize. A lot of kids just wore old low cut sneakers or deck shoes. The ones that are not real heavy would be best. Just take well used ones that you don't care if they get ruined. The kids will be fine.

You can have the new aqua socks and look kewl.
Old December 20th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Admiral

2nd hand stores might be an option, you can usually find anything there. I'd have the same problem finding water shoes or bathing suits in Montreal in the winter!

donna

Old December 20th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Admiral

I agree, I think that sneakers would be just fine also....

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old December 20th, 2003, 12:14 PM
MichelleM

I would suggest just getting a cheap pair of keds type sneakers for them to wear (they usually run about $5 at Walmart). They will be alot better on the feet if you are cave tubing in Belize then aqua socks.
But also being from Wisconsin I would say you aren't going to have much luck other then the expensive name brand aqua socks.

Are you going to Miami a day early? There was a Walgreens near the hotel we stayed at that carried aqua socks, about $9/pair, and the guy we were traveling with picked a pair up. They carry them year round in Florida, you can even find them at grocery stores there.
Old December 20th, 2003, 01:18 PM
Admiral

The hike to where you put in definately requires some sort of shoes. I had a Nike version of "Tevas" and they worked well, but again I agree with the cheap keds or Van tennis shoes. David used thongs and they were fine on the trail but useless in the water. Thus he lost one in the current and it was never to be found again. Several people lost their thongs, zories, flip flops, etc.
Old December 20th, 2003, 01:20 PM
starfighter

Sporting goods store like Oshmans, Academy and the like usually have them with the other water sports equipment and they are usually marked down to the $5 range this time of year. If you can't find them in your area, they're available on the internet and in every port city.
Old December 20th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Mo - try Sportmart or someplace like that. But if you are going down to Florida a day early, you can always pick them up down there for pretty cheap.

Old December 20th, 2003, 05:02 PM
susancruzs

I'm big on Goodwill, Thrift stores, etc. and amazing what you can find in them! I recently picked up 2 pairs of new shoes at a local Goodwill store. They weren't dirt cheap but a better price than in the shoe store or even WalMart.

Lisa, has a great idea, Sport Mart, Sports Authority but they will be pricier.

I think a cheap pair of Keds would do and probably get more use later, too!

Susie
Old December 20th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Passenger

Thanks to all. I did try all the second hand shops, goodwills, etc. Guess what, found them today at Fleet Farm-- $6-$8. and on sale $2.00 off that price. Couldn't be happier--thank you all who tried to help.
Old December 21st, 2003, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Mo - glad we could help! And who knew that Fleet Farm would have them in stock this time of year....but I should remember that from the time I spent up in the Antigo area with my aunt and uncle...Fleet Farm has everything! lol