Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2004, 02:23 PM
salem5050

Default Need opinion on something...

Ok gona try to make this short and easy to understand.

Met people last year on cruise we live on opposite sides of the usa...we are cruising this year at same time but different ships....we email each other for a entire year since the last cruise and chat on line couple times a week. We have not seen each other since our last cruise a year ago. We have shared so much thru email , etc.....

She just told me we are going to be on the same island this time at same time, but she has plans to go to topless deck on her ship that day and will not get off the boat at GC, so probably will not meet me on GrandCayman....well I kinda sorta got mad at this and sent a email to her, pretty much saying she chose sun bathing over seeing me for at least a drink.

She said I was too touchy...about her choice of activities that day.... Just seeing her for half hour would have been great.

Was I being over sensitive? Be honest!
Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Cruisingrandma

Default Re: Need opinion on something...

No... I think she is being strange. I would love to get to go meet some friends we have met and have been emailing for a yr. She is being selfish about doing her own thing when and where she wants to do it. Maybe you arent as close as you thought you were. Sorry she isnt being cooperative with you. Happy cruising anyway....
Old February 7th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I would take a little time to see someone I have corresponded with for a year....she can do topless deck on any day of her cruise.

JMO,
J

Old February 7th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Yeoman

I guess I'm thinking if she plans to sunbathe all day? Surely in her day she can get off the ship. I realize in GC she will have to take the time to tender to and from but if she sunbathes while the majority of the people are doing their tendering and clearing the ship, then in 10-15 minutes during open tendering she can get there and see you. It sounds strange to me unless she has gained a lot of weight and doesn't want you to see her for some reason.

Luanne

Old February 7th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Completely agree with Grandma. I could POSSIBLY understand it if she had a "once in a lifetime" excursion planned - something she'd never be able to do/see again- but to sunbathe topless rather than meet you for even a quick visit seems selfish and shallow.

It seems especially silly at Grand Cayman since all tenders are in one area - she could get off her ship, tender in, have a drink, tender back and "lose" possibly an hour.

You are totally entitled to feel hurt - I would be. I would then probably cool the e-mails and chats. See if she contacts you after the cruise. Is there a chance her husband or someone else might change her mind? Not that it would erase the original rebuff. You certainly are not being overly sensitive.
Old February 7th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Admiral

This would appear to be a no-brainer, MM. You have been snubbed, and you should be upset. Apparently you've wasted a year's worth of emails staying in touch with this "friend". When sunbathing is more important than friendship, I would say that your pal has shown her true colors. Let's hope she gets a real bad sunburn and shows crimson as her true color....all over!<S>

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old February 7th, 2004, 04:48 PM
salem5050

Thank you all so much for your support, I was really thinking maybe I was just being childish to be hurt.

Well after a few emails back and forth that seem to get nasty on both our sides, she said she is done with the friendship, even after I said "hey lets have a cooling off period."

Oh well guess you all are right she is not the friend I thought she was.
On that same cruise we met a couple from canada, and this past sept. when we cruised on the Serenade to Canada they drove two hours to meet us at St. John, and have a drink for half hour, and these people I was not nearly as close to.

Canadians good people!! hahah

Right Kuki!!!

Mary Margaret
Old February 7th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Admiral

I agree with Jack, you have been snubbed, and it sounds like this "friendship" is better off lost.
And yes, we Canadians are good people! I'd drive 2 hours to meet you for a drink too!
donna

Post Edited (02-07-04 22:24)
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Admiral

I agree with the others, MM, you have been thrown under the bus. She has a higher priority to sunbathe topless than to compromise and do both. Let's hope it rains that day on her.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 7th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Mary Margaret,
I agree that you were not being too sensitive. But I also understand how much this must hurt. No matter how small a part this person played in your life, to be rebuffed like that is not pleasant. Tell you what, if we're ever in the same place at the same time, I'll meet you for a drink!

Old February 7th, 2004, 06:18 PM
salem5050

Thanks again!

haha I was hopeing for the Rain also!

Dezertcruzer...thanks for the offer!!!

Somone do a rain dance on Grand Cayman !!!

Ya know it does hurt though, cause we really had a good email relationship going, emails at least every day! I swear just when I think I have people figured out!

Like my wise old mom use to say......when the chips are down family will always be there for you thru thick and thin!!!

Mary Margaret

(looking for a new friend
Old February 7th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

My feelings would have been hurt too...Trip/Monday Chat Host
Old February 7th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

MM, The way i see it, she is the one who lost out. Don't feel sad, you have all of us and i am sure if you are ever in the area of one of us, we'll will be there to share some time with you. i know I would love to meet you all face to face one day. Now plan some tour for GC and enjoy yourself. Life is to short top sweat the small stuff, and she is very small.

Jeanne

Old February 7th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Yeoman

We met a couple on the Norway last May and hit it off really well. We played BINGO together all week and spent the day on the private island with them and they even wanted to go to LiBistro, the specialty restaurant on NCL ships with us one night. We thought we would become lifelong friends with them. They said if we ever made it to CA they would love to have us stay with them. When the last dinner on board came, they told us that they had unintentionally deleted a bunch of pictures on their digital camera, so when we got home I took the time to scan a bunch of pictures that we were together and some of the ship and emailed them. We never got so much as an email thank you for taking the time to do that so I just told my husband that maybe they didn't lilke us as much as we thought but they always asked to join us on ship activities. So I know we weren't being pushy. Well, lo and behold finally, after the new year we got an email from them saying that her husband had some t-shirts from some fire depts that the guys had planned to exchange. She said she was embarrassed and lost our mailing address to mail the shirts. She still had our email and I was hurt that they never emailed the words "Thank you" when they received the pictures but we found out that they were true to their words at least about the shirts so I understand how hurt MM must be. But I guess some people just don't care if they hurt people.

Luanne

Old February 7th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Need opinion on something...

MM, maybe I can meet you in Grand Cayman for a drink? Hmmm, that's a possibility that's more appealing than driving 2 hours from Montreal!
Chin up, you've still got all your CM pals who will be faitful to you!

donna

Old February 7th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Salem,

Neither a friend or an acquaintance. May this individual get rained on but if the sun is shining, may she burn to a crisp, and lose the towel also ..

Old February 8th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Admiral

Mary Margaret: I'm sorry you had to endure this. It isn't pleasant at all. But, as you know, you still have the rest of us. Heck, Tweety and I have driven to Baltimore and flown to Ft. Lauderdale to see CM's. In April, I'm driving to Michigan to see a couple we cruised with last year. I'm sorry this friendship didn't work out. It is very sad.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:55 AM
salem5050

Thank you Mary Lou, I appreciate all your kind thoughts.

Thats how I kinda judged this thing on how all the cruisemates gather to meet people and come from far places.

I was privlidged to attend one such meeting, and was surprised how you all came from Pittsburg, Ny...etc....

Thats awesome!

Next cruise I take will be a cruisemates one for sure!!!

Mary Margaret
Old February 8th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Admiral

She has bared her breast and revealed her prioritites. Send her a rapsberry to go with her melons. If she'd rather sunbathe than enjoy the company of a CM, she's not worth the worry.

Yes, I'm very chauvinistic--in its original sense--about CMs over mere passengers.

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Old February 8th, 2004, 03:53 PM
salem5050

Thank you soooo much Steve..ahahah I loved it so much I have what you said as my away message on aim...

Mary Margaret
Old February 8th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Admiral

She's not a friend you want with that attitude.

Poo on her. Hope she gets sunburned on her..........

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old February 9th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Sorry to hear you were snubbed, MM! This person is not worthy of your friendship. She sounds very selfish and you are better off not knowing her.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old February 9th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Admiral

Mary Margaret,
Friends can be made by many acts, and can be lost by just one. Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it's all over. Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!