Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2004, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Default My wedding - part 5: anticipation

My wedding - part 5: anticipation

Around 6:30 the photographer left and we decided it was time to hide before the ceremony. My mom, dad, grandmother, aunt, Margaux, and I went into a room by the gift shop to await the start of the ceremony.

My grandmother and I waiting for the ceremony to start.

Sam hadn’t arrived back yet. Someone came and told me she had fallen and skinned her knee at the hotel and was running late. When she arrived, she told me what else was going on. At the last minute, she and her husband Travis had had to bring their children, a one-year-old and a three-year-old, on the trip, since the babysitters were ill. I knew this, but what I didn’t know was that Travis was having a problem making the three-year-old behave, and he ended up staying behind at the hotel with the children to watch them. Since he was one of the readers, I was dismayed to hear this, but Samantha found someone to step in at the last minute.

The bride's brother Alex and his girlfriend Margaux, my bridesmaid, waiting.

Although we couldn’t see anything from where we were, we could hear that the guests were beginning to arrive. I had a granola bar since I hadn’t eaten anything since lunch. We laughed about this and deemed it “The Feeding of the Bride.”

Soon the organ music began. I had chosen four preludes, but she started playing some beautiful music before then. Eventually I recognized “Spring,” from The Seasons, by Vivaldi, which was the first prelude piece I had chosen. I hadn’t been nervous all day, but at that point I began to get a few butterflies in my stomach. It was finally here! The preludes progressed through “Ave Maria,” by Bach-Gounod, which I wish I had paid more attention to. The cantor had an absolutely beautiful voice and I got many compliments on that piece later. Next the organist played, “Hornpipe in D,” from Handel’s Water Music; what a triumphant and regal piece. Finally, I heard the cantor singing “One Hand, One Heart,” from West Side Story by Leonard Bernstein, and knew that was the final prelude before the ceremony. The mothers of the bride and groom and my grandmother were ushered to the back of the church to await their entrance, and I peeked around the corner of my waiting room to watch.

“Where Sheep May Safely Graze,” my mom’s favorite song, began. I looked at my mom and she and I grinned at each other in shared recognition of the familiar piece. Alex came down from the front and took my grandmother up to her seat, then a groomsmen took Mark’s mom to her seat, and then Alex came back to seat my mother. He stayed at the front of the church after she was seated and stood on my side.

My brother walking my mom down the aisle.

At the opening notes of “Canon in D,” by Pachelbel, I watched my bridesmaid Margaux start up the aisle, followed by my matron of honor Samantha. Instead of bridesmaids’ bouquets, I had chosen for them to carry candles in glasses down the aisle. Around the stems of the glasses were branches of cedar and a bow made of burgundy velvet ribbon. The effect was stunning.

Margaux walking down the aisle.

Sam walking down the aisle.

After Samantha began up the aisle, my dad came back to where I was standing. “I’m told I’m supposed to come get you now,” he said, and we giggled. He and I walked down the short hall to the wooden doors that opened onto the center aisle. The coordinator had shut the doors in preparation for my entrance, and dad and I stood behind them, waiting for our moment.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Post Edited (01-01-04 16:12)

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2004, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.
Default Re: My wedding - part 5: anticipation

Everything is just beautiful....I feel like I keep saying that!
I know you must've been disappointed that your friend couldn't be there to do the reading but I give him kudos for not bringing young kids that might disrupt.
Angela Z.
Old January 1st, 2004, 06:00 PM
Yeoman

Michelle,
You had alot of the same music as Jeff and I had 12 years ago Much Happiness
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old January 1st, 2004, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Michelle, I LOVE Canon in D by Pachelbel, and had it edited into my wedding video too!
Those "candle bouquets" were stunning, and perfect for a pre-Christmas wedding!
Can't wait to see more!

donna