Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Default Blue Butterfly

I've got to tell you about the great exhibition I saw today! At Montreal's Botanical Gardens there is a "Butterflies are Free" exhibit, where amongst the tropical plants and flowering blooms, thousands of beautiful butterflies fly free! It is quite an incredible sight! Not only that, the temperatures inside were a balmy 23C (73F), the earth smelled damp and earthy, the air was humid, the colours of the flowers were gorgeous, only surpassed by the spectacular colours of the butterflies! Especially the Blue Morpheus, which is the subject of the new movie out starring William Hurt. The movie is a true story based on the curator at our Botanical Garden's Insectarium, about how he helps a cancer-ridden young boy with his dying wish of going to Costa Rica to see the Blue Morpheus butterfly, supposedly, it has healing powers. Apparently, after he saw this butterfly, he was cured. Incredible story, but nevertheless, I had a wonderfully pleasant experience today, at least for an hour or so, pretending I was in a tropical rainforest in Costa Rica! (There had to be a cruise-tie-in somewhere of course!)

donna

Old February 27th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Blue Butterfly

I saw thousands of the Blue Morpheus butterflies in Costa Rica while on a cruise and they are magnificent. I even have one specimen in my bathroom butterfly collection. They are amazing creatures.
Old February 27th, 2004, 09:03 PM
cruisinKandJ

What an interesting day . . . blue butterflies and 40 4-yr.-olds!.

J.
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:24 AM
VTJen

Roller Donna a few years back I was a parent chaperon for a field trip. My daughter was part of a small group of kids excellerated (7) in her grade. We drove them to Montreal and enjoyed the day visiting the Biodome and the Botanical Gardens and Insecterium. What a wonderful day it was. It was in May and the flower beds were just coming alive with all the tulips. I have always wanted to go back. The day ended on a sour note though. We had parked in the Parking Garage at the Biodome - bottom floor, very close to the entrance booth (which was manned). Upon return to the car the window in the sliding door of my van was broken and everything was taken. The Montreal police were very, very nice and helpful. I had to drive all the way home without the window. Of Course we hit the Champlain Bridge at rush hour, taking over an hour to get across. At that time the city was having an unusual infestation of moth-like flies, which of course filled up the van. We couldn't drive overly fast on the way home - not over 50 mph.

I do hope to go back one day. I'd love to see the Butterflies.
I'm a chicken when it comes to city driving - being from rural Vermont Montreal driving is just a bit too fast paced for me, plus, my French is so rusty. By the time my brain has processed the signs I've past my turn.
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Our local conservatory has a "Butterlfy garden." It's nice to visit there in the middle of winter.

One of me favorite first cruise memories was last year in Cozumel. The fantail of the ship was buzzed by butterflies and a dragonfly , or two. What a relief from February in the North!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

I saw the Blue butterfly in theatres and it was absolutely incredible. A must see for eveyone- I live in Montreal so now I want to got to the insectarium to check the Blue Morpheus out!
Old February 28th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Admiral

electra, the (live) butterflies are right in the Botanical Gardens. The Insectarium, next door, has all the dead varieties!

donna

Old February 28th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Yes, indeed. Beware of the Shadfly (Mayfly) invasion in late May. For one or two days they manifest themselves something fierce near the water.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old February 28th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Cruise Cynic - i haven't seen Calvin in a long time, since they took him out of the Gazette! Thanks for that gif - I loved Calvin and Hobbes!

donna

Old February 28th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Admiral

I liked Bloom County better, but no animated GIFs to be found, besides Opus.

Come back, Berkeley Breathed, we miss you!!!!!

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old February 29th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks rollerdonna- live btuterflies sound way nicer to look at!