Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Kellee

Default Shy Husband

I am trying to convince my husband to book a summer cruise, he prefers an all inclusive. His reasoning is that he is shy and is uncomfortable mingling...are the large table dining on a cruise ship, and social situations uncomfortable for many?
Hmmmmmmmm
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:52 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

Default Re: Shy Husband

You can book a table for 2, and ease him into it. I used to be introverted, but my husband got me out of that, and now i enjoy having a large table when we cruise. We have made some really nice friends that we have met while cruising. Good Luck.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:54 PM
Admiral

You can have a table of any size you choose. I find that one can mingle as much or as little as one chooses.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:13 PM
cruisinKandJ

If your spouse is reluctant, you might want to book a table for two, just to ease him into the social scene a bit more easily.

J.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:18 PM
Admiral

..how about a table for 4? Still get to meet new people without having to deal with a lot of people at the table....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old February 2nd, 2004, 08:48 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

I agree, either a large table or table for 2. You will have fun getting to know everyone. belive me, it is some of the best memories I have.

Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:17 AM
pg,

Yes Kelli book either a large table or one for two. That works best, a table for 4 can be awkward.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:12 AM
Admiral

Kellee: Please don't let your hubby's shyness keep you from going on a cruise. I'm willing to bet he comes out of his shell once he is onboard. I would book a table for 8. As you said, if you don't click with one couple, there will be others. Have a great time.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Kellee - I too have a shy husband and had to ask another couple to join us on our first cruise just to get him to agree to come. All 4 of us enjoyed ourselves so much that we actually didn't see much of each other. Sometimes we ate together, other times not. Sometimes we did an excursion together, other times not. Having the other couple there acted as a safety net for him. And by the second day, he was having a blast - meeting people and enjoying himself immensely. For a guy who didn't want to go on a cruise in the first place "because there won't be anything to do" and "I can't just sit around the pool all day", on the final night he was ready to hide under the bed and do a "back to back". The first 10 days wasn't enough - he wanted another 10.

My advice? Go with the table for 8 or more.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Admiral

I am shy myself and was worried about dinners on the cruises before my first. Now we've been on five cruises. I've found two table situations that are ideal for me as an introvert: a table for two, or a table for eight.

At a table for two, it's just you and your spouse, and makes for a very romantic "reconnecting" vacation.

At a table for eight, there are four couples including yourselves, so there is bound to be at least one other couple that you "click" with, even if you're shy. Also, there are enough people at the table that no one is offended if you spend a moment just talking to your spouse.

Hope this helps. You can easily go see the maitre 'd on the day of boarding - where and when he will be available will be printed in your ship's newsletter in your cabin - and ask him about your dining arrangements. He should be happy to change them around if they're not to your liking.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old February 5th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

We love to meet new people on our cruises. I have found that a table for six works great for us. I feel lost at a large table. We have met many wonderful people by sharing a dinner table with them. Eating alone at breakfast of lunch is fine - don't need to socialize at every minute! Into my fourth cruise I realized that I don't really want to talk to anyone in the morning before I've had my coffee! Room service is great for me for breakfast. I think if I were given an assigned table with people I didn't click with, I'd ask to be moved. There are enough choices so you can find something that works for you re: dining.
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

My fiance is REALLY shy. If your husband goes on the cruise, he can pretty much keep to himself and you if he likes. As far as dinner, we had our own table because there were 12 in our party. If we had been with other people, he wouldn't have said much. Usually in social situations he lets me do the talking and only speaks when he is spoken to. He feels okay enough that way, .