Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2004, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Default My wedding - part 1: rehearsal

First of all, thanks for thinking of me and Mark and for all your good wishes and prayers for our wedding. They must have helped, because it was the best day of my life! I hope everyone had a merry Christmas, happy Hannukah, and is enjoying a fabulous New Year.

Here comes the illustrated saga of my wedding, complete with pictures! I'll be adding a gallery shortly.

Cast of characters:
me - the bride
Mark - the groom
Alex - my brother and bridal attendant
Margaux - my brother's girlfriend and my bridesmaid
Samantha (Sam) - Mark's sister, my matron of honor
Mark's dad was the best man
Groomsmen were Jason, John, and Shawn.

My Wedding: Part 1 - The Rehearsal

On Friday, December 12, I slept fairly late. When I got up, I spent all morning packing and didn’t leave the house until around 2:00. On the drive to St. Augustine, I listened to my tape of Patrick Stewart reading “A Christmas Carol.” My parents had rented a beach house in St. Augustine for the weekend, and I got there around 4:30. The house was beautiful! It was right on the ocean and was huge, with many bedrooms. I had to share a bathroom with Alex and Margaux though. They were already there, as were my parents.

We got ready for the rehearsal and all headed out in one car. We were the first ones at the church, and most people started arriving shortly after. The rehearsal was supposed to start at 6:00. Around that time I got a call from Mark – he and the groomsmen were stuck in traffic and would be late. The priest, Father Dan, was waiting with us at that time, and I told him the news and refreshed his memory about what we wanted in the service. Since he couldn’t remember anything we had talked about previously, I decided it would be a safe bet that he wouldn’t remember what kind of dress I was wearing and that I would be daring and bare my shoulders without a wrap.

Finally, Mark and the groomsmen arrived – roaring drunk! Luckily, they weren’t too embarrassing, but I was sure they wouldn’t remember a single detail about the rehearsal. The priest, who was about 80, had a very hard time getting his mind around the fact that my brother was standing on my side and was not a groomsman. I think finally he just gave up and said, “whatever!”

We went through the rehearsal twice. It seemed very complicated and we just couldn’t get the details right. It was fun, though, and my dad and I joked to each other every time we walked up the aisle.

My dad and I practice walking down the aisle.

The rehearsal.

After the rehearsal, we all left to go to Chili’s for the rehearsal dinner. Mark’s mom had called a few hours earlier and confirmed the arrangements. Well, when we got there, they had no idea who we were and had not set up at all for a party of our size. We ended up all sitting at separate tables. I was about ready to cry, since it was not at all what I had in mind for my rehearsal dinner. It ended up being okay, though; no one was able to make speeches, but we didn’t really need to. I sat with Mark and his family, which I wasn’t too happy about since I see them all the time and rarely see my family, but oh well. Mark and I did go around and pass out gifts to everyone for helping, and it ended up being a fun time despite a disastrous beginning.

After the rehearsal dinner, I rode with Mark and his friends to the beach house to show it off. My mom gave them a tour and everyone stood out on the back porch and talked for a while. Then Mark and his friends decided to leave to go to a bar. I didn’t want to go so I said goodnight to them. I took Mark aside and gave him a card I had written for him about how I couldn’t wait to be married to him. I told him not to open it until the next day. He said sure and left. Later in the week I asked him if he liked the card. “What card?” he said. He had been so drunk he didn’t even remember I gave him a card. To this day we have no idea where it is.

I stayed up a little and talked to my family, but it was late and I had to get up early the next morning, so I took two Tylenol PM and went to bed. I didn’t have any trouble sleeping.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Post Edited (01-01-04 16:02)

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2004, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.
Default Re: My wedding - part 1: rehearsal

Michelle,
I love that your brother was your attendant!
The church is beautiful.
Angela Z.
Old January 1st, 2004, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: My wedding - part 1: rehearsal

Great story Michelle, can't wait to read the rest!

donna