Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Default "Purchase Delicious Food" -- United

If anyone's not on their "news" list, it is very strange. There will be NO complimentary meals on flights that offer this terrific service for as little as $7, payable by cash or credit card.

The flights are 2.5 hours or longer. Airline food is always a good way to start a vacation diet but I have visions of "We are all out of the TGIF meals, but we still have Benigan's available."

I would love to see the financials on this one.
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re:

I know what you mean! Was recently on a Northwest flight and I was hungry so I had one of the purchased meals.....really screwed up and had no breakfast that day........the meal was better than regular airline food, but I still don't think it was way better!

I can see the fights breaking out if one meal is gone and only the other is available.......any sky marshalls on board?

Old March 13th, 2004, 07:29 AM
susancruzs

Default Re:

I ran into this on American, you walk by a table and they tell you to take a bag or you'll have to purchase something onboard!

I lucked out the bag was pretty good. Milk, cereal and fruit. On the downside, one time I got just a granola bar that was awful!!!

I was on a Northwest flight once, just over two hours and got nothing! My last flights warned you there was no food service, to buy something to bring onbarod!!!

It's gotta make you smile! Does me, I take it as all part of the adventure of traveling!

Susie
Old March 13th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Pea

Default Re:

Apparently, it's not all flights, only certain flights. We got our meals on United from DC to Vegas, no charge.

On my last two flights on American, there was no food...no even the table or carry on stuff.

The new "TED" service, since it's a discount airlines, I believe that one is going to charge if you want a meal.

Pea
Old March 13th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re:

Pamda, just when we thought airline food had reached its lowest eb, in comes a new business for the airlines, bad food at high prices! (With packaging that rivals theMcDonalds' restaurant chain.)
I just wish they would tell us to bring a picnic snack from home and be done with it. It would just end the guessing game. Plus when people are on low carb and other such diets, they wouldn't need to worry about what mystery thay are about to be served.

Post Edited (03-13-04 11:24)
Old March 13th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Re:

On one early flight last year, which meant I was in the air during, what would be breakfast, we got absolutely nothing, not a peanut, not a pretzel...when I asked why, they said it was too early to load the plane.....Baloney....................

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 13th, 2004, 12:20 PM
cruisinKandJ

Default Re:

I haven'tflown that much lately, but I did check with Virgin Atlantic for our London flight. I am a diabetic and cannot skip meals. We get dinner out of L.A., a snack, and a small breakfast.

J.
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re:

I am never without fruit, trail mix, power bars, etc. in the Giant Tote Bag. I can remember (there were still planes with propellors in the fleets) that the airlines took great pride in their food.
Old March 14th, 2004, 09:07 AM
FreesiaE

Default RE

I have found that many airline prices are so low, that paying for lunch is fine with me! The airlines have had so much trouble since 09/11 that they've had to do something. I know that some people would rather have the $7-10 added back in the fare, what if you don't want what they have on board that day, you still have to pay for it. I'd rather have the option of bringing something on, or buying from the plane. I do think that they should tell passengers before hand, and give them the chance to "prebuy" on their ticket.
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re:

I always bring snacks! I'm very picky and 9 out of 10 times whatever I bring onboard is much better than whatever reheated TV dinner they are serving. Though I have a standing order for a fruit plate on long flights.

Cheers,
Michelle P.