Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 24th, 2003, 06:07 AM
salem5050

Default Good move Congress!

Congress considered but rejected legislation this year that would have banned the use of any "downed animal" parts for human consumption.

Found this on the internet....so what it means is if a animal is not able to walk into the slaughter house, congress says its ok to slaughter it and feed it to us.

Now in light of this "downed" animal with Mad Cow Disease, that was able to be slaughtered, we all have to wonder where the meat went?

No beef for me....

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Good move Congress!

Front page of the Times-Union this morning claims the first case of Mad Cow disease is suspected in America. Given the situation, I guess Mad Cow disease in America is better than Mad Moose disease in Canada.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 24th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I knew there was a reason I prefer seafood over beef.
Angela Z., whose husband has worked for a meat company for 20 some years......
Old December 24th, 2003, 09:55 AM
starfighter

Hey, give them enough time and they'll invent Mad Fish Disease. If Mad Cow disease is caused by cows eating meat and we know that big fish eat little fish, then it's just a matter of time. And the vegetarians will inherit the Earth!
Old December 24th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Good move Congress!

Not necessarily Starfighter. You forgot about Mad Carrot Disease. I know, right now they are only slightly preturbed but they are just about angry and it is just a matter of time before they get mad.
Jim

Old December 24th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Admiral

Mary Margaret:

Do you have the Bill Number so that we can look it up? How about the full title? I wonder how often things get twisted before they show up on the web. I tried searching firstgov.gov. Although there were speeches going back a few years, I couldn't find a bill (or a vote) from this year. With the bill number or full title I could do the search that way.

I wouldn't trust everything posted on the PETA website.

Post Edited (12-24-03 12:50)

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:48 PM
salem5050

Marc, I did not say it was posted on a PETA WEBSITE..it is headline news on cnn.
Here is the web site
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/24/mad.cow/index.html

This can really effect our economy.

Mary Margaret
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Good move Congress!

Thanks. I saw that. Just didn't notice reference to Downed Animal Protection Act. I will try to look more at home.

Sure glad other countries are not accepting US beef now. Hopefully, beef prices will drop. I am tired of paying the current high prices.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old December 24th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Passenger

Hi everyone,
well we had it here first [UK]!!! Apart from the French not buying our beef nothing much changed and we still eat beef at least twice a week with no ill effects. Hope it is short lived,
Teresa
Old December 27th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Admiral

It makes sense that every animal be tested and given a health exam before slaughter, even if the cost of that prime rib does go up a bit. I.M.H.O. God knows they check other animals for diseases like salmonella, etc.