Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Richard Lewis Send a message via MSN to Richard Lewis
Default Camera??

I was wondering what kind of cameras you all were using, and why. I currently have a digita Toshiba SD which I would like very much to throw very hard against the wall. We were thinking of getting a new Canon PowerShot 75. If any of you have any comments or suggestions we'd love to hear them.

R

Star Princess Sept 1/04 - Mediterranean
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Camera??

Richard..I was looking at the canon myself and settled on a HP 733..I bought it last week..and I have pretty well learned all about it..what I am trying to say is..if I can learn to use it..anyone can..It has a 3x zoom and it's a 3.2 mega pixel..I am very pleased with it so far..and it comes with the CD soft ware to post pics on the computer..I also bought the camera dock to go with it so you can show slide shows on the TV..I learned that there are as many diff kinds and prices as there are cars and makes..good luck with you selection.

Old July 14th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Richard I have used Casio 3000 retired her and now have a Sony DSC P9. It works fine for me. Easy to operate. And it is small and light. Has 4.0 Mega Pixels.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old July 14th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Presume you are talking Digital not film. Without recommending a specific model or brand let me make a comment or two. First think about the type of photos you want. If you were content with regular 4x6 in the film world then a 3 or 4 mega pixels camera will be more than adequate. If you are into enlargements or were a photography detail nut in the film world then look for something with higher megapixels. No typical photographer needs more than 5 megapixels and as I said above 4 and even 3 are adequate enough for most.
Second think about the use of the camera. Were you the type that bought a fixed lens disposable and took a few snaps or on the other end did you carry around an SLR with nine lenses and a bag full of filters and gadgets. Think about how complex you want/need your camera to be to suit your photography needs.
Shoot a lot of scenery ? perhaps you want a zoom lens . There is digital zoom and optical zoom. Optical zoom is that which is accomplished with the lens, digital zoom is a "trick" played with the computer in your camera to add zoom capability. For high quality photos you will want to look for a camera with a higher Optical zoom. Many point and shoot digitals are 2 or 2 times optical and maybe 2 or 3 times digital. Lately there has been a trend in some less expensive cameras like Olympus, Fuji and HP to have fairly high Optical zooms. My latest has a 10x optical zoom (about like a 300mm SLR lens) in a relatively inexpensive very small camera.
Take a look at Consumer Reports recent evaluation of digital cameras, look at web sites for major camera distributors and maybe buy a camera magazine or two. Often they show head to heah comparisons.
In my office we have guys who have $ 10,00 digital cameras. Good cameras? Of course. But , not what I need to take on vacation. (but you can see the seams on a pitched baseball from 300 feet away.
These days I travel with 4 very compact cameras. I have a waterproof Canon Elf film camera. Use this for beach, pool, snorkelling and rainy weather. I carry an Olympus point and shoot film camera with a 170mm zoom for most vacation uses. I have stopped lugging around my first generation Sony Mavica Digital camera. Too big and not enough features. Now carry an Olympus Digital. Principal featues are high optical zoom (10x ) in a small point and shoot, and giant chip capacity. I suggest several
medium capacity chips over one big one. Just in case you have a problem not all your eggs are in one basket. Finally I carry a very small digital tape camcorder that is also a
1.1 megapixel digital camra (shoots on to a separate memory stick and mini dv tape).
Altogether less weight and bulk than even one SLR with a couple of lenses.
Why so many? Well each has a purpose for starters and I learned several years back to bring backups. Too expensive to start replacing a camera while travelling.
Hope this helps.
Old July 14th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Admiral

I have an almost 10 yr. old Canon Sure Shot that has served me very well - I love it! Everybody always asks me "what kind of camera do you have, your pictures are wonderful!" and I always tell them "it's not the camera, it's the photographer! !
I am afraid of a digital, although it sure would make life easier to download pics into the CM Gallery!

donna

Old July 14th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Admiral

I agree with what Papa Bill said about need a camera with very high megapixels. I am working with a Canon S30 and it does just fine for me. My pictures are clear and I can download them easily. Camera is also very easy to use. Must be I use it.

Carnival Glory
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Richard, I think PapaBill has given you some excellent advice. Now, I have a true story for you and it has some "food for thought" particularly regarding the selection of a camera that one might take on a cruise. I am an advanced amateur photographer. My camera and other photography equipment are fairly cheap by a lot of standards, but it gets the job done.

I took a cruise to Alaska back in 2002 and took along my relatively inexpensive Canon SLR and a couple of lenses. I shot like crazy and came home with at least 30 rolls of exposed slide film. I took it in to be developed. When I went to pick up my slides, the dark room technician/part time pro photographer brought out my slides and made a comment about what beautiful slides I had shot in Alaska...and then quickly disappeared. I went over to the light table to get my first look at my shots and one of the other technicians ask if I would mind if he looked over my shoulder at some of the shots that I had taken. I said that I didn't mind, but expressed a little surprise that he had not seen them as the other guy had processed them. Then he told me that he had not gone into the darkroom that afternoon because the other technician was cursing up a storm. He then told me that the technician had also gone to Alaska a month or so before I had. He had taken his fancy, expensive medium format camera, but didn't get all of the shots that I had because he kept the camera locked up in the purser's office for safe-keeping for most of the cruise because he was afraid that it might get stolen or damaged. A medium format camera and lenses are also big and bulky so they are more difficult to carry around. The moral of the story, don't buy a camera that is so expensive that you have to keep it locked up because it may be a target for thieves or so big and heavy that it is a nuisance to carry around because you will miss good photo ops.

To answer your original question, I have 2 entry level Canon Digital SLRs now that I will take on my next cruise with a few lenses. I do like Canon equipment. Each is around 6MP each, but then I do a lot of large prints because I am involved in competitive photography and sell some of my prints as well. I don't consider either camera a "theft magnet" and none of my equipment is too big to carry around comfortably...so I will get more great shots on my next Alaska Cruise in September.

Old July 14th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to 3FOB5Paradise

I'm a Nikon kind of guy My TV/Photography teacher also uses Nikons.
I used to have a Coolpix 885. It got old (my grandmother is the new owner) so I upgraded to the 5.0 megapixel Coolpix 5700. It is a point and shoot, with 4x digital zoom, a whole bunch of options including videos with audio, continuous capture modes, lots of saturation and sharpness controls, manual and autofocus, pop-up speedlight with hot-shoe, and more.
Compared to my old one the lens is about four times bigger. And it is a great design. All the buttons are literally press-able and all the functions adjustable while in the picture-taking position. It has a rotating lcd screen, plus an Electronic Viewfinder which allows you to use all the menus and functions without using the LCD. The picture quality has been amazing. The old one just couldn't cut it compared to this one!
It normally sells for over 500 bucks but I got mine slightly used off ebay using buy it now for about $415. I just bought two more genuine nikon batteries for a total of 3 genuines (much better battery life than the two generics I had before) and I have two or possibly three 128 mb memory cards just to be safe.

Old July 15th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Set4 and I recently purchased a Kodak Easyshare DX-6490 after reading hundreds of reviews, the pros outweighed the cons. We like the features such as the 101x optical zoom, 3x digital zoom and the easyshare docking system. We feel that this camera will do what we require on our cruises. Since I carry a lightweight full size tripod we should get some great pics with the 10x optical zoom.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old July 15th, 2004, 10:07 AM
AR

I'm a Nikon guy too. Mine uses those rolls of chemical-coated plastic with sprocket holes in the sides. Still works very well. I get processing and and index print, then scan the negatives with a very good film scanner, make what corrections I want, then get whatever prints I want made super cheap at Costco. I can't imagine going through the trouble of printing at home, given the cost of photo ink, paper and inevitable waste, compared to the incredibly cheap (and excellent) true photographic prints you get at discount stores.
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Beginner

Hi,
I recently bought the Casio QVR-51 5 MP has lots of best mode features, the pictures are very clear and very easy to operate.
brenda
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:50 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

I absolutely LOVE my Olympus Camedia C700! It only has 2.1 megapixels (kind of outdated by today's standards) but more than makes up for it with a 10X optical zoom! It takes great pictures!

Cathy in NYC

Old July 17th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Richard Lewis Send a message via MSN to Richard Lewis

I want to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. We searched high and low for a camera that we can both be happy with - and at the right price. We have decided to go with a Canon PowerShot A75. We'll get delivery of it next week. I'll post more info on it in the next new post.

Thanks again!!
R

Star Princess Sept 1/04 - Mediterranean