Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2004, 12:06 PM
david d

Default flights

We are cruising out of Lauderdale on April 10 (Easter weekend) and are having a very hard time finding reasonable flights. Any suggestions? We can always go with the cruise line (@ $359 each--there are 4 of us) but would rather book our own for less. We live in Cleveland.

Also, if we are forced to go through the cruise line (Princess) how reliabale are they in getting us and our luggage there on time for departure which is 5 or 5:30?
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2004, 01:59 PM
First Mate

Default Re: flights

David,

Have you considered maybe going down the night before - a Friday in this case? That should give you some flexibility in time which may translate into a less expensive flight. Granted it would involve an overnight stay, but that's a matter for another e-mail (hint: use Priceline!).

I am in the process of finding air for our 4/16 criuise out of FLL and am using Orbitz. We live in Connecticut. So far $193 per is the best I can do, but I still have a little time.

We are plannig on staying over the night before and the night after.

Good luck !

Sid1962
Old January 6th, 2004, 04:16 PM
david d

Default Re: Re: flights

Thanks. Yes we have and are not having any luck. I think that because it is Easter weekend I am having trouble. Great rate for you. If I were you I would snap it up.
Old January 6th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Admiral

David it's tough sometimes. If you have the option to put cruise air on hold without actually booking, sometimes the fares go down as the time draws nearer.

We were supposed to go on a Thanksgiving cruise and was having the same difficulty as you what with the holiday so I rushed into buying tickets on Priceline and shortly after the prices dropped radically and I could have purchased air for less that I had paid and from a more convenient airport. In hindsight I know I should have waited but that's a tough decision to make when the cost could go up. I think it's the price we pay for cruising over a holiday.

Good luck.

Carnival Glory
Old January 6th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Passenger

why not drive? We do it every year from chicago to orlando, ftlauderdale ,key largo or where ever else we want to go. It really isn't as bad as you think and then you have a great cruise to look forward to.
Old January 6th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

try going out of akron /canton i fly out of there alot on airtrans but i will be going on the spirt in 2 weeks and got a deal out of pittsburg that really made it worth the drive it saved me $90 per ticket .(we were buying 6 tickets ) found a hotel that will let me leave my car there for free while i go.
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Yeoman

David,
Check with Delta Song also
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old January 7th, 2004, 02:38 PM
david d

Default Re: Re: flights

Thanks for all of the advice. Here is what we did. First of all the prices were going up by the day and by quite a bit. The cruise line fare was 359 plus 25 tax times 4 people--ouch. We are flying out of Canton Akron airport (we are in Cleveland--another 15 minute drive) into Miami the day before (we prefer to arrive the day before anyway) and flyinh out of West Palm on Saturday night. I rented a car from Ft. Lauderdale airport on the return day to be returned in West Palm which will cost about 50. Each flight is 297. While there is some extra driving I think it is better then not only paying more but being at the mercy of the cruise line on those flights. They usually have 2 lay overs and get you in with no time to spare i.e luggage may not make it.

We are looking forward to the Caribbean Princess (2nd voyage ever) in a mini suite with a balcony.
Old January 7th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

you don't need to get to cak 2 hours before your flight . i try to get there 45 min. and i have enough time
have a great time always shop airports we live to close not too !