Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Default If you've got the money, I've got the time!

What keeps you from cruising more often? It seems like most of us are cruising once or twice per year but would love to cruise more often, if even just on the shorter 3-5 day cruises.

If you're neither constrained by money or time, you don't need to respond to this. For me, last year I had the time, but not the money. Before that I had the money, but not the time. Now I have neither the time or the money.

Regards,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: If you've got the money, I've got the time!

OY Thomas,
I think a lot of us are in that same boat, its feast or famine?? May-be I should of not said boat....I have one cruise planned so far this year, thinking that may be it for the reasons you listed......guess I got to keep working, HUH?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can only speak in general terms, because my first cruise is coming up in November.

I have plenty of time, because my job provides me with a generous vacation package. For me, the issue is money.

For my wife, both are issues. She gets VERY little vacation time.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Yup, I have neither time nor money. I am in negative vacation time and positive credit card bills. Not a fun place to be.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:45 PM
tigger1

Being our first cruise, coming up this November (7- day west. Carrib).....we can't wait. The more we read on the boards the more we are wondering, why the heck in the past didn't we take a cruise (for vacations)....."If I could turn back time".

Oh well here's to making fun memories aboard the Splendour of the Seas....November just can't get here quick enough!

Tigger
Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Cold hard cash is my problem, or lack thereof. A lot of dental work, unexpected car repairs and a couple of other things will probably not allow us to cruise next year. I think that realistically if we didn't have said problems we would definately cruise once a year.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Definately money............I always have time or at least I make time.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:03 PM
First Mate

it always seems like it is money related....we can make time but we need money....it seems as if our timing is always off..or something else comes up!!
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:06 PM
Captain

I have quite a bit of vacation time and when tied into holidays I can cruise quite a bit. Money is the main problem. I do not cruise less than 7 days ever because anything less does not feel like a cruise to me. I do try to find good sales on cruises so that I can cruise more often and when on a cruise I am picky about what tours I may do due to the price. I also book the inside rooms with a guarantee to try to keep the price down.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:11 PM
cruisinKandJ

Definitely a money issue . . .we have a cruise scheduled in April, and that might be the last one. We are on a limited income and struggle with unexpected expenses as everyone else does, the need for a new car, plus ever-present bills. Depressing.

J.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:36 PM
First Mate

For me personally, time is not an issue. However, it is for my husband. And he is much more concerned about the money than I am. He feels one cruise every two years is plenty!!!! It is not enough for me. If anyone would like a married woman in her 50's, non-smoker, social drinker, who loves to cruise as a cruise mate, please let me know. I am fine with just sharing expenses for a cabin. We can do things together or go our own way. I need to cruise!!!!!!!!
Bobbie
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:54 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen

Hi Bobbie,
I hear you. Married to "frugal frank" who believes that cruising is too hedonistic! Talked him into a med cruise for our 25th in May (he was okay with that since we are using FF miles to get over there and the fluctuating value of the Euro makes cruising economical).
Though I'm not a big Carnival Fan, I booked a cabin on the Jubilee out of San Juan Mid-March as the single supplement was not astronomical and I was given a very nice military discount. I figure you only live once and I'm not getting any younger.
As to Thomas's question, I'm a schoolteacher, so money and timing are both issues.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 02:55 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: If you've got the money, I've got the time!

Hi:
For us the problem is definitely the money. We have the time, as we're older workers and have vacation time built up; but still paying for college expenses for our son, so the lack of money is the issue. I think a cruise every three months would get me thru the working year, but right now, I cruise at least once a year; twice a year if I'm lucky. I just got a brochure in the mail on a World Cruise for a year from now and even the least expensive cruise and air fare is more money than I'll ever have; but its nice to look at the itinerary and dream about it. Does anyone know of anyone who has taken the World Cruise and how they liked it? I love cruising, but I wonder if a World Cruise would be too long? I think the only thing that would bother me, would be the fact that I'd have to be separated from my two dogs for three months and I don't think either one of us would handle that very well. I think that would be my only problem. Maybe one day, if you have just a little dog, they'll let you bring him along. Nice to think about.
Happy Cruising.....Anita
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Admiral

I think Ray and Helen have done this World Cruise.....................probably about a dozen times. I think they cruise about, oh..........................23,459 days a year. Sheeesh!

They're my heros!!!!

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:20 PM
Admiral

I'm a stay at home Mom and my cruise buddy (my son) is homeschooled, so we have a flexible schedule. Time isn't the issue, it's money.

We just cruised, but plan on going again this year. I am teaching a couple of classes to some homeschooled kids and my dh and I decided that the money from those classes would be "found" money that wouldn't be factored into the budget.

What it boils down to is that it's MY money to do with as I wish - which is a real treat when you haven't been a breadwinner for 13 years! Guess what I do with my teaching money, folks? Right! Cruising! Of course, if I were a really fiscally responsible person I would use the money for bills, or to put that new roof on we've been needing, but......guess I'm not.

I ended up teaching my 2 classes to 2 different groups this quarter, so have DOUBLE the amount I thought I would. DOUBLE THE CRUISING - HURRAY!!

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:43 PM
First Mate

Doreen,
Our husbands must be related!!!! Sure you don't want company in March? It sounds great. I still have not tried cruising without hubby, but that does not mean that I won't.
Bobbie
Old January 22nd, 2004, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Here's this winter's trade off - "let's see, new hip, cruise? new hip, cruise? new hip, cruise?"

Hip won and a week from tomorrow I should have a new hip and then cruise in fall.

Back to the original question, it's usually the money - 4 weeks vacation is great but being self supporting (for 20 years) is getting old! Another income would sure be nice.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen

Hi Bobby,
I was initially nervous about going myself but have already been contacted by a very nice lady who is taking her mom and three aunts on the cruise. I'm on the Jubilee out of San Juan March 13th. Carnival Air from Kansas City was a little more than the lowest rate on Expedia last month and I've got my ride to the pier. I was originally supposed to go with my sister who also lives in New Jersey but she wouldn't commit so I booked myself. My TA says that there are specials for New Jersey residents so you could even have your own room for very little extra. I like the itinerary and since I teach high school, I want to avoid the spring break crowd.
Doreen
Old January 22nd, 2004, 06:59 PM
adalace

Sometimes its the money but most of the times its that I have no one to go with besides from my boyfriend.
Either A my friends have other priorities or B it's not that time.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

(Ducking here), but thank the Lord both time and money are plentiful. It helps because we are 1.5 hours away from the LA port -- no flights.

If anything else, I have to judge work-wise where escrows will stand when we leave ... that's why we are more prone to leave at the first of the month.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Money is certainly a consideration but right now it's lack of vacation time that keeps me landlocked.....torture to drive past Port Canaveral on a Saturday or Sunday! I earn 10 hours a month vacation but ran it all down moving dad down here and then our move........someday I'll have some on the books.
Angela Z.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Definately the money is a problem, daycare educators don't make a whole lot, and even married to an airline employee, there's still all the regular bills...... He has lots of time off (35+ years) but I only get 2 weeks a year, supposed to be taken in the summer, but it's WINTER I want to cruise away from!!

donna

Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Jose and I are by no means rich, but there are some really reasonable prices out there these days. I have lots of vacation time because I've been with my company since before dirt was invented. It's Jose who has a hard time getting the time off. The restuarant has always closed for 2 weeks in summer, and that's when he takes his vacation whether it's when he wants to travel or not. We were supposed to cruise during that time this past July, but the Norway's explosion put an end to that for us. The accident happened on Memorial Day weekend, but NCL wouldn't release us from our booking until 2 weeks before the cruise, and by then there wasn't much left to choose from. Consequently, I cruised without Jose in September when I did the Carnival Glory with susancruzs. We have our Panama Canal Carnival Spirit cruise coming up on March 30 , and Jose says he'll just live with whatever the consequences are, but he's going no matter what. He already cancelled it once. So time seems to be our biggest enemy against cruising! Once we retire and move to Costa Rica, we'll have all the time in the world, but not the money! !

Old January 22nd, 2004, 10:30 PM
Mark&Deb

After our daughter's wedding & then our cruise we are now limited to a plasic boat in the bathtub & lying on the bathroom floor in our swimsuit w/the heat lamp on while gazing at post-cruise pictures! We are still waiting to become independently wealthy...and waiting.....and waiting.....................

Mark&Deb
Old January 23rd, 2004, 01:54 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks

My vote goes to both!

Dhīs vacation gets planned with the accuracy of the space shuttle take off only to have it called off in the last second. Planning a vacation is no problem. Itīs actually having the vacation thatīs dificult!

Cruise or otherwise, vacations are financially on the low end of the totem pole since we built our house. Now that the house is finished, cash can flow towards a vacation. Not this year but next!

karen
Old January 23rd, 2004, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Considering we live close to the ports...time is an issue and after that money. The 2 kids add a lot to the cost of a cruise. If it's just the 2 of us maybe we could squeeze a weekkend in here and there. But my husband has only 2 weeks off per year..not a whole lot. Money is an issue too....our kids need things, private school pays for a world cruise per year I am sure...bills, bills bills.......But when they are grown we will have time and extra money...so let's see in 2012...I be 100....cruising ...........yeah right...

Old January 23rd, 2004, 08:08 PM
Born to Cruise

Hi,

I have a female friend who cruises with my husband and I. She is always looking for
someone to share a cabin. Only thing is: we book balconies or higher. If you are interested send me an e-mail: reevesshifflett@earthlink.net