Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Beginner

Default What's required to bring another person's child along on a c

Can anyone tell me what's required to bring another person's child along on a cruise?

We'd like to take a cruise on Carnival departing July 5th out of Miami that will visit ports in the Keys and in Cozumel MX with our five children ages 15, 11, 11, 9, and 5. And my oldest daughter would like bring along her best friend who's 14. Her family has agreed to the cruise.

Now for the questions -- do we need a signed consent? Perhaps a hand-written note? Do we need to have something notarized? A form that a cruise line provides?

I realize that she will need her birth certificate but will she need a passport because of the Mexico locality?

Am I going to be given any problems boarding the plane / cruise lines for having someone elses child (given that "child stealer" look)..?

Any information that you can provide will be appreciated. Thank you ~ Angela
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What's required to bring another person's child along on

I'm not a staffer, but I think the best place to start would be to call CCL's Guest Relations department. I'm sure your situation is not unique. They will have your answers.

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Old February 13th, 2004, 07:07 AM
Admiral

At the very minimum, you will need a notarized statement from the parents (signed by both) stating that Missy Smith has permission to travel with Jane Doe and John Doe, from date 1 through date 2, to locations x, y & z. There also needs to be a statement giving you permission to obtain medical treatment for her should it become necessary. Birth certificates still seem to be acceptable for most cruises, but the smart thing to do is for ALL members of your party to have passports. The passport vs. birth certificate question should definitely be addressed to Carnival, but ask them to fax you or e-mail you with their answer so that you have it in writing. It seems that you can get as many different answers as you get representatives on the phone.

Old February 13th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Admiral

We did a similar thing last year, taking my son's best friend along with us on a Carnival cruise. Carnival had no problem with the arrangement; it was the airport security and immigration that I worried about (we're from Canada). We had the boy's passport, and a notarized letter from his parents giving us permission to take him out of the country. The letter was notarized conveniently by our travel agent. The documents were scrutinized, but we had no problems whatsoever. Enjoy your cruise, and I guarantee your teen will have a much happier time with her best friend along!

donna

Old February 13th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Jennifer has the correct information. You need the notorized letters with all the specifics signed by everyone and her birth certificate.
Jim

Old February 13th, 2004, 11:53 AM
MichelleM

You should have a copy of the child's health insurance card too, just in case so you have the correct numbers and whatever if you need to seek medical attention for her.