Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Jane M

Default Christmas Cruise!

We have just returned from our 1st cruise - with RCI, it was wonderful. We are considering going on a Caribbean cruise which departs on Dec 24 for 12 nights. Can anybody give us any thoughts, we are mid 40's no children.

Jane from Ireland
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Christmas Cruise!

Hi Jane,

We've sailed on several Caribbean cruises in December and January, but never over the Christmas/New Year's holiday. You'll be sailing during the American school vacation period, which will likely mean you'll have lots of kiddies on your cruise. I just wanted to advise you of that likelihood. Forewarned is forearmed!

Jack

Post Edited (02-05-04 15:33)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old February 5th, 2004, 04:17 PM
cruisinKandJ

I agree about the kiddie situation. My first cruise was a Christmas one on Sitmar (now Princess). We never knew kkids were on board until they all got off the ship in St. Thomas to go to the beach.

Since then, I've been on ships crawling with poorly behaved little monsters. As one of my tablemates said on the Royal Princess on a formal night, "I didn't schlep a tux half way around the world only to be crashed into by brats who shouldn't be there in the first place." He was angry enough to write Princess. Don't know if he ever did.

I strongly suggest you give careful thought to a holiday cruise for the above reason. Guess it just depends on how patient you are.

J.
Old February 5th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Yeoman

Something else that is worth considering is if there is a port that you really want to shop at on Christmas Day, most stores will be closed. I know on a 12 day cruise there will be plenty of places you can shop, but if there is a particular Island that you want to do some shopping, make sure you are not on that Island Christmas. Otherwise it would be great to be on a ship over two holidays and what a way to start the new year!!

Luanne

Old February 5th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Jason H

We did a Christmas cruise once and had a wonderful time. We didn't have too many kids and we enjoyed the fesitve activities on the ship. We would definitely do it again.
Old February 5th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Can't speak for Christmas, but we did a New Years cruise last year, and it was the best New Years celebration EVER! Not too many kids, no problems really, but a great party.
Have fun!

donna

Old February 5th, 2004, 10:24 PM
cruisinKandJ

Yeah!. We did a New Years Cruise that was fantastico, exc ept for the damned formal wear. However, I have to say that the gowns and jewels were awesome, theirs, not mine,unfortunately..

J.
Old February 6th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Admiral

You'll also pay a premium for a Christmas cruise. The price is a lot cheaper a week or two before or after the holidays.

Regards,
Thomas (El Cheapo!)
Old February 6th, 2004, 10:10 AM
First Mate

Hi:
I've done a lot of New Years Eve cruises, but none for Christmas. The NY Eve cruises were the very best, but expensive. It's the only way I like to celebrate New Years. I wish I could go every year, but we go about every other year. We have one planned for this New Years Eve and I'm really looking forward to it. Some cruise lines do the NY Eve cruises better than others. We had a great time on RCCL, but on Carnival, they don't even give you free champagne at midnight. We're trying Princess this time. Not our first Princess cruise, but the first one for New Years. The only way I would do a Christmas cruise, is if my whole family was with me. Have fun.
Happy Cruising....Anita
Old February 6th, 2004, 02:35 PM
audrey

we have cruised two years in a row the month of Dec. The prices are lower and the ships are all decked out it was great. I don't think I would cruise over the holidays if I did not want to be around a lot of kids.