Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Hello Quebec'ers

Donna, and anyone else in the Quebec area...I was going through some of my Mother's old papers, and was wondering if these places are near you..She was born in the Gaspe Peninsula, so I'm not sure if these places are in that area...Everything is in French of course...ST Charles de Caplan PQ.. CTE Bonaventure Pq..St Roch des Aulnaus??..Family names are Chretien, Berube.Bugeaud??... Just doing a bit of amateur geneology sleuthing.
Any of these towns or cities ring a bell..Thanks for any info...Trip.Monday Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Hello Quebec'ers

Hi Trip,
I live in Montreal, been to Gaspe Peninsula once. I don't remember any of those place names, but it is a big place, and they are definitely small towns or villages, most people there speak very little English. Very picturesque rural area. Gaspe is a good full day's drive to the East, maybe a bit more, from Montreal. Many Quebecers spend the summer in the Gaspe, lots of resorts and inns operating seasonally there. The peninsula proper is roughly 120 miles long by 80 miles wide, so its quite a large area, mostly parkland in the interior, most towns being on the coast. If you need help in translation, let me know.

To answer your specific question, St. Charles de Caplan does not appear on my map, but I see towns called Caplan, and St. Alphonse de Caplan on the south shore of the peninsula, so I guess it's in that area. Definitely in Bonaventure County. Nearest town of note that might appear on a larger-scale map is New Carlisle. The area is across Baie De Chaleur from Campbellton, New Brunswick.
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Trip, sounds like Cruise Cynic knows the Gaspe alot better than me. Never been there, but know a few people who come from there, one family name: Willett. As for the other family names you mentioned, Chretien was our former Prime Minister, and I also knew a Berube.(sorry, can't figure out how to do accents on my computer!) Never heard of any of the other places you mentioned, but then I was born and raised in Montreal and never travelled much - until I discovered cruising of course!
BTW Cruise Cynic, where in Montreal do you live? I am in the West Island.

donna

Old February 20th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Admiral

RD > We live in Ville St. Laurent right now, but are moving to Laval/Ste. Dorothee this summer when our house is built. I grew up in the Westpark area of DDO, and went to RHS. You sound like you are either in Pierrefonds or Roxboro, BTW.
Old February 20th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Admiral

My husband is of French-Canadian heritage. His family is all from the Trois-Rivieres area. Although his grandparents emigrated to Rhode Island before his dad was born, his dad attended French schools and spoke only French until he was 12.

Someday I would love to go up there and visit.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old February 20th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Thanks so much for your response guys...The paperwork I have for her is a birth certificate stating that she was born in St -Charles de Caplan, that has a raised seal, that says..Diocese de Rimouski, aside from St Charles..I also have my Memere's baptismal paper, dated 1886, stating her birth, in the same town..Donna, I know that Chretien must be a popular name there, and I always wondered if we may have been related to trhe Prime minister..I wonder if this town was swallowed up by another over the years....The family moved to Jaffrey N.H..which has a large French Canadian, population..My cousin had a geneoligist do her family tree..she sent a copy, highlighted with all the family members we shared..it went back to Lyon France, 1750..and the names wers fabulous..they all sounded like they were taken from a romance novel..romantic and beautiful...My grandfather was Naploeon, and my mother was Lucienne...a name which I loved......thanks so much...Trip
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Trip, my paternal grandfather, the only one in the family to speak French, was named Rodolphe (like the reindeer!).
Cruise Cynic, believe it or not, I live in Roxboro, how did you guess? And would you believe, I went to RHS too, and so do my kids!! Small world! Maybe we know each other, I had friends in the Westpark area!

donna

Old February 20th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Rollerdonna> One word> Yikes.