Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:15 PM
cruisingKandJ

Default Are You Well Traveled?

An educational moment: the seven continents of the world are: North America, South America, Asia, Africa, Antartica, Australia (also known as Oceania), and Euorpe.

This question may be a real challenge to Ray and Helen, but for the rest of us: Hav e you been to at least three of the seven continents? Does being well traveled constituite only land trips, or land trips and cruises (I need to ask, on this site?!!). To be well traveled, would you settle for just another one or more countries to make your travel life more satisfactory? NOT!

Please, respond.

J.
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Pea

Default Re: Are You Well Traveled?

The US teaches there are 7 continents. Many other countries teach there are 5, as they count the Americas as one and don't count Antartica.

Whichever way it is, I have sadly only been on one continent. Perhaps, if our Golden cruise makes it to Caracas (which I doubt), two. I think flying all the way to Hawaii outta count for something, but I guess it doesn't.

Pea
Old February 13th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks

I don´t consider myelf well traveled. If "tourist" was on one end of the scale and "traveler" on the other, I´d have to be honest and place myself closer to the tourist end.

For me, it depends on how much time I invest in preparing for a trip. For a few years we did long weekend city trips. The year we went to Barcelona, I did my homework and that paid off. The following year we went to Lisbon with just a week´s notice and couldn´t really prepare. There was a big difference in the quality of the two trips.

You´d think living in Europe that I would have travelled far more. Far from the truth! It seems when we´ve had vacation, then we´ve wanted peace and quiet and not racing from site to site and snapping photos.

Back to the original question...nope, haven´t been to three continents. Once on Gibraltar I could clearly see Morocco. Atleast I´ve seen three! Guess that doesn´t count, huh?

Looks like we´ll be heading to South America next year on our cruise. It will be like sampling from a huge buffet!

karen
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisenut1

We too are in the tourist ranks, but hope to see much more of the world in years to come.
Mike, I am with you, cruising is my passion, but to really SEE a country, you need to spend some time there. Hope to do that in Italy in a couple of years. Spent a year in Germany many moons ago, and learned much about the German people.
Went to Prague and Budapest several years ago, and would love to go back there, the people were delightful.
Going to Cancun in October for 10 days, to just veg. and enjoy the sunshine and the people, not long, but will still enjoy it.

Monarch of the Seas
Carnival Elation
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=04&year=2009&day=26&hour=16:00[/img] Carnival Splendor
Old February 13th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Just a short resume for Ray and Helen.

We have Visited 6 continents and 121 countries, We have flown over the Antartica but never set foot on the ice. UG too cold.

We have made extinsive travels in all the 6 continents on tours and private excursions. Cruises are our favorites but land tours give you more oppertunity to see the country.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old February 13th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Admiral

My idea of being well traveled is to do more than just stop in a port for six hours. You cannot really get the true feeling of a country, city, continent or port in six hours. When I travel I love to get away from the "tourist" areas in order to get a more real feel of the country.

I totally agree with this.

Whether I have been to two or three continents depends on whether you count Central America as part of North or South America.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old February 13th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Admiral

I've only been on 2 continents, well............................3, if you count Texas.

Regards,
Thomas
Old February 13th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to SAndrea91483

, I've never even left North America. (Hey, are the Bahamas and Cayman Islands considered part of North America?) Anyway, other than those two I have also been to Mexico and Canada as far as foreign countries are concerned. Would love to go to Europe one of these days. My fiance and I were thinking about a European honeymoon at one point but I don't think there's any way we could pull it off, .

Old February 13th, 2004, 02:33 PM
First Mate

3 continents
I think land travel is an essential component to consider oneself well travelled. Land travelling is more immersive than cruising (which is pleasant in itself but to my mind only gives one little tastes of other countries). However having just said that, I must add that staying exclusively at AIs without leaving the grounds also does not give one much experience with a country.
I have: cruised, stayed at AIs, travelled about staying at youth hostels and B&Bs and small local hotels, and lived and worked in Europe for a summer. All experiences were fun in their own way.
Do I consider myself well-travelled - not especially - I have friends who have been on 4 and 5 continents and lived and worked in other countries for years. They are well-travelled.
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Admiral

4 of 7 here but have been really close to Antarctica on S.A. cruise.

Asia, Europe, N.A., S.A.,