Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2004, 02:30 PM
howard rosen

Default Documents for child traveling with relative

My brother and SIL will be taking my son on vacation with them to the Dominican Republic this summer. They will not be going on a cruise - but to a all inclusive club.
I have read on this board that young children that travel with a parent who is divorced needs a letter allowing them to travel. Even though the last names will be the same the passport will show different names of the parents, My question is this what should the letter that I give my brother say, also must this letter be notarized? What other documents or letters will my son need in order to travel with my brother and his family.

I know this is preety wordy - but thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Howard
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Re: Documents for child traveling with relative

To be sure there will not be any problems my advice is to contact the Imagration personnel (Customs). They will tell you exactly what will be required. I am sure the document must show that you have given them permission to accompany your relatives. But make the contact for your own protection.

Cruising on Royal Princess: April, 25 2015. Transatlantic: Port Everglades to Southampton
Old January 12th, 2004, 02:44 PM
MichelleM

You also want to put in that document that your family members have your permission to seek medical attention for your child in an emergency in case you can't be contacted. And attach a copy of your health insurance information to the form and any travel insurance that you might be providing for the child, most HMO's don't cover anything outside the US.
Old January 12th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Mickie

The notarized letter will also need to be signed by the childs other parent or a death certificate must be taken as well should the other parent be deceased.
Old January 12th, 2004, 03:09 PM
howard rosen

Thanks for the info
Old January 12th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Something else I found out when my son travelled with his grandfather was even though you give the relative permission to seek medical attention you should also let your health insurance provider know that your child will be travelling with your relatives and that they have permission to seek medical care.....at least this is the case with Blue Cross Blue Shield. I had to fax them authorization which had to include my son's name and who he was travelling with and when.
Angela Z.
Old January 12th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Last year we took my son's best friend with us on a cruise. We had his parents sign a letter permitting us to take their son out of the country, and we had no problem with that.
Come to think of it, I also had my son's father (divorced) sign a letter permitting me to take him out of the country, even though I legally have custody. Beter safe than sorry..

donna