CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Your favorite NA sites. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/267231-your-favorite-na-sites.html)

Thomas February 13th, 2004 12:08 PM

Your favorite NA sites.

I'm interested in hearing what sights in North America you have visited which you would recommend to others.

Mine:

Grand Tetons
Florida Beaches
Smoky Mountains N.C.
Black Hills National Forest
Grand Canyon
St. Louis Arch

Regards,
Thomas

Set2cruz February 13th, 2004 12:26 PM

Re: Your favorite NA sites.

Mackinac Island, Mi
Lookout Mt, Tn
Lake in the Ozarks, Mo
House on the Rock, Wi
Sears Tower, Chicago
Any North American shoreline as seen from a cruise ship. {{wink}}

Edited for spelling Mackinaw is something you wear Mackinac is
something you see. {{grin}}

Post Edited (02-13-04 12:44)

Jason February 13th, 2004 01:16 PM

Las Vegas
Mount Shasta Calif. (We have a cabin there)
Lake Tahoe
Pacific Highway Calif.
Port of Miami or Port Everglades at sunrise with all the ships docked.

Lisa February 13th, 2004 01:19 PM

Door County, Wisconsin
Lake Superior shore line
The San Juan Islands of Washington
The Olympic Mountains of Washington
The National Mall in Washington DC
Arlington National Cemetery
The Alamo and the Riverwalk in San Antonio, TX
Volcanos National Park, Hawaii
Misty Fjords National Monument, Alaska
Glacier Bay, Alaska
College Fjord, Alaska
Prince William Sound, Alaska
Mackinac Island, MI

Post Edited (02-13-04 12:21)

Angela Z. February 13th, 2004 04:47 PM

Mesa Verde
Niagara Falls
Grand Canyon
Four Corners (kind of underwhelming once you finally get there but the kids got a big kick out of standing in four states at one time)
Meteor Crater

Angela Z.

MichelleP February 13th, 2004 06:19 PM

Angela, I am not a kid anymore but I sure got a thrill from standing in four states at once! That has been on my list of "things to do before I die" for a long time and I'm glad I was able to do it.

Haven't been as well-traveled around the US as I would like, but of what I've seen, I'd say:

Grand Canyon
Mesa Verde
Silverton, CO
Bryce Canyon N.P.
Arches N.P.
Zion N.P.
San Antonio missions
Texas Hill Country
Washington D.C. monuments
Florida Keys and Key West
St. Augustine, FL
Smokey Mountains and Blue Ridge Parkway

Cheers,
Michelle P.

moai February 13th, 2004 07:36 PM

Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, ME

Dorothy February 13th, 2004 07:45 PM

Blue Ridge, Georgia
Camp Rainey Mountain, Georgia (it's a boy scout camp nestled in the N. Ga. mtns.)
St. George Island, Florida
Key West, Florida (27 years ago when *I* was there and it wasn't a tourist spot!)
Cohutta Wilderness (Georgia)

And I suspect I'll be adding Estes Park (in the Rocky Mtn National Park) when I visit in 3 weeks, as well as other Colorado spots!

dorothy

Gatormama February 13th, 2004 08:02 PM

Ok gang,
Here's our list:
Mom: The top of Lookout Mt in Georgia, also Niagra Falls, standing on the top of Stratton Mt after a major powder snowfall
Dad: Mt Mansfield in Vt.
Jamie: Niagra Falls
Peter:Niagra Falls
Ok here's our list of others, Favorite Beach; Johnson Beach, Pensacola Fl Favorite Mts: The Green Mts of Vermont followed by the view of Red Rock Canyon in Nevada. Favorite City: Jamie likes NY the best, Mom likes Chicago and Dad likes Boston. Pete is a DC fan. St Louis has alot going for it but the kids were not impressed with the Arch. Ok, big deal. Liked Hoover Dam better. Favorite river to cruise on; the Tennasee
We have covered most of the eastern third of the US and can't wait to see Alaska. Favorite lake: Mom; Lake Michigan Dad; Lake Champlain Jamie; Lake Okachobee, Pete, Lake Eire Ok, we are a diverse family. Angela and Michelle, I love the view from 4 corners also.
Anne.

Mark&Deb February 13th, 2004 10:33 PM

The top of the Twin Towers if it was still standing: will never forget it!
Angel Falls Zion National Park
Pike's Peak
Grand Canyon
Bryce Canyon
Mt. Rushmore of course
Statue of Liberty
The Rocky Mountains in Colorado
The redwood forests in California

Mark&Deb

mibrown12 February 13th, 2004 10:35 PM

One of my favorite places to go is Cape Cod, MA. I am a beach girl and it always amazes me to see the different tides. (For some reason (?if anyone can help me know why?) The difference between high tide and low tide can be a football field or longer. Its amazing to walk out on the beach one hour and have to walk 10 feet to the water then hours later walk out and it seems like a mile.)

Michele

dezertcruzer February 13th, 2004 11:35 PM

I am truly surprised, as a late arrival to this thread, to read how many of you posted a place that immediately came to my mind as well - Mesa Verde. I went there first when I was 9 years old, and I remained fascinated with it all my life. Since I live in the southwest, I have been lucky enough to go there quite a few times, and I never tire of imagining the original residents there, making their lives function through their ingenuity. Quite a fascinating place.

My second favorite is the Grand Canyon. Every time you go there it looks different, due to the way the light hits it. Growing up only 90 miles away, we went several times a year. As a teenager, I hiked to the bottom several times, camping out under the stars at either Indian Gardens or Phantom Ranch.

Another place that really impressed me with its beauty, and I've only been there once, was the Wisconsin Dells.

I was 14 years old before I first saw the ocean, and that awesome sight, at Morro Bay California, stays with me still.

Other favorites are:
San Francisco, CA
Flagstaff, AZ
Rocky Mtn National Park, CO
Ozarks area of Missouri

Lisa February 14th, 2004 12:13 AM

Jennifer - I was going to say the Wisconsin Dells, but only for the beauty of the river itself.....the town has become a tourist he**, but the Upper and Lower Dells are still absolute wonders of nature.

BobbieE February 14th, 2004 11:48 AM

Kennebunkport, Maine
Acadia National Park
Cape Cod
Maine, NH, Mass beaches - I love most of them
Nova Scotia

Bobbie

susancruzs February 15th, 2004 10:17 AM

Boy, I agree with Jennifer and Lisa! Lisa, I went back to the dells last summer after not being there for at least 20 years and I was amazed! I used to love it and went on a regular basis, I was shocked!!!

I love the Great Lakes, driving along the shore lines of Lake Superior or Lake Michigan, such diversity, from flat sand beaches, to very rugged, huge rocky shorelines, then to towering sand dunes, absolutely amazing and all those lighthouses!!! You cannot beat the whistling sounds the pine trees make and the clean smell of the forests.

As much as I've enjoyed seeing many, many places in the US, I love the Great Lakes, the big bridge, the Soo Locks, Door County, Copper Harbor! I was amzed when I was in Maine, how much I liked Acadia and realized it's because Michigan's UP is very similar. Maine is some place I could visit again and again!

Susie

Travelnut February 16th, 2004 09:47 AM

Sleeping Bear sand dunes on Lake Michigan
Lake Superior shoreline
Outer Banks of North Carolina at sunrise.
Skyline Drive
Shenandoah Valley at sunset

Chuck Palm February 18th, 2004 07:33 PM

Copper Canyon
Puerto Vallarta and surrounding area
Guadalajara