Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default If you build it...they will come !

Well, another thing that I just found to make me grin is reruns of Miami Vice..I can almost say line for line from this show...in its heyday, with then reruns, I could watch it 3 times a day......Since I adore architecture, and art deco,South Beach called my name.....I was fortunate in the mid 80's, before it became *THE* place to be, to see these hotels, these gems, waiting to be restored...We toured the apartment building that became the addition of Gianni Vercace's home..the archway around his door, was the archway into the apartment courtyard...That place in the 50's must have been hoppin. Also. from Miami Vice, was the then, Suntrust Tower, I believe..that lit up wedding cake of a building which I loved...The firest time down there, not knowing where in the heck we were going..like a beacon, we ended up right there....I still have great shots of it...The Arquiteconica building on Brickel Ave..The one with the hole in it, is another fave..although we couldn't seem to get there... I collect old postcards of the Miami Beach Hotels...some were so fabulous..they also had hotels all along the ocean side as well....The rates were like $25.00 a month.....oy vey....Sooooo, do you have a favorite piece of architecture somewhere that you love...A part of your city thats amazing?
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2004, 05:36 PM
susancruzs

Default Re: If you build it...they will come !

Hmm, I never tire of riding through St. Mary's of the Lake Seminary in Mundelein, does not quite look like it did in its hey day but I still love looking at the old buildings, very old stone bridges, and wonder what it must have been to build all of it in those days.

Alot of people I know have lived right near by for years and never taken the time to drive through the grounds, which covers a big area.

Also, will look in my post card collection (thousands) to see what I have of Miami, and if I have any old hotels. I have some old views because I told everyone at VW if they didn't want cards to give them to me. I was amazed at what people gave me!

I have some great ones of Hawaii before the hotel craze, with the old Royal Hawaiin hotel and nothing else around it!

Susie
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:53 PM
cruisinKandJ

I like the Oviatt Building in downtown Los Angeles.
Could go on forever about the many outstanding buildings in London.
Never been to Paris, but I'm sure that are places there to crow about.

J.
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Admiral

The finest piece of architecture anywhere is Mrs. Thomas. God was really on his game that day in 1953..............oops, 1954 I mean!

Regards,
Thomas