CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Lots & lots of questions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/266605-lots-lots-questions.html)

Debbie R. Morgan January 5th, 2004 12:14 PM

Lots & lots of questions

Hi!

I just stumbled upon this site, and am so glad I did. Cruisers seem very nice!

My husband, myself and 3 children (17, 8, & 6) are thinking about a cruise in April.
I dont even know where to begin to look.

I would like to leave from NY, 7 days, carribean, BIG boat, even Bigger rooms with balconies, kid friendly, not too stuffy, all-inclusive, and lots of fun.
What cruise lines should I start with? Carnival is the name that pops into mind.

I dont want to say money is no object, I know you get what you pay for, but I dont want to go for a cheap way out.. Can 3 adults and 2 children cruise for a week on a $10-13,000 buget?

Thanks for any info you can give!!!!!!!!!!!

MaryLou January 5th, 2004 12:22 PM

Re: Lots & lots of questions

Hi Debbie:
We are glad you found us also! Cruising is a wonderful way to vacation. You did say you wanted "all inclusive"...please keep in mind that most cruiselines do not include your beverages other than iced-tea or lemonaide.
Following are two great areas for you to explore that can answer many of your questions. The first area is our Cruise Bazaar with many advertized cruises and the second is our "first time cruisers" area that is very helpful.
You certainly can find a cruise in the budget you mentioned. Please let us know what you decide and if you have any specific questions. We also have a nightly chat where we could answer your questions. Join us from 9-10:15 p.m. Eastern Time.

http://www.cruisemates.com/CF/bazaar/index.cfm
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/firsttime/

Set2cruz January 5th, 2004 12:46 PM

Welcome to Cruisemates, glad to have you on board.

Chuck Palm January 5th, 2004 01:11 PM

I think you can easily meet your budget. Shop wisely and watch the pricing trends. Use internet cruise outlets for pricing and then use a good travel agent you trust that will match or nearly match the online pricing. Have fun planning.

cap'nkruzer January 5th, 2004 02:19 PM

Welcome..stranger ! Sit a spell, glad to have you with us.
Your budget is truly gererous and I know you will find just what you're looking for. Keep us posted. ;-)
SSaFWs..ED

Jim Bragg January 5th, 2004 02:36 PM

Welcome onboard Debbie. Heck, for half that priuce I'll find you a great cruise in a grat cabin and even go with you to show you around! <LOL> Seriously, it really will not cost you anywhere near that amount and you can still have a wonderful time on a great ship, itinary, and cabin. CCL has many very good ships but you may also wish to check out RCI, NCL, Princess, Disney, etc. etc and see if any of those lines strikes your fancy as well. Check out the various areas of this website for ships reviews both the professional reviewer and the average cruisers reviews. Great insight in choosing what fits you best. Everyone seems to have their own preferances and that is a wonderful thing and the reason why there are choices. All lines, ships, etc seem to do something just a little bit better than the other lines, ships. You can also check out the advertising area on this website and find excellant travel agents that have good reputations.
Jim

PapaBill January 5th, 2004 03:56 PM

Re: Re: Lots & lots of questions

Debbie, with that budget you can cruise for a lot more than a week.

You said you wanted to cruise the Caribbean and leave from NY in April. Does that mean you want to SAIL from NY or that you want to FLY from NY?
You can in fact sail to parts of the Caribbean from NY, but not in April. A little later in the season (May) you can sail out of NY on an 8 day to the Caribbean on a Carnival ship
(probably Carnival Legend) and you can sail out of NJ (Bayonne) on RCCL (on a 9 day
it's either Voyager or Adventure of the Seas). You can sail out of NY year round on NCL
but they only go to Florida and the Bahamas. You can also sail from NY from late April to October to Bermuda on any number of cruise lines from Celebrity to RCCL to Carnival.
Your choices out of Florida and other southern ports are too endless to begin to list.
I suggest a good Travel Agent specializing or with experience in cruise bookings.
Once again your budget is extremely generous to say the least and you should be able to travel for MUCH less.
Welcome to CruiseMates and Happy Cruising.

rollerdonna January 5th, 2004 05:37 PM

Welcome Debbie, and have fun planning your cruise! We sailed Carnival Legend out of N.Y. last Aug. and had a blast, including with a teenager! I'm sure whatever you choose, you and your family will not be disappointed - and welcome to the club!

donna in Montreal.

Trip January 5th, 2004 06:24 PM

Hi Debbie, and welcome aboard..Please feel free as Mary Lou mentioned to come chat with us Mon-Fri starting at 9:00 est..3 of the hosts, we are filled to the brim with so much information, and the group, will gladly answer any and all questions you have...I am hosting tonight, Mary Lou, hosts Thursday, and Jim, handles Fridays, so please stop by and say hello....Trip/Monday Chat Host

david d January 7th, 2004 02:57 PM

No need to spend that much especially on CCL which I wouldn't go on b/c it is too risky. I have heard too many bad stories to take a chance. We just booked (2 adults and 2 kids) a cruise on the Caribbeam Princess mini suite (324 sq. ft.) plu balcony for 3400. WEven with the flights we are well under 10,000. We did a bunch of research and it seems that RCL and Princess are the best for families. Many kid programs. RCL was more expensive and the accomodations were smaller. You would probably need two rooms on RCL. Good luck!

Robyn January 7th, 2004 10:27 PM

i'm going 8 day 's with my 2 kids in a few weeks (yes april is high ) with cruise and air i have $1,800 in it so you will have enough to take us along :)