Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:08 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Doreen
Default What' wrong with me?

It's Friday afternoon and I just finished letting my students have it for not staying focused. As they work on their assignments, instead of doing something constructive, I just sit here in front of my laptop pulling pictures of differerent cruiseships.

The realization is dawning...my husband is right.....I am a cruiseaholic! Is there any cure other than a cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:10 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What' wrong with me?

Look at my punctuation! "What' wrong with me?" I'm pretty pathetic
Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:34 PM
Admiral

No…your addicted…It only gets worse from here.

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Ash

Congratulations for having such great students who work silently when they are told and give you the breathing room to daydream a little. Lord knows, Friday is as long as Mondays for teachers!

Ash

Radisson Seven Seas Mariner
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Admiral

I explained the phenomenon in other threads, and more than once. Now this applies since apparently you have been on at least one cruise.

You are not addicted; you are possessed. Ships have souls and one, maybe more, has possessed you. You can't exorcise it, you can only indulge it by booking the next cruise. That pervasive sound you hear below decks when the ship is under way is more than the murmur of the engines, or the shafts turning over. That is the voice of the ship's soul singing to you. And she has a way of becoming an essential part of your being. When you disembark, you feel its absence in the form of post cruise depression.

O you get through it, sure. You learn to cope. Life ashore gets back to routine. And then, sooner or later, the soul that possessed you will start singing again. It probably happens in an unnoticed stage of sleep, in a dream you don't remember. You just find yourself visiting cruise websites, or pouring over old photo albums and sighing. It all boils down to a ship calling you back to sea.

So forget what Homer said about the evil Sirens on shore. The true songs are sung by the ships, tugging you in the opposite direction. And they are quite benevolent, as you have experienced.

So tell your husband you're not a cruiseaholic; you're a navimaniac--and if there is no such word, there should be(!)--and for that, fortunately, there is no cure. So you gotta book the next one!

Steve

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Steve, I'm pretty sure that the sound I heard in my unnoticed state of sleep was, Baaawwwooosh. {{wink}}
Doreen, you have a disease called "IwannagottaneedtocruiseassoonasIcan". {{grin}}
I'm happy to tell you that there is no cure, except, another cruise.

Post Edited (01-23-04 16:41)
Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old January 23rd, 2004, 05:44 PM
Mark&Deb

I'm so bad w/the blah-post-cruise syndrome that I haven't been able to pull out of it in the past 2 weeks. I actually called in "sick" today. I stayed in my pajamas most of the day looking up on the internet more places to go! Like some old drunk! Jeez! I finally got in the shower around 3:30pm! I'm just wondering what all I can sell to get more cruise money! Can we say A-D-D-I-C-T-E-D?!

Mark&Deb
Old January 23rd, 2004, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

There is nothing wrong with you. You are normal. There is something wrong with people who don't feel like you feel.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Amen Belgique!

Steve, I just LOVE your "possessed" theory!

Doreen, I know how you feel. Just keep reading the boards and flipping through your cruise books (I have one from just about every line....). Have a garage sale, sell some stuff on e-bay, don't eat out and put that money away. Before you know it you'll be cruising again!

My son and I have a "cruise jar" in the kitchen. All change goes into it at the end of the week. If we resist eating out or anything else, THAT money goes into the cruise jar. Every little bit helps!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 24th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Passenger

Hi Doreen,
no there is no cure at present! However, my five year olds are not so easy to control on a Friday! Thank goodness it is the weekend and I can do a bit of dreaming,
Teresa
Old January 24th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Admiral

You're one sick puppy of a teacher, Doreen, but there is a cure. Here's what you must do, in four easy steps:
1) Book a cruise (length, itinerary, etc. do not matter...just book one!);
2) Post your cruise data into your signature on CruiseMates (you know, date/time you'll be cruising, name of ship, etc.);
3) Every day from then until your cruising date (aka your "berthday"), post a message or look at one of your old messages so that you can visually confirm that your time to cruise is drawing near; and
4) Shortly before your berthday, book another cruise.

See? Isn't that simple, Doreen? No longer will you have to mope around the house or school. Any time you're feeling gloomy, just log on to CruiseMates and see your next dream coming true. Happy cruisin'!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old January 24th, 2004, 05:34 PM
First Mate

You guys are hilarious! After my husband read this thread he thought we were all nuts. He did however, give me the okay to cruise away(without him) during spring break so I'm booked on the Jubilee out of San Juan 3/13.

My deepest sympathies are extended to all (especially those on the Eastern Seaboard) who have no cruise in their immediate future...and then there's my twenty-year old son who is cruising the the Arabian Sea with the US Navy. He says screw the warm weather. He just wants to come home.

48 days & counting...
Doreen
Old January 24th, 2004, 09:03 PM
jackigurl

It's all about ,Stress baby ,Stress,Thats what rules our world. In this century we work and work and work some more, Oh then theres the taxes , taxes after taxes. So bottom line is enjoy life now while you can, credit is the answer , why wait until retirement, no such thing, we are lucky to live until then, Most people live from payday to payday!! So in order to enjoy life go into overdraft. I watched both my parents pass away in thier early fifties, never to have enjoyed vacations, waiting until retirement,Well retirement came to late!!!!!
Old January 24th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Mark - I have that disease.

Dorothy - I, too, have a cruise fund jar.....but I seem to empty it out for the "pennies for playground" program at church every week. I figure it will come back to me somehow.

Other than cruising I just hang around here and live vicariously through others.

Jodi