Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:15 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Wedding Announcement

Mindy,
IMHO this post is for "Congratulating" the newlyweds. It doesn't matter if you are straight or gay.

While you did put your views across politely (Of which you are of course entitled to) I believe we should leave the arguements for a later date. Again, let's stick to the topic at hand, which is Chuck's announcement. This is not a political message board. Happy sailing everyone!

richard

Old March 8th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks
Default Re: Wedding Announcement

Congratulations! You both deserve it! I hope you two have a lifetime of happiness!

karen

Old March 8th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Congratulations Chuck and David! Best wishes!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old March 8th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Admiral

My best wishes to you both----
Sorry I didnt respond sooner-- but reading this made my day
Cheers to you --- now book a cruise ----I will make a special toast to you tonight--
Thanks for sharing your good news
April
Old March 8th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Brian Horton

Congratulations, Chuck!

Your wedding was certainly a bargain compared to ours. Jose and I got married in Windsor, Ontario (hurray for the Canadians) last summer. The license was $120 and since our daughters were witnesses, we had to at least take them out to lunch afterwards which was another $75.

We had a grand reception a couple months later so our families, friends, co-workers and neighbors could celebrate with us. It will really hit you then. You'll realize all those people are behind you and your relationship. Then again, maybe they just came for the free food and liquor.

Anyway, best of luck to you both.

Brian
Jacksonville FL

img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=03&year=2004&day=12&hour=14:30[/img]
Celebrity Horizon 03/12/04

Celebrity Mercury 06/04/04

Costa Classica 11/20/04

QM2 05/22/05
Old March 8th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Dear Mindy,

I suppose you think that Britney Spears' 48 hour wedding should have legal standing and mine shouldn't. I don't have the same political beliefs as do you, nor can I say that I share your religion therefore I will express my opinion on the marriage subject:

First of all when you make reference to the bible, you are forgetting that the vast majority of people in the world do not use the bible in their religious and/or spiritual beliefs.

Marriage is really a two pronged contract. There is a spiritual contract which is between the two private parties and their faith, spirit, soul, and or religion. That part of a marriage is no one else's business. I.M.H.O.

The other part of marriage is a legal contract that deals with the legal, economic, and political rights and responsibilities of marriage. This is the only part that the government should be involved with because our country is based on a strong tradition of religious freedoms. Many religions do condone same sex marriage. If the government chooses to not recognize such contracts, it automatically puts one religion over another in the eyes of the law. I would not wish to restrict your basic civil rights under the law because of your religious beliefs,so please don't try to restrict mine.

You are correct on one point, all marriage certificates are ONLY a piece of paper, but these documents do convey rights and responsibilities that all tax-paying citizens should be allowed under the law. Equality is a big word that I for one hold sacred for all people. Sometimes we forget it wasn't long ago that religion was used to restrict the civil rights of blind and handicapped people, women, and people of color.

As for kissing in public, I think that David and I have done an excellent job of keeping our demonstrations of affection private. I must admit that we did kiss at our private wedding to which you were not invited.

However I must say that many men I know, straight and gay, do hug one another and give little peck like kisses on the cheeks. This is a very common practice throughout the world. If this is offensive to you, I'm quite sorry for you because it is a clear symbol of respect and a close and caring friendship.

P.S. When David and I lived on five acres in the country we had two darling boy goats. (Actually they were neutered because we used them as brush goats. We didn't want any offspring and neutering can mellow out their personalities a bit when having goats as pets.) Their names were Adam and Steve. This was our silly way of poking fun at narrow minded judgemental people who try to speak for god by quoting very narrow passages from the bible that are largely out of context. In my mind they (Adam and Steve) were creatures of god as are all of us expressing our opinions on this forum.

Post Edited (03-08-04 19:08)
Old March 8th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Passenger

Chuck, I would like to wish all the best to you and David. Finding your soulmate is a beautiful thing. Any two people with the love and commitment to stay together deserve much happiness, as well as recognition and respect from church and state.

May you have 20 more years and 20 more after that all in health and joy.

Mary
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Wedding Announcement

Chuck, very well-argued and eloquently put. You should have been a statesman.

Cheers (and congrats again),
Michelle P.

Old March 8th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Admiral

Thanks Ladies!
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:21 AM
Admiral

Actually this message is from the mysterious "David."

Firstly I'd like to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and well wishes. They mean so much to Chuck and I. You are so kind.

I have just a little comment to Mindy and that is it may be just a "certificate" to you but it's been 20 years in the waiting for me and I don't intend to make it just a "piece of paper." It's been a very long time coming and we'll enjoy every moment we can, even if it's only for a short time. Thanks!

Post Edited (03-08-04 23:23)
Old March 10th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Williamena

Actually guys answering mindless Minny is not worth wasting your typing fingers.
May you have a full life of health and happiness and may the wind always be at your backs. Just know that people, albeit strangers are happy for you and wishing you all the best. Wilma from Beautiful B.C.
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Shame on you all for condemning for having an opinion. First of all, please allow me introduce myself, My name is Mindy (not Minnny), I am not a naive teenager, actually I am a mature adult, and I am not "mindless" as others have branded me, thanks Willamena. Are you going to honestly tell me that you have never had an opinion whether it be wrong or not? Are you not being hypocritical?

Chuck...There is no need what so ever to explain yourself to me, actually I am appalled not at you in this matter, but those who were so fast to judge me merely because of my beliefs. Now, I must admit perhaps I was wrong by posting that, but it angers me that I feel that gay people announce being gay to everyone, I don't announce that I am straight and married. Yes, I wear a band on finger...but I don't post different colored flags outside my house or on my car. I don't believe that a cruise message board was a place for this, we are here to discuss cruises. I feel that if you have announcement to make, you can e-mail just as easily. And as for the Brittney Spear incident, she is just young and naive...what she did is wrong and that is why most young people now get divorced, because they are young and naive and don't know any better. I have a lot of respect for the fact that you can have had a dedicated relationship for so long, I am not preaching against that...Chuck, I am wrong by having an opinion? I am being wrong by stating my beliefs?

I ask you not to be ignorant to me, by no means did I ask for this...if you support gay marriages that is your opinion I will respect that, however, it will not change my beliefs or the way I feel about posting this on a cruise web site. My "mindless" comments, so to speak, were actually quite intelligent, perhaps I should have worded it differently, but Willimena, I did not deserve those comments. I just feel like I am in a chat room with a whole bunch of teenagers, those who judge me and treat me differently because I have beliefs. I would hope that no one would feel inclined to "down" me any longer for feeling the way I do. I just don't think you would enjoy hearing me tell you on a cruise board that I had hot flashes today.
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Mindy, Others announce their anniversaries, weddings, child birth, and other life events on this forum. Is that only NOT okay if you're gay or lesbian? I am truly sorry that you are offended and hope that some day you will have a gay close friend or family member so that you will more closely understand my thoughts and feelings. It is very hard and often wrong to judge when you have not had similar life experiences.