Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2004, 04:18 PM
First Mate

Default ADVANTAGES TO BOOKING WHILE ON SHIP?

Hi:
I need some help on this one. I've got an Alaska cruise booked for this summer on the Island Princess, but there is also a New Years Eve cruise I would like to book, also on Princess. I've never booked a cruise while on a cruise but I've heard that the deposit is less and you might get a better price. Does anyone know if this is true? What experiences have you had in this area. If this has been covered before, I apologize.
Thanks in advance.
Happy Cruising.......Anita
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: ADVANTAGES TO BOOKING WHILE ON SHIP?

I booked RCI Brilliance for 1/15/04 while onboard Celebrity Costellation last year and received an onboard credit for Brilliance. Got home transferred the booking to a TA. I then had a problem and wasn't going to be able to do Brilliance in January so transferred the booking not only to a different ship at a later date, but to a different TA and still have my onboard credit. I'm now a firm believer in booking while onboard if there is a cruise I'm thinking of doing that is on a ship under the same umbrella.

Go for it. The savings isn't huge but anything in my pocket instead of someone else's is a good thing in my book.

Carnival Glory
Old February 13th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I'm here, Mike!

Buddy - there are many advantages of booking a future cruise while on board Princess. For one, the deposit is only $100 per person. Second, you will receive an onboard credit for the booked cruise, to be used on the future cruise (amount of which depends on what stateroom and the length of the cruise you book.)

But the best thing about this is you can do what is called an OPEN BOOKING.....you put your money down but DON'T specify which ship or itinerary you are going to take. They give you a booking number. You are then free to find the cruise and price you want, transfer that open booking number to the TA of your choice. What is really great is that the on board credit you get with booking on board is combinable with any other incentives your TA can give! So, you can get the Princess on board credit, the best price from the TA of your choice AND any incentives the TA may offer!

I used the open booking I made on the Island Princess to book the Dawn Princess this July (I am booked in a group and am receiving their bennies along with the onboard credit I get for making the onboard booking.) I will book at least one more open booking on the Dawn Princess for the future! It really is worth it!

Old February 13th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Admiral

I got two future bookings at $100 each while on the Island Princess. Each booking has a separate number. I immediately used the first one (while on board) for the Sun Princess this April and gave them my travel agent's info. They faxed it to her. Then she gave me an added discount plus a credit on board. I will get $100 credit on board from Princess because of the cabin I booked ... it can amount to anything from $25 to $150 depending on cabin and length of trip.

I had priced the cabins with my travel agent for the April trip before I left home and was pleasantly surprised when the price was lower while on board ... and lower still when I contacted my TA.

Another benefit of doing this is that you don't have to pay for the balance of the trip until 75 days out so rather than Princess having your larger deposit ($450 or so), they only have $100. And, the $100 is refundable should you decide you don't want to use it.

My second deposit will be a for a future cruise and is good for 4 years - as are all of them. Right now I'm planning on booking for a late October cruise and will again get a future booking ... in this way, I can always book a last minute cruise and get the on board credit of $100.

If you have a favorite TA, be sure and get their correct info to be able to give to the Future Cruise person. If you don't tell them, they probably will give credit to your present TA and it will require a letter to Princess telling them you want to use this new TA.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old February 13th, 2004, 07:28 PM
SarahJ

Princess is handling open bookings differently now. They are put towards your Captain Circle number so it doesn't matter if you switch travel agents. It is your CC# that now has the open booking.
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:15 PM
shipbound

Some times you can get unbeliveable deals, several years ago while on a CCL cruise in October if you booked while on that sailing you could go the same week but the next year for $399.00 for a week cruise on any carnival ship. I believe that included port costs and taxes. I would look into it.

Gary
Old February 17th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

What length of cruise were you able to get for $100? Was that for each person?

I am cruising with Celebrity in May but would like to book a RCI cruise while on board. I called and asked Celebrity about this yesterday and they told me it would still be $250 a person and I had to pick my ship and date at the time of booking.

Could things be different once you acually get on board of does Celebrity work differently?

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005